Hampson will be number 1 ruck this year

Remove this Banner Ad

nobulltiger

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Maric to go into surgery, unknown return date apparently.

This opens up opportunity for griffiths as swing ruck as vickers is now permanent forward, make the most of it Benny!

I think we will be ok, I wonder what the future holds for Ivan! He has been part of the turn around and has copped a beating from it, our progress couldn't have been done without him and I hope he is still ok for when we get that success we all crave!

NBT, Ivan is critical to us in the second half of the year. If we need to do the right thing by this bloke and it takes two months for him to return, then let's give him the time. We're still over three weeks away from starting the season proper, so if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it happen now.

NBT, Ivan is critical to us in the second half of the year. If we need to do the right thing by this bloke and it takes two months for him to return, then let's give him the time. We're still over three weeks away from starting the season proper, so if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it happen now.

I agree but the thing is I just have this feeling hampson is going to be so good, we have to do the right thing with him too. It's emotionally conflicting inside!

A big blow but Hampson might thrive on the responsibility.

Agreed strawbs!

Tigerland is so good, we recruit so well

I think I'm having an emotional lift because it feels like footy is back

It's an anti depressant that works

Plus I get to rub it in to all my collingwood relatives regardless of it being NAB crap

As weird as it sounds, it could be a blessing in disguise for us. If we can manage without him for a while, and he comes back around the midway point, he will be fresh for the business end of the season, can only mean good things for us!

If this is true and he needs an op than im really disappointed the club didnt make the call earlier. Dont know by who but someone post that maric was struggling 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure know one gave this poster any credit but it looks like he may have known something.

Make know mistake this will be a big loss and hopefully its only a clean up. We need to manage him well and if worst case scenario he cant get through a full season than we will need to use Maric the same way the cats used Ottens.
Season is one thing but we will need him fit and firing for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yer he looks fit so that's good news.

Those calling it recruit of year haha go easy.

Agree, but if Ivan isn't playing, can we rely on just Griff to back up Hampson?

I think griff has sorted his problems (yeah it's pre season, can't give a full judgment) and right now if round 1 was next week if have griff in as hampsons back up. Keep Tyrone forward full time is something I've wanted for a couple years now

Yer he looks fit so that's good news.

Those calling it recruit of year haha go easy.
Not in terms of the best player but he may become the most important. If Maric goes down, without Hampson we are seriously rooted.

Hmm at the time I suspected going so hard for Hampson suggested the club knew Maric was likely to miss reasonable chunks of this season, if so great planning on their part, if it's coincidental well still great that they had the foresight to target a backup for one of our shallower positions. Depending on how many games Ivan misses this season could end up being one of our best trading decisions in recent times, I mean I'm skeptical of his skillset outside of the ruck but there's no denying he is far better than our alternatives for a no.1 ruckman.

However you can't get too carried away by pre-season performances, the other Maric kind of proved that, and to some extent Derickx (god only been a few months and I've forgotten how to spell his name..)

Hmm at the time I suspected going so hard for Hampson suggested the club knew Maric was likely to miss reasonable chunks of this season, if so great planning on their part, if it's coincidental well still great that they had the foresight to target a backup for one of our shallower positions. Depending on how many games Ivan misses this season could end up being one of our best trading decisions in recent times, I mean I'm skeptical of his skillset outside of the ruck but there's no denying he is far better than our alternatives for a no.1 ruckman.

However you can't get too carried away by pre-season performances, the other Maric kind of proved that, and to some extent Derickx (god only been a few months and I've forgotten how to spell his name..)

Spot on. Hampson is a far better tap ruckman IMO but not as good or as physical as Ivvy around the ground. If he comes back for the last half of the year to share the load, then that's a massive plus for us. Orren and Ty are reasonable insurance.

Griff has looked surprisingly good in the ruck and should be dangerous enough up forward, provided he remains aggressive and doesn't get injured or knocked out every 2nd game like he did at Coburg. The fact he is a threat anywhere inside 70m is a bonus. Has an amazing leg on him.

Spot on. Hampson is a far better tap ruckman IMO but not as good or as physical as Ivvy around the ground. If he comes back for the last half of the year to share the load, then that's a massive plus for us. Orren and Ty are reasonable insurance.

Griff has looked surprisingly good in the ruck and should be dangerous enough up forward, provided he remains aggressive and doesn't get injured or knocked out every 2nd game like he did at Coburg. The fact he is a threat anywhere inside 70m is a bonus. Has an amazing leg on him.

I think my favourite part about Hampson coming in and Griff emerging as a potential relief ruckman is it opens up the path for Vickery to spend full games in the forward line. It's great to see Griff being more confident in his body this preseason than last I saw him play, really hoping for both his and the teams sake he can have an injury free season so we can see what he is actually capable of. Also hoping we put that kick to good use and play him forward more while in the side.

Really considering not long ago our situation was "which ruck is less terrible?" It's rather nice to be able to think we actually have 2 who are potentially contesting for that no.1 role.

Spot on, Hampson insurance for Ivan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back