Autopsy Hawks v tigers....blerrrrk

Remove this Banner Ad

Largest ever crowd between the two sides.

Seemed a lot bigger than last week. This week about 10-150 minutes into the 1st and they were bringing the overflow from Ponsford stand into the AFL members. Went from being an enjoyable time with plenty of room to being a packed sardine.

We need a plan B for when ‘the long ball to Roughy and bringing to ground for the smalls to work’ plan doesn’t work.. clubs with good intercept players like Rance seem to always work us over..

I liked the move of Burton to the forward line in the last.

Taylor Duryea.... 3 super clangers at least. Funny thing they all started off ok and in a split second he coughed up the ball for them to goal. Too many goals from turnovers; and

Dylan Grimes. What a dog act. Poppy had been ragged doll by your mate and then you jump on top of him when he flat out unable to defend himself. What a real hero you are Grimes.

Agree with other than Langers needed a week or two at Box Hill to get some match condition. He isn’t a skillful enough player to just come straight back in with no pre season and have an impact..

The pressure from Richmond was much more evident than last week from the Cats. There was no space out there. Richmond didn't seem to care to win first possession, just hang off the back of Hawthorn players waiting, and they proved very hard to tackle once they get possession.

Duryea and Howe have has been so involved this year, but they do makes mistakes that are really costly. Howe has fumbled too often and that kills momentum. Otherwise, both have been good.

You don't beat Richmond by not running and kicking high, long, SLOW balls up the boundary.
You beat Richmond by running through and around their zone by quick kicks and running in numbers.

Poorly coached and poorly prepared.

I said before the game that if Haw. had a plan to stop the Richmond defensive zone a kick up the ground, then Haw. were in with a chance. They didn't have a plan and the Tigs feasted on this. Caused turnovers and made Haw. be pretty to get out of trouble.

We got 70+ points from not bombing the ball high to Nooneinparticular yet it was still the coaching directive.

Richmond were crap, but Hawthorn were crap-er.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the 6 day break killed us. Watching at the game, we always looked flat, and it felt Richmond had an extra player or two, particularly up front.

TOB has really offered nothing in 3 games now, unfortunately I think that experiment is over. Langford may as well have not been playing but he’ll be better for the run. Sicily is so freaking important to our structure. You could see why Gunners had to play back but we look a million times better with him forward and Sic back.

There are 6-7 places up for grabs including Doc, Howe, brand, Langers, Hendo, TO.
Next week, Glass, Siss, Cousins, JOR, Lewis worth consideration.

Huh? Hendo was one of our best in the first two weeks and Howe isn’t close to being dropped.

Hawthorn FC

✔@HawthornFC

Clarko: The quality that Richmond were able to get from their midfield was stronger than ours. There were 8-12 occasions today that they just used their sheer strength to break the tackle.

There are 6-7 places up for grabs including Doc, Howe, brand, Langers, Hendo, TO.
Next week, Glass, Siss, Cousins, JOR, Lewis worth consideration.
Howe has been one of our most impressive players this year. Don’t get that comment.

You don't beat Richmond by not running and kicking high, long, SLOW balls up the boundary.
You beat Richmond by running through and around their zone by quick kicks and running in numbers.

Poorly coached and poorly prepared.

I said before the game that if Haw. had a plan to stop the Richmond defensive zone a kick up the ground, then Haw. were in with a chance. They didn't have a plan and the Tigs feasted on this. Caused turnovers and made Haw. be pretty to get out of trouble.

We got 70+ points from not bombing the ball high to Nooneinparticular yet it was still the coaching directive.

Richmond were crap, but Hawthorn were crap-er.

Harsh but true.

I don't know if it is possible to completely re-tool your game plan week to week, but clearly ours wasn't working.

Hawthorn FC

✔@HawthornFC

Clarko: Chip Frawley coming back helped with our stability, but we're a pretty young defence trying to find our way. At different stages, I thought they hung in there pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back