Rumour Harley Bennell

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if there is something other than an injury going on - what difference does it make to you? What changes? Why is it important to know if he's struggling with a personal issue?
I think you can link it all up to Freo's on going battles to recruit players.
When you have VFL clubs ruling players in or out on weekly skin folds, and how eager players are to drop everything to rush to a sudden time trial after a days work, Freo has guessed at best that blokes like Silvia and bennell can benefit the club in any meaningfull way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would much rather some transparancy ftom the AFL instead of treating its consumers like fools.
Do you really think the AFL and its arm of the media are going to report on how Harley is off the rails, in the face of Freo's reasoning?

I don't think so.

I've never got this logic with Bennell/Beams/Buddy.

The story goes that they have drug issues/3rd strike, but the AFL keeps it in-house because they want to protect their image, but they make up an injury and suspend the player anyway, just without anyone knowing.

Like...wouldn't you just let them keep playing if you wanted to protect the image? What's better for the AFLs image, having one of the best players in the comp in Buddy out for weeks and missing finals because you wanted to suspend him with rumours about a drug problem, or having him play anyway and tear up the comp making highlight reels with rumours about a drug problem?

I mean sure Bennell is probably enjoying himself, and there's video evidence of it, but I really don't see why he can't have a calf injury. Hell, you never know, his professionalism and partying might be the reason he has struggled to recover!...but I don't get the AFL conspiracy theories. Clearly the AFL does what the AFL wants, but I just don't see why they would secretly suspend players instead of letting them play...

I've never got this logic with Bennell/Beams/Buddy.

The story goes that they have drug issues/3rd strike, but the AFL keeps it in-house because they want to protect their image, but they make up an injury and suspend the player anyway, just without anyone knowing.

Like...wouldn't you just let them keep playing if you wanted to protect the image? What's better for the AFLs image, having one of the best players in the comp in Buddy out for weeks and missing finals because you wanted to suspend him with rumours about a drug problem, or having him play anyway and tear up the comp making highlight reels with rumours about a drug problem?

I mean sure Bennell is probably enjoying himself, and there's video evidence of it, but I really don't see why he can't have a calf injury. Hell, you never know, his professionalism and partying might be the reason he has struggled to recover!...but I don't get the AFL conspiracy theories. Clearly the AFL does what the AFL wants, but I just don't see why they would secretly suspend players instead of letting them play...

IF there are secret suspensions it still acts as a deterrent. That said I don't think this is occurring. I'm sceptical too, but it's not like the AFL is some local organisation where you may fudge peoples names or play a 13yr old in an under 12s comp.

IF there were dodgy things happening there would be more then people just thinking. It would be presented as fact somewhere.

“We’re talking about Harley Bennell here, which has led to a significant amount of debate where there appears to be people saying ‘hang on does he really have a calf injury or does he have something else?’

“So, the serious element to this is, if he has got something else why aren’t the clubs actually able to say that there is something else?

“Because there’s a long list of people that have got injuries that are not true… whether it’s illicit drugs, depression, problems at home or other family issues.

“Why aren’t football clubs big enough to say ‘out for the rest of the year because this is the issue’?

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/culbert-most-people-don-t-believe-freo#JSdM8lMZohmYjRBi.99

Clubs have been ringing me for many a week, people at clubs ringing saying if I was you I’d investigate Harley Bennell,” said Robinson on SEN radio.

“The best sources of knowledge are other clubs, absolutely.

“So you immediately think lifestyle, you think lifestyle with Harley, you think drugs okay that’s what you think – there’s no allegation but that’s what you think.

“He was caught a couple of years ago, stories on the Gold Coast, clubs avoided Harley because of his alleged behaviour so he goes to Fremantle.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/robbo-we-must-trust-clubs-with-other-issues#RHI7TEzb7W6XHuzC.99

“We’re talking about Harley Bennell here, which has led to a significant amount of debate where there appears to be people saying ‘hang on does he really have a calf injury or does he have something else?’

“So, the serious element to this is, if he has got something else why aren’t the clubs actually able to say that there is something else?

“Because there’s a long list of people that have got injuries that are not true… whether it’s illicit drugs, depression, problems at home or other family issues.

“Why aren’t football clubs big enough to say ‘out for the rest of the year because this is the issue’?

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/culbert-most-people-don-t-believe-freo#JSdM8lMZohmYjRBi.99

Clubs have been ringing me for many a week, people at clubs ringing saying if I was you I’d investigate Harley Bennell,” said Robinson on SEN radio.

“The best sources of knowledge are other clubs, absolutely.

“So you immediately think lifestyle, you think lifestyle with Harley, you think drugs okay that’s what you think – there’s no allegation but that’s what you think.

“He was caught a couple of years ago, stories on the Gold Coast, clubs avoided Harley because of his alleged behaviour so he goes to Fremantle.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-16/robbo-we-must-trust-clubs-with-other-issues#RHI7TEzb7W6XHuzC.99

Robbo would be one that should worry that someone may investigate his behaviour....f...wit of the highest order. That he is paid to basically s**t can other people is a disgrace even if some of it turns out to be true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back