Rumour Harley Bennell

Remove this Banner Ad

He walked off the ground fine in that game. Didnt look proppy at all. Played 4 qtrs albeit on managed game time and looked unfit/puffed

I initially thought the calf claim out of that game was to just quiet public expectation given the plan was for a round 2 debut for freo
Making s**t up mate, he was hobbling around. Shouldn't have even played, mismanagement is the only scandal.

The AFL having their s**t together is what allows any "big scandal" to remain hidden.

Apart from further publicly demonising Bennell, and by extension the Suns, the Dockers and the league, what would a big "reveal" of any alleged off-field issue and subsequent trial-by-media really achieve?

Respect from the market place.

Respect from the market place.

The majority of the marketplace aren't BigFooty cynics with a distrusting or hateful attitude towards the league administration, though. And even then, the number whose actual custom would be affected or lost due to any alleged "cover up" would be very, very few.

Bennell was coming back through the WAFL, playing for Peel when he re injured his calf.

Hardly same thing. Even Ellis wasn't ruled out for entire year after injury pre season.

Two cases are very different

The majority of the marketplace aren't BigFooty cynics with a distrusting or hateful attitude towards the league administration, though. And even then, the number whose actual custom would be affected or lost due to any alleged "cover up" would be very, very few.

We all have a brain, but people can decide for themselves if they are being stooged repeatedly.
The AFL is poor in many areas and you don't need to read about it on bigfooty to know that.

We all have a brain, but people can decide for themselves if they are being stooged repeatedly.
The AFL is poor in many areas and you don't need to read about it on bigfooty to know that.

Yeah, but the majority of footy fans don't give nearly as much of a s**t about these alleged scandals and cover-ups as people on BigFooty do.

I doubt that simply stating that Bennell is injured and out for the remainder of the year is really going to turn off and turn away that many fans from the game.

Yeah, but the majority of footy fans don't give nearly as much of a s**t about these alleged scandals and cover-ups as people on BigFooty do.

I doubt that simply stating that Bennell is injured and out for the remainder of the year is really going to turn off and turn away that many fans from the game.
People i see from day to day at work, my local footy club or socially could not give a s**t about the AFL.
They don't talk about it apart from a raised eye brow or a toss of the head.
Bennell is just another brick in the wall rather than a simple isolated incident.
Control freaks can not continue to expect the publics leisure money.

Hardly same thing. Even Ellis wasn't ruled out for entire year after injury pre season.

Two cases are very different

If Freo was in a position to make finals, you would likely see them bring Bennell back this season.
The video explaining his calf issue with repeated tears seems like enough evidence. If he gets up to silly buggers I'm sure we will hear about it.

I was at the game mate. In the pocket where he walked off the ground. He was fine.
Perhaps. But then he injured the calf again.
“Harley sustained a calf injury on the 19th of March and since then has been undergoing a comprehensive rehabilitation program,” Dr Boyle said.
“During this rehabilitation phase, Harley has re-torn the area of the calf that was previously damaged and based on that information we feel that we need a longer period of time to rehabilitate the calf.
“We’ve sought opinions from national and international experts, their indication is that we just need to take a longer period of time to allow this tissue to heal properly and then to reload the calf so it can sustain the running conditioning we want him to be able to achieve.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tigers asked him to turn up to a meeting and and showed up 2 hours late. The Tigers then said thanks but no thanks.
The dude is obviously a flog and has believed his own hype and is now in a lot of trouble with his health.
He obviously needs help.

I've heard that his mum didn't want him to come back to WA and go to vic so he could make a fresh start
Mate, the only thing clean about Richmond is Trent Cotchin at full time.

“We’re talking about Harley Bennell here, which has led to a significant amount of debate where there appears to be people saying ‘hang on does he really have a calf injury or does he have something else?’

“So, the serious element to this is, if he has got something else why aren’t the clubs actually able to say that there is something else?

“Because there’s a long list of people that have got injuries that are not true… whether it’s illicit drugs, depression, problems at home or other family issues.

“Why aren’t football clubs big enough to say ‘out for the rest of the year because this is the issue’?

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/culbert-most-people-don-t-believe-freo#JSdM8lMZohmYjRBi.99

Clubs have been ringing me for many a week, people at clubs ringing saying if I was you I’d investigate Harley Bennell,” said Robinson on SEN radio.

“The best sources of knowledge are other clubs, absolutely.

“So you immediately think lifestyle, you think lifestyle with Harley, you think drugs okay that’s what you think – there’s no allegation but that’s what you think.

“He was caught a couple of years ago, stories on the Gold Coast, clubs avoided Harley because of his alleged behaviour so he goes to Fremantle.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/robbo-we-must-trust-clubs-with-other-issues#RHI7TEzb7W6XHuzC.99

Don't forget Bennell tried to fight him

The AFL having their s**t together is what allows any "big scandal" to remain hidden.

Apart from further publicly demonising Bennell, and by extension the Suns, the Dockers and the league, what would a big "reveal" of any alleged off-field issue and subsequent trial-by-media really achieve?

Its about integrity, and if the AFL is prepared to conspire to cover this up what else.....Demetriou tipping off Essendon they were under investigation and then Manufacturing an outcome to cover up the drug cheats. Tanking at Melbourne and Carlton etc

Last edited:
If bennel was AWOL surely there would be evidence by now.

Freo have just ruled him out rest of season because the GC and our fitness team messed his calf up big time.

Perhaps. But then he injured the calf again.
“Harley sustained a calf injury on the 19th of March and since then has been undergoing a comprehensive rehabilitation program,” Dr Boyle said.
“During this rehabilitation phase, Harley has re-torn the area of the calf that was previously damaged and based on that information we feel that we need a longer period of time to rehabilitate the calf.
“We’ve sought opinions from national and international experts, their indication is that we just need to take a longer period of time to allow this tissue to heal properly and then to reload the calf so it can sustain the running conditioning we want him to be able to achieve.”

what happened after that game or what was found i cant speak to

all i am saying is he reinjured the calf in that game, he's the worlds best actor with the highest tolerance for pain ive seen. was walking fine and competed well until the final siren

what happened after that game or what was found i cant speak to

all i am saying is he reinjured the calf in that game, he's the worlds best actor with the highest tolerance for pain ive seen. was walking fine and competed well until the final siren

The news at the time showed him running and then hopping along as if he had been shot? I don't know what happened afterwards as it was a short clip.

The news at the time showed him running and then hopping along as if he had been shot? I don't know what happened afterwards as it was a short clip.

did the footage show him near a subi player on the ground across the boundary line and another peel bloke, if so he was fine after that

subi bloke on the other hand did a serious knee

did the footage show him near a subi player on the ground across the boundary line and another peel bloke, if so he was fine after that

subi bloke on the other hand did a serious knee

I really didn't take much notice, it was just one of those short news items saying that he had injured his calf again and showed that footage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back