Autopsy Hawks v tigers....blerrrrk

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interested to see how the Cats pull up as well, particularly having to fly to Perth.

Maybe the shorter break made some difference, but we fought it out to the end so not sure we can really use that e,fuse overly much
Eagles played on Sunday the Tiges played on Thursday

He's probably a 3rd tall in era where most teams are playing 2 talls and 4 smalls in the forward line
With the 'potent' small forwards we have and as many suggest we bring the ball to the ground so they can kick a winning score. To get constantly out marked in our forward line is cause for concern.

Thought JOM had another good hit out. Seems to be building into the year.

Interesting that Cotchin's first comment after the match was that it's always hard to come up after a 6 day break(speaking about how Hawthorn fought it out).

I reckon it had an impact, especially only two rounds in, although I know some people here think it wouldn't.
I don’t buy into that. 6 day breaks are common and no excuse for professional players. It’s just the inequality of them coming off a 9 day break which could be a factor particularly with today’s heat.

On the whole not too disappointed a lot to learn from the game.

Burton and Impy changes in the fourth flipped things around.

Bruest played well- best cyril game in a while also.

I’m expecting a win next week hopefully I’m not disappointed

When Omeara second halfs start mirroring his first half he's gonna be zooming, haven't seen much improvement in his second half's so far but his first half you can see much more freedom and confidence building each week. Was bets on for us at half time with some super dangerous clearances.

Also pretty happy with the result, I was damn sure it be 50+ at 3/4 time.
You can definitely notice the difference between his first and second halves, which when it comes to problems is definitely one of the bettter ones to have, give it a couple of months and he will be raring to go.
The most pleasing thing from these early games is that he looks capable of being the player Hawthorn hoped he’d be when trading for him.

I don’t buy into that. 6 day breaks are common and no excuse for professional players. It’s just the inequality of them coming off a 9 day break which could be a factor particularly with today’s heat.
6 day breaks are common, sure, but the initial part of the season is all about getting into the grind.

Ask a player, and they'll say that the the recovery in the first couple of week is harder than once you've built into the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond clogged up our forward line so well. There was no space or movement, and no one looked dangerous. Very frustrating.

Then every time Richmond attacked they had paddocks of space. The game had a sense of doom hanging over it.

Out coached i guess, and out played.

Question marks have to be on Duyrea and O’Brien. I dare say both will play - but there’s a big target on their backs if some of the Box Hill lads want to step up.
Don't know if it's possible but did they both shoot themselves in the back?

It wouldn’t be the worst idea to play Burton forward to get his confidence back so he can find some form.

Gunston needs to go back as a permanent forward. It’s effecting his kicking at goal.

O’Meara was solid in the second half. He’s slowly building some form.

There’s no run coming out of defense. Glass needs to be in the team in place of Duryea.

Not a season killer. Win would have been great obviously, but not such a bad result. Few extra days break and give us Sicily and Burger and we probably win that game.

Too many passengers. McEvoy, Mitchell and O'Meara carried our midfield. Stratton and Hardwick saved our skin many times. Roughead, Poppy, Breust and Rioli fought hard up forward. Everyone else bordered on serviceable (Hendo, Morrison, Gunston) to poor.

Our gameplan was horrible. It consisted of bombing it long and allowing our small forwards to crumb - which may have worked against Geelong (who were missing their key intercept players) but Rance and Astbury ate us alive. Only in the last quarter when we moved Burton onto Rance did we seem to overcome that barrier and lower our eyes. Our outside runners in Smith and Impey NEVER lowered their eyes which resulted in 2 contested marks inside forward 50 and 3QT. For this reason I don't blame Timmy O for his poor performance, because the kicks were never to his advantage. Seriously, we seemed to target Rance every time.

Midfield was good but tired. Mitchell, McEvoy and O'Meara carried us through the first half then tired in the second. Still managed to generate plenty of inside 50's but we were wasteful.

Backline was perplexing. We went with Brand, Gunston, Burton and Frawley as our talls against only Riewoldt. Frawley was terrible while Brand was serviceable. Gunston was wasted down back when we couldn't score. Burton quiet. They seemed to constantly outnumber us and got easy handball goals. Special mention to Duryea here, who single-handedly cost us close to 4 goals through indecisiveness. Frustrating stuff.

Overall, our skills errors hurt us. We gifted Richmond easy goals. We looked lethargic and tired. We challenged hard, and had we had an extra 5-10 minutes we perhaps could have won. But we have no-one but ourselves to blame. Richmond didn't play exceptionally well. They just played to their strengths and we let them. Really frustrating loss.

It wouldn’t be the worst idea to play Burton forward to get his confidence back so he can find some form.

Gunston needs to go back as a permanent forward. It’s effecting his kicking at goal.

Schoenmakers coming back won’t help at all.

Agree re- Burton needs to play up forward just to get confidence back. Showed glimpses in the fourth

Schoenmakers coming back won’t help at all.
You think its by chance the first game Schoenmakers misses and our forward structure turns to s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back