Opinion Hardwick's match day coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

They do pull moves all the time. But it's just activating a plan that was devised during the week.
If coaches "rip up the plan" they'll throw the whole side into disarray because it will be unknown territory and the poor little players will get confused.

So if you have exhausted all plans you are left with nothing???? a rudderless ship? Leadership starts with the head coach and if he cant implement a new plan thinking on his feet than the only option is to hope nothing goes wrong..... and if they do then I suppose we will hear every excuse from the book.

So if you have exhausted all plans you are left with nothing???? a rudderless ship? Leadership starts with the head coach and if he cant implement a new plan thinking on his feet than the only option is to hope nothing goes wrong..... and if they do then I suppose we will hear every excuse from the book.

I get what you're saying, no probs. I suppose when you're thru all the plans you would have to rip it up and have a crack at something.
My point is that when you're at that stage a coaching move aint going to help the situation.

Coach May as well spend match day back at the club preparing for next weeks Game if I was to believe you lot

You miss the point. All I'm saying is that coaching by the seat of your pants is over. You've got a bunch of line coaches in the box who've done a massive amount of work on the oppo and have plans and moves, and counter moves ready to go. When the trigger is pulled and identifying what is actually hurting or helping us is also part of the match day call, and the senior coach will drive that. But it aint Barassi yelling at his players to handball from the backline anymore.

I get what you're saying, no probs. I suppose when you're thru all the plans you would have to rip it up and have a crack at something.
My point is that when you're at that stage a coaching move aint going to help the situation.

History says otherwise..... take Stuart Dew forward in 2008?? apparently that was Dimmas move .... Sheeds sending the forwards back and defenders forward... etc

Its impossible to tick off every scenario and the game could be thrown up in the first 5 minutes.....

IMO the coach should be taking some of the burden in decison making off the players so they can concentrate on the game.....

How can we give the coach credit for resisting the temptation to put Dusty on the ball or half back flank and leaving him one out in the forward line when the crows have kicked 4 straight and hale it as a good move but we can't question him when there is a wrong match up on the ground and persisting with it for 11 weeks.

Nonsense on stilts.

What about in round 4 against the pies when we resisted the late change in a wet night to get rid of a tall while Buckley pulled the trigger in the warm up and that move paid dividends. Nonsense on stilts
What about the two times when we subbed our Ruckman at half time when A) he shouldn't have been played in the first place and B) he's panicking and throwing the game plan out the window that was so feverishly planned during the week?

This thread is farcical

Rusty, the concept of "match day" coaching is bullshit. What happens on match day is pre ordained in match committee meetings thru the week.
So I have no idea what decisions are made solely by the senior coach on match day, on an issue that has not come up in scenario meetings thru the week. It's just impossible to know.
So sorry, but I won't be drawn into that one. Your list is just another Hardwick bashing exercise based on nothing but a jaundiced view that's rapidly being shown to being wrong.
What happens on match day is not preordained fully
If this was the case DH wouldn't have made the same mistake twice. The Freo game and Karmicheal Hunt game and the CFC games within a month
If you're a believer preordained by God yes,but in the football world the brilliant coaches stand out by making the move when the situation of crises arises
DH has managed to pull a few rabbits out of the bag in the last month and to his credit he gets my praise
His test awaits him in Rd23 as it does on our players especially
Our leaders against a group of seasoned campaigners

Last edited:
They do pull moves all the time. But it's just activating a plan that was devised during the week.
If coaches "rip up the plan" they'll throw the whole side into disarray because it will be unknown territory and the poor little players will get confused.
A text book pupil in any field will not be practical or competent in the field without the real life scenario of experience and hands on

Overall coaching is improving....

He is learning that he can't build a team around a game plan but needs to make a game plan around a team. Players are starting to be used in their best positions and we are reaping the rewards. Hopefully this trend will continue for the remainder of his coaching career and we might become a very strong club. Hardwick has disappointed as a coach, despite being a very likable person, so far but I believe he has the skills he just needs to use them.

Overall coaching is improving....

He is learning that he can't build a team around a game plan but needs to make a game plan around a team. Players are starting to be used in their best positions and we are reaping the rewards. Hopefully this trend will continue for the remainder of his coaching career and we might become a very strong club. Hardwick has disappointed as a coach, despite being a very likable person, so far but I believe he has the skills he just needs to use them.
He did learn the hard way for the first 15 rounds that's for sure . The puzzling thing is why did he have to learn at all? It was school boy crap!

This is true..... but sometimes making decisions from the coaching box can be swift and more calculated... relying on the paying group to analyse the game as its in progress whilst in the heat of the battle can be difficult. Of course the scenarios should be drilled into the players and they should be looking at the flows of the game to judge what to do.... but a coach sitting in the box surrounded by a dozen analysts should be able to make better decisions to make the appropriate moves..

I agree with the 95% prep and %5 match day in the perfect world..... but sometimes you need to rip up the plan and go with ya gut.
West Coast game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens on match day is not preordained fully
If this was the case DH wouldn't have made the same mistake twice. The Freo game and Karmicheal Hunt game and the CFC games within a month
If you're a believer preordained by God yes,but in the football world the brilliant coaches stand out by making the move when the situation of crises arises
DH has managed to pull a few rabbits out of the bag in the last month and to his credit he gets my praise
His test awaits him in Rd23 as it does on our players especially
Our leaders against a group of seasoned campaigners
You say this every week we have a hard opposition. :rolleyes:

(Please keep saying it, he's obviously reading and we're winning because of it ;))

You say this every week we have a hard opposition. :rolleyes:

(Please keep saying it, he's obviously reading and we're winning because of it ;))
Thanks for giving me the go ahead:oops:
why did it take 14 weeks to come into fruition?:straining:
i will start 6 weeks b4 preseason 2015 to kick off our flag campaign along for next year:)

Thanks for giving me the go ahead:oops:
why did it take 14 weeks to come into fruition?:straining:
i will start 6 weeks b4 preseason 2015 to kick off our flag campaign along for next year:)
Can you at least say it this week against St Kilda first? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back