FTA-TV Having the umpires mic'ed up makes the TV coverage practically unlistenable

Remove this Banner Ad

beside the seaside

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2023
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have to admit I often watch the footy without the sound because I find a lot of the commentators over the top. However recently I watched a few games with the headphones on to not wake up sleeping kids.

I just can not believe how constant and annoying the sound of the umpires voices is. I assume they have put this in so that we know what each free is for. Surely if there's a controversial free we can hear the mic's in the replay? We now have to listen to:

"Me, no you, stand, stand, STAND, back a metre, BACK A METRE, me, now you, play on"

the entire game.

Whoever made the decision to have this as part of the coverage needs to actually sit and listen to it and say yeah we made a bad call. It is so unnecessary and basically makes the coverage unlistenable. When you go to a live game you don't need to hear them so why do we need them on TV?

I have to admit I often watch the footy without the sound because I find a lot of the commentators over the top. However recently I watched a few games with the headphones on to not wake up sleeping kids.

I just can not believe how constant and annoying the sound of the umpires voices is. I assume they have put this in so that we know what each free is for. Surely if there's a controversial free we can hear the mic's in the replay? We now have to listen to:

"Me, no you, stand, stand, STAND, back a metre, BACK A METRE, me, now you, play on"

the entire game.

Whoever made the decision to have this as part of the coverage needs to actually sit and listen to it and say yeah we made a bad call. It is so unnecessary and basically makes the coverage unlistenable. When you go to a live game you don't need to hear them so why do we need them on TV?
It's less about having them miked up and more about how it sits in the overall mix. Ch7 has them very prominent whereas Fox sits them underneath everything else and only brings them up when it's relevant. I like being able to hear explanations of decisions though - it sounds weird watching a preseason game and they're not present.

It's less about having them miked up and more about how it sits in the overall mix. Ch7 has them very prominent whereas Fox sits them underneath everything else and only brings them up when it's relevant. I like being able to hear explanations of decisions though - it sounds weird watching a preseason game and they're not present.
Ok maybe that's the issue then. I'll keep an ear out on the fox coverage as it was definitely channel seven games that were the problem.

Ok maybe that's the issue then. I'll keep an ear out on the fox coverage as it was definitely channel seven games that were the problem.
The channel 7 overloud whistle volume and the constant umpire yap, along with its inexpert commentary led by BT, are all terrible - that’s why I completely mute the channel 7 sound and have the radio on instead - even though the radio commentary is several seconds ahead.

the entire game.

PLAY ON... PLAY ON... PLAY ON...

FFS you numpties, you should never need to say play on. The whistle indicates a stoppage, everything else is play on by default. Yelling play on is like having a fire alarm sound to tell you all is well

STFU

Couldn't agree more. Turn them off unless there's a weird free kick we need to hear about

PLAY ON... PLAY ON... PLAY ON...

FFS you numpties, you should never need to say play on. The whistle indicates a stoppage, everything else is play on by default. Yelling play on is like having a fire alarm sound to tell you all is well

STFU

Couldn't agree more. Turn them off unless there's a weird free kick we need to hear about
Play on indicates the player on the mark can move, it's actually kinda important...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise play on is the default and it needn't be said most of the time right?

WTF are you arguing? Create a new account for this? Touch grass pal
You mean you don't understand why it needs to be said.

New account? What are you talking about?

They say it in that context maybe 3% of the time. Every tackle, attempted tackle, 5050, contest they say it. Its dumb af
Umpires have used in that way for as long as I can remember, in all levels of football. It's part of good communication with players (e.g. no mark, play on etc.).

They're not doing it for your benefit...

Umpires have used in that way for as long as I can remember, in all levels of football. It's part of good communication with players (e.g. no mark, play on etc.).

They're not doing it for your benefit...
Does not need to be said. The default for a player is to play on. Stop defending pointless s**t

Also, turn the mics off if it isn't for our benefit. Agreed

Off topic but the umpires are not there to coach the players ie: Stand! Stand! Play on! play on! etc etc.

If the players don't know the rules then that is the players fault.

Call it once not 3 or 4 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back