Autopsy Hawks defeated by Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort to give ourselves a chance after being down 6 goals. It’s pleasing that we didn’t allow Geelong to smash us by 10 goals. With a few key players back in I reckon we can beat them. They aren’t that great.

Thought Lewis played well, Worps good, Brand very solid, Roughie also solid, Sicily very good, Hendo was a star and Big Boy was a beast.

Outside of that Jaeger was good in patches but lacked support but no one else really stood up consistently.

Nash, Mirra and Cuz were all poor today and Harry needs to find some form. I think Cuz stays as he has been solid overall but the other 3 guys probably make way.

I have no doubt in my mind that one day Worpel will be a future captain of this club. The kid has had a sensational second season so far. What’s more impressive is the fact that he’s playing well without Mitchell and Shiels by his side.
Worpel is gun but needs the help in the middle otherwise he will became like Patrick Cripps getting banged up every game.

- Mitch Lewis and James Cousins. Hrmmmm... not sold on either. Happy to keep Cousins in mainly due to our lack of midfield depth and potential, but only one of Nash or Lewis should be playing in a perfect world. I'm going Nash, just, but happy with either.

Go Hawks!

Mitchell Lewis needs some games. Not sure that Nash vs Lewis was even a question, after today's game. One gave it his all and the other stamped his papers for the next month at VFL level. Lewis looked like a target players can kick to and will either mark it, bring it to ground or scrap it out. The Nash effort today, looked like the first two games Lewis played in 2018.

Go Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it time to see sis up fwd? i mean i know he provides good rebound but we are crying out for a guy of his ilk in our f50. I think our fans would love to see sis up fwd and making a impact remember that game against the kangas where he booted 5, I thought he was the next dermie. :think:

Did anyone else see the Gunston-shaped hole in the forward line today?

I don't normally second guess Clarko, but I didn't see him have an effect down back. Switch with Nash could happened at half time
We don’t hit up targets on the forward line anymore so I don’t think it would of mattered,but at the moment he couldn’t hit a barn door from 20 feet,same as choker Breust

Seems like we are missing our former fitness and Conditioning guru in Andrew Russell

I actually think it's because we are playing unfit blokes. Trouble is our fit blokes are at BH and aren't good enough at this point of time to take over from an unfit senior player. To give a brutal example I watched Harry Taylor in the first half and thought what has happened to him his running gate is of a 70 year old man (even though he was hurting us a bit, he was noticeably slower than I could ever remember in my life) fast forward to the last quarter and the ball goes out the back of him and Roughy and he puts 3m on Roughy over perhaps 10m at most and it was arguable Roughy was on the burst first. I was actually shocked as I thought Roughy looked fitter earlier and Harry was playing close to his last game. Our repetitive short sprint speed is horrid at the moment compared to other clubs as games go on.

So our game style of poor little poppy fighting for ball in the air against 2 and 3 defenders surely has to stop.

Watching us at the moment there is a real disconnect from half back to half forward and we don’t seem to be able to ever hit up a leading forward anymore.

It seems like each goal we kick is scrapped from a crumb and never really a result of our good play up the field but more designed around a lucky bounce of the ball that might go our way.

Is the way we deliver into our forward line starting to look perplexing? Bombing the ball onto 2 talls vs Puopolo? Bombing it high, into the forward line, with zero marking potential, time after time? And what was with the lack of dare, today? Slow build up down the wing, just for an easy turnover?! Hard to watch game plan, at times. Really not quite sure what the game plan is, at the moment.

I mean, great effort, but that game plan looked short of on-field direction.

Interesting that we played Gunston in defence for most of the day. I wonder what Clarko saw that made him move Gunston back there, especially as he barely got near it all day & we clearly lacked up forward?

Playing 7x Defenders meant that they had an extra around the ball & when rebounding from half-back & they cut us up all day by doing so. Although it worked very well in 2017, it wasn’t good at all today & cost us.

Also meant that we had to play BigBoy far deeper than we’d have liked. Whilst his marking & goaling was fantastic, he needs to be doing that between the arcs & across the middle: giving us a target when coming out of defence or holding the ball up so we can set our zones BEFORE bombing long into attack.

I'm happy Mitch Lewis and Kaiden Brand played well, give them a decent run at it.

Isaac Smith needs a week off to get over the wrist injury.

Unfortunately we are carrying Nash and Mirra, hopefully Stratts is ok next week and Mirra is out.

I thought Morrison found some touch today, Scrimshaw was good.

We have a few under performing at the moment, I'd be looking for improvement from Bruest, Gunston, Wingard, Scully and Smith. Get those guys going and we are a different team.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back