Preview Hawks vs The Tigers : IN Lake, OUT Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to laugh at some posts, and sometimes wonder if we are all being dead set or just taking the piss..

Have I read right about Mitchel being fat?
Simpkin in the 21 ahead of Suckling?
Simpkin playing well on Monday?
Dropping Mcevoy after 1 game coming back from injury?

Anyone would think we are a basket case.

I can't see why we would make whole sale changes, we all know we have significant ins when all are fit but at this stage for Clarko to change a whole lot would be crazy.

In - Lake
Out - Cheney

Sub - Simpkin

When Jedi is back he needs to play a few in the 2s and get him in asap and give Schoey 1 more week down at Box Hill and slot him in as our Ben Reid swing man. Hartung is also racking them at Box Hill, if he has a few more games like the weekend and a spot opens up throw him in! Litherland and Wanganeen both disappointing at the lower level, not sure why we should continue to try and develop them.

Why??? I would have thought Suckling or Duryea before Cheney. Cheney on a similar type to himself would rip him a new one.

Why may you ask? Suckling wants to play like a superstar. When it comes to the crunch he goes missing.
Duryea, prob needs some confidence that he can actually play the role.

Would it be outrageous to suggest Grimley might be a possibility this week? My theory last week was Hallahan would come in due to the fact that the Hawks site had a showreel for him last week. Bad theory I know but....

If Mitch playing his 250th can't inspire the team then maybe Silk also playing his 250th will add that little bit more ;)

I would like to see
B Luke Hodge, Brian Lake, Ben Stratton

HB Taylor Duryea, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall

C Brad Hill, Sam Mitchell, Isaac Smith

HF Jack Gunston, David Hale, Cyril Rioli

F Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, Paul Puopolo

Fol Ben McEvoy, Shaun Burgoyne, Will Langford

I/C Mitch Hallahan, Jordan Lewis, Jonathan Simpkin

Sub Matthew Suckling

In Lake
Out Cheney (Stiff but someone had to make way)

Why??? I would have thought Suckling or Duryea before Cheney. Cheney on a similar type to himself would rip him a new one.

Why may you ask? Suckling wants to play like a superstar. When it comes to the crunch he goes missing.
Duryea, prob needs some confidence that he can actually play the role.

Suckling is not a defender, I have always said this. We get away with it alot because we are better than every other team and we can use him how we want to, however when up against a side like Geelong he will be found out. Suckling needs to play that high half forward possie, almost like a 2nd wingman, it takes away the responsibility of him having to mind a man. Suckers is to damaging to have out of the side, his good outweighs his bad.

Cheney, I don't rate, never have. He is an honest battler who is a top 2nd tier footballer but when push comes to shove he is a poor mans Sean Dempster and Dempster isn't that good. A great depth guy.

Suckling is not a defender, I have always said this. We get away with it alot because we are better than every other team and we can use him how we want to, however when up against a side like Geelong he will be found out. Suckling needs to play that high half forward possie, almost like a 2nd wingman, it takes away the responsibility of him having to mind a man. Suckers is to damaging to have out of the side, his good outweighs his bad.

I posted about this yesterday in the Suckling toast thread. I reckon it's a Clarko ploy to improve Suckling's overall game. Akin to Gunston in defence last year. The knee injury has just meant he's 12 months behind in this if you ask me.

The other thing that finds him out is that he refuses to use that right foot and you can't get away with that against good sides when you've got next to no space.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much we missed Spangher on Monday

Jesus Christ, not this again
It was Easter, so Spanger was busy.

It has been written ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring the ball to ground and give it to Suckling to distribute?

Pretty much.

Play someone short on spud forward. Opposition kick to spud forward constantly. Third man destroys spud forward. Suckling can safely take possession of the ball and distribute free of pressure.

Hardwick is too smart to try and stretch our defence. He knows full well what we do to teams who try that with spud forwards.

Their forward line worked the best it has all season so as you suggest, it is doubtful they will change it. Gibbo to take Riewoldt, Stratts on Martin, Duryea on Edwards and Lake on resting ruckman. Newman will probably try to tag Birchall so that leaves Cheney, Burgoyne or Suckling as the final defender (depending on selections).

Thought Hodge looked better in the middle so perhaps he could rotate though the middle and across HF with Burgoyne using his composure to assist our rebound from D50.

Maric is a massive out for them given how they tore us a new one in the clearances. If Cotchin misses they have Jackson, Conca and Ellis as their main mids (no A graders there).

I'd love to see Rioli play more in the centre this week to get him back into form and expose Morris who is very average by foot.

Pretty much.

Play someone short on spud forward. Opposition kick to spud forward constantly. Third man destroys spud forward. Suckling can safely take possession of the ball and distribute free of pressure.

I know, I was being a little facetious.

I posted about this yesterday in the Suckling toast thread. I reckon it's a Clarko ploy to improve Suckling's overall game. Akin to Gunston in defence last year. The knee injury has just meant he's 12 months behind in this if you ask me.

The other thing that finds him out is that he refuses to use that right foot and you can't get away with that against good sides when you've got next to no space.

He did use his right on Monday it looked wrong, but hit the target.

Their forward line worked the best it has all season so as you suggest, it is doubtful they will change it. Gibbo to take Riewoldt, Stratts on Martin, Duryea on Edwards and Lake on resting ruckman. Newman will probably try to tag Birchall so that leaves Cheney, Burgoyne or Suckling as the final defender (depending on selections).

Thought Hodge looked better in the middle so perhaps he could rotate though the middle and across HF with Burgoyne using his composure to assist our rebound from D50.

Maric is a massive out for them given how they tore us a new one in the clearances. If Cotchin misses they have Jackson, Conca and Ellis as their main mids (no A graders there).

I'd love to see Rioli play more in the centre this week to get him back into form and expose Morris who is very average by foot.

As stupid as it sounds Langford is the real reason I think we can beat the Tigers as opposed to other years, we've never been able to stop Cotchin but I really have faith Langford can do it.

This is a trick statement isnt it???

Geel stretched our defence and what happened monday?

Geelong didn't stretch our defence regardless of how much the commentators were crapping on about McIntosh. Geelong broke our defence by keeping Hodge & Gibson out of contests; had nothing to do with height.

Hopefully we see Burgoyne in the midfield for this game and Lewis to go back up forward. I reckon Cheney will be given another go. Can't see us making too many changes as Lake is the only one likely to come into the side.

Can't play on key forwards, disposal is not polished enough as a rebounder. I like the guy and respect his effort in doing a job he is not designed to do, but with all the talent to come in, he just has to be squeezed out eventually, so there is no gain in playing him.

He's the new Tom Murphy isn't he? Can kind of play tall but will get towelled up against a quality key forward.

Cheney hasn't done anything wrong, but he just isn't versatile enough.

Can't play on key forwards, disposal is not polished enough as a rebounder. I like the guy and respect his effort in doing a job he is not designed to do, but with all the talent to come in, he just has to be squeezed out eventually, so there is no gain in playing him.

I agree with this 100%. He's doing absolutely everything asked of him but is just the least required player in terms of stoppers and/or rebounders with skill when we have something closer to the full assortment to choose from. In the meantime though, I applaud him for taking on the dirty tasks that are being asked of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back