Preview Hawks v Pusscats : Changes and predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit baffled by some of the selections. Last week we were top heavy, this week week we have done nothing to change that. Don't know who is going to Motlop their 2nd most dangerous forward, surely not Suckling. Duryea is an emergency, he may replace Suckling who is under aan injury cloud. Hope so.lee

Maybe Burgers on Motlop?

I sense man management for finals

I think it is more the depth in our squad and the competition for spots.
I also think omitted means there was a better option available.

I'm waiting for Robbo's article on "you never count your money, when you're sitting at the table, for there'll be time enough for the counting when the dealings done."

Clarko is playing poker and not showing his cards plain and simple. In Clarko we trust. Remember we play Geelong most likely first week of finals.

T
Says omitted next to McEvoys name on the website and nothing next to Shoeys name seems he is the one being rested.
Think you might be wrong there. This is the first time in two years we've had a full complement of talls to choose from. What we're getting by way of selection this week, is an insight into the selection commitee's take on the pecking order when all hands are on deck. Sort of answers the question posed in another thread: " is Shoey in our best 22?"

I don't agree with talk of ducks & drakes or poker analogies. Two weeks out from finals we need to find form. Winning form is good form & a balanced & settled team is paramount. If we were to make four changes come finals (with the depth we have & minimal injuries) I'd be worried. Best 22 shouldn't be a week by week proposition by round 22!

T

Think you might be wrong there. This is the first time in two years we've had a full complement of talls to choose from. What we're getting by way of selection this week, is an insight into the selection commitee's take on the pecking order when all hands are on deck. Sort of answers the question posed in another thread: " is Shoey in our best 22?"

Or it could be the opposite, as someone else said their could be a bit of poker going on here.

Anyone of Birchall, Burgoyne and Stratton are all capable of playing on small forwards when required. One thing about Stratton that's underrated is his closing speed. He's a lot quicker then some may think.

I would suggest Ceglar and Hale get this weekend going head to head to determine who partners McEvoy in September.

Id concur. We are very much in silly season

Interesting to note how saturdays line ups for both teams compare to the qualifying final

Suppose geelong burn us with small forward pace on saturday, they might be confident. Then in comes litherland for the final

Just an example

He gets more opportunity to, because he plays forward more. There's no way Hale can run like McEvoy can though, and get back and take a defensive, contested mark. He is currently is a liability, because he can't run out of sight in a fog, and has hands of concrete.

On McEvoy. I wonder how long it takes a player to go from being in an ordinary system, with ordinary coaches and a rubbish culture to a club like ours and fit in and succeed. Maybe it will take a season to adapt.
I agree mate, I was disappointed when I saw that McEvoy was out and Hale kept his spot. I like the combo of McEvoy and Ceglar. Hoping it is only giving him a spell for the week.
I think it was always going to take him a year to get used to the new structures and the way the Hawks go about it. I think he has been pretty good this year, however as of next season, I think we will see the best of the Big Boy.

Happy that four of the five changes I wanted came through.
Would also have had Lithers for Suckers, but glad to see Shoe out.
Although, every chance he will come in for Spang and Duryea for Suckers.
Will tune in to ABC1 at 1pm Satdee to see who is playing for Box Hill.
Reckon they will rest/drop Hale next week.
Ceglar needs to do a Renouf and cement his spot just before September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Langers could do the job on Motlop. No Johnson to tag means Motlop is their most dangerous non tall forward.

Hopefully Lake will find some form on Porky and Gibbo and Stratts will improve on last week. Spangher down back gives us another contested marking option which we will need come September when teams try the "tried and tested" strategy of bombing it long into our forward 50.

Hale took 9 marks and kicked 2 goals, McEvoy took 4 marks and didn't trouble the scoreboard.

Clarkson clearly wants rucks that can have an impact in the forward line and despite Hale being down on his form the last few years, he's still hitting the scoreboard and offering a good target up forward.
But Hale is the second ruckman. He has more time forward. Not sure if McEvoy has been given enough of an opportunity forward to prove himself.

Spangher gives a lot more flexibility then Schoey who has been looking as stiff as a Russian Boxer! Sewell coming in means Langers can play down back on oppo mid size quick forwards like I stated just three days a go..is Clarko reading BF for ideas??!! Sewell in is a beauty! If he gets going then he could easily be the catalyst in rotating our best Inside Mids in Lewy and Sammy plus gives us grunt and experience. I seriously hope Sewelly gets really going not just for this game but I believe with him in the team we are a better Inside team. But our problem is that there seems to be no rebound from defence, for players like Hill and Smith to take the game on they need intercept marking and quick clean ball out to them! This has been fault earring recently and with Suckling and Birchall taken out of the game too easily that makes our backs kick the ball out of defensive 50 in a rush! I hope that Lake & Stratton get going cuz they are the keys that hold everything together, the rest are doing quite ok.

Surprised Hale has retained his spot at the expense of McEvoy. Hopefully those who say it's just so Ceglar and Hale can compete for who will go in next to McEvoy in September are right.

Also surprised Litherland didn't get back in with Duryea being dropped. We look too tall and slow down back now. I guess they want to have Lake, Gibbo and Spangher to be able to take Hawkins, Kersten and Blicavs/McIntosh.

I'm a big supporter of Schoey but can admit that role or not he's failed to make much impact on games lately. Needs confidence.

And for what it's worth to those superstitious types... This will be the first H&A Hawks v Cats game I won't be at since the 2008 GF. It's also only the second time since the 2008 GF that my dad will have tipped the Hawks vs the Cats. The last time being "by under a goal" in last years PF. He's tipped Hawks by "over 8 goals" this time.

Once again, against the side we always struggle against, Clarko picks his favourites instead of trying something new. Hale, has offered nothing all season yet is in the side and Suckling has nothing but a left foot and a cute kicking action and always is left wanting against the top side remains in the side. Two of Clarko's favourite who always get selected for the big games, but excluding the prelim, neither have offered a whole lot against the good sides.

I struggle to see how McEvoy needs another rest.

Schoenmakers, as vanilla as he has been, must be lost for words as to why he's sent to the VFL and Hale is the first selected every week. Hale must have one KPI for his games and it being "Turn up to the ground before the game starts."

Liquors pace & peg is whats needed
Seems as though Litherland is not in the plan come finals time. Since he resigned he has not played a senior game. Because of all the injuries and suspensions the side has never been settled, but I'm very worried with 4 changes just before the finals. I'm sure these players are not being rested. I hope we don't lose our chance of a Premiership at the selection table. Someone suggested earlier that we were trying to have a shootout. Cannot believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back