Hawkin's gooooone

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid little niggly incidents like that should still have some points attached to simply tell the player to watch it and pull their head in. I guess I am thinking along similar lines to accumulated yellow cards over the course of a season eventually resulting in a suspension.

For any contact to the face of an opponent deemed intentional (so not in the act of play), jumper punch or no, give them 34 points. That would end up being 3 incidents (ie 102 points total) without an early plea resulting in a suspension. If they admit to the offence, then it would be 4 incidents (34 points -25% = 26.5 points, so that x 4 = 106 points) resulting in an eventual suspension.

Ultimately, if the AFL are serious about protecting the head, then introducing something like this as even a slight deterrent would help IMO. And it's not as if the player could cry foul if they've already had 2 or 3 official warnings about their conduct.

And for those saying it would make the game more soft, just think that a blood nose or even perforated eardrum can easily result from the force applied in most jumper punches. And in AFL land, we all know they instantly get graded more harshly than a glance to the jaw or chin, despite the exact same force being applied.

Nothing in it. Jumper punches are insufficient force. Therefore he has nothing to worry about.
Funny that the OP thinks that what happened was reportable. If you were a local umpire you wouldn't be getting a senior game. You would be dropped to u/18's

Gotta go. Look at the slow mo and you can see the displacement of stratts jaw. He could have potentially broken his jaw or smashed his teeth. Take away the jumper the clear intent was to punch him. Luckily stratts hasn't the temperament to retaliate. If he tried that one on lake we'd be talking about another incident.

Reprimand. You see his head move so there was clearly some force if only small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always understood a jumper punch to be when you have hold of a bloke's collar, and you move your arms back and forth in an action that looks like a punch, but without making any contact to the body.

So this isn't a jumper punch. It's just someone hitting someone else in the head. There's probably a case to be made about insufficient force, but normally I reckon he'd go.

The thing is, it's high contact behind play, which is graded as intentional. So if it's not graded as insufficient force it might be a couple of weeks (I might be wrong, someone smarter than me can do the maths). I just reckon the MRP will cop out of this one.

Wasn't a jumper punch.
If they do it by the text book it's 225 points, or 1 week with an early plea.
He's not known for being a thug, so that along with finals discount and Cat's not having any other forwards will probably see him get off. Just lucky Stratton didn't do a Sooky la la Johnson flop.

Didn't Varcoe punch a bloke twice like this in one game against and didn't even get reprimanded?

Robinson must have had a bad record and points left over to cop two weeks for that, surely.

3 times, it was to Nic Suban but it was a jumper punch so #insufficientforce

Should be gone, well and truly enough force to receive a week.
Very, very lucky that Stratts took it like a man and didn't drop like most players would have after the contact.
Wont get a week, finals, Geelong, only forward etc
Right......

I reckon touch and go between 1 week and none, hopefully none

No chance of getting suspended. Not because he's a Geelong player, not because he's a star player and it's finals, not because he's their only forward but because there was nothing in it.

Pathetic thread.

No chance of getting suspended. Not because he's a Geelong player, not because he's a star player and it's finals, not because he's their only forward but because there was nothing in it.

Pathetic thread.
But there clearly was something in it.

Besides, if Fyfe is going to sit out 2 weeks for bumping a guy and making similar contact to the jaw, why should we let Hawkins chin a bloke with a closed fist and all put it down as being A-OK and nothing to penalise.

That's really odd thinking.

Whilst I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it copping a suspension, I'm not comfortable that you can get a whack in the jaw like that intentionally and outside the play. That's just being a thug.

I'm in the same boat, it wasn't a jumper punch in the traditional sense, Where you grab a bloke's jumper, chest on and thump his chest.
This was Hawkins grabbing his jumper at the shoulder a connecting to the chin, then a half clench to the throat.
The first punch should be looked at, the second a free kick.

He's lucky he hit someone who isn't a soft**** and didn't play it up more than what it was. If it was someone like Goodes or Stevie J who would fall down clutching their face to get a free kick, he'd get a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back