PC "Hatred"

Remove this Banner Ad

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
***Warning to any people who find extreme violence offensive there is a bit in the trailer*****

The game trailer for this has caused a bit of a stir in internet land for it's depiction of the player being a genocidal maniac where the goal is to go out and commit mass murder on the public. I have been reading through the gtaforums thread on this and people have linked some of the developers, as well as the CEO to polish neo nazi groups. With that in mind, they say there is no coincidence that all but 2 of the people shown to be executed in the game's trailer are non-whites. No doubt the media will have a field day with this one.

I think it raises an interesting question about context of killing in games. Certainly GTA gives us free reign to mow down peds, so is it different than this? Does the morality of the character and his/her motivations change anything, or is killing killing?

Last edited:
I think it all comes down to the way its presented.

Because, even the motivation of Trevor in GTA V would be similar. You know, I remember the crazy Trevor missions where you get like a mini gun and just mow down everyone that comes your way. But it was presented as cartooney, arcadey, very much displaying that this is a video game.

Whereas this, with the dark and serious undertones, probably does make it all seem a bit too realistic.

I think it all comes down to the way its presented.

Because, even the motivation of Trevor in GTA V would be similar. You know, I remember the crazy Trevor missions where you get like a mini gun and just mow down everyone that comes your way. But it was presented as cartooney, arcadey, very much displaying that this is a video game.

Whereas this, with the dark and serious undertones, probably does make it all seem a bit too realistic.

IIRC the people in Trevor's rampages insulted him about his appearance/Canadian accent etc so there was a bit of different context (I'm not saying that makes it better mind you) than this guy. I think perhaps this game is getting more heat is because unlike GTA the only point of the game seems to be mass murder Elliot Rodger style.

Gameplay wise I think the novelty (if there is any) would wear off pretty quick.

Who the * would make a game like this let alone buy it. Yes there are strong arguments for what you can do in GTA being similiar but um no one could argue GTA doesnt have entertainment value.

Not sure what sort of entertainment this is supposed to bring and Im a person that doesnt mind a bit of dark in their media.

The whole "I hate everything, I'm going to kill you all" thing is going to push some buttons but is it really that bad? It always amuses me that this kind of thing causes so much outrage, yet you exchange the main character for a soldier and the civilians for terrorists and everyone is happy.

The whole "I hate everything, I'm going to kill you all" thing is going to push some buttons but is it really that bad? It always amuses me that this kind of thing causes so much outrage, yet you exchange the main character for a soldier and the civilians for terrorists and everyone is happy.
That's the point. The 'protagonist' provokes no sympathy whatsoever. His 'enemies' are reasonable people trying to stop a murdering psychopath who's potentially emo.

If you swapped them around the way you did, of course it would be bloody acceptable. Your enemies would be the arseholes you'd want to kill. Not random people off the street and police doing their jobs.

The characterisation is what makes this outrageous.

That's the point. The 'protagonist' provokes no sympathy whatsoever. His 'enemies' are reasonable people trying to stop a murdering psychopath who's potentially emo.

If you swapped them around the way you did, of course it would be bloody acceptable. Your enemies would be the arseholes you'd want to kill. Not random people off the street and police doing their jobs.

The characterisation is what makes this outrageous.

But they're not, they're polygons on your TV/monitor, and this is what I find amusing...... people's inability to separate entertainment from reality. It's a game, moral issues shouldn't apply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back