Preview Hawks vs The Tigers : IN Lake, OUT Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Hartung, Lake, Shoenmakers
Out: Roughead (rest ankle), Suckers (rest), Lewis (rest looks injured)
I wonder if Rioli might be an omission with soreness, rather than Roughie. I'd also rather we keep Lewis in the team. Otherwise, I like your INs.

Suckers was our worst, but is a favourite of the coach so he will get a free pass into round 6.

Cheney deserves another go, but since we're lacking a genuine KPD in the side at the moment and he's been playing that role, logic will suggest he gets dropped for a genuine one in Lake.

Since he has no weaknesses, Sicily will be an automatic inclusion this week. :rolleyes:

Cheney out for lake? Maybe not, Hawkins probably just too good, and Lake might need a bit more time in the reserves.

Hawthorn really need this win though. Get the Richmond monkey off our back.

Out: Simpkin
In: Lake

Lake to play inside F50, and just pick up either Riewoldt or Griffiths/Hampson, whoever is deepest. Gibson to take the one further up the field. I'd put Cheney or Burger on Martin when he goes forward. Hodge midfield/Forward this week, Mitchell midfield/Back.

I'd like to see Hallahan get a full game this week to see how he goes, Suckers as sub

No point going silly, 1 bad week in 5 isn't as bad as some think.

Id take-

Out Cheney Simpkin
In: Lake Anderson

Suckling the Vest. Boxer to play the whole game.

Cheney hasn't done anything wrong, but he just isn't versatile enough.

Can't play on key forwards, disposal is not polished enough as a rebounder. I like the guy and respect his effort in doing a job he is not designed to do, but with all the talent to come in, he just has to be squeezed out eventually, so there is no gain in playing him.

Id take-

Out Cheney Simpkin
In: Lake Anderson

Suckling the Vest. Boxer to play the whole game.

Cheney hasn't done anything wrong, but he just isn't versatile enough.

Can't play on key forwards, disposal is not polished enough as a rebounder. I like the guy and respect his effort in doing a job he is not designed to do, but with all the talent to come in, he just has to be squeezed out eventually, so there is no gain in playing him.

I like the idea of Suckling as the sub in general.

The game opens up in the last quarter and a bit.
His kicking becomes more of a weapon but the speed and physicality are less of an issue.

The issue with Suckling as sub is he'd be bloody useless if we were losing, wouldn't be able to impact the game at all. Still may be the kick up the arse he needs though

The threats of Richmond are as always Riewoldt, Cotchin & Martin.

Langford to Cotchin is a certainty as is Gibson to Riewoldt. Martin in the forward line is an interesting proposition as I'm not sure which of our defenders are big enough and quick enough to stop him...I think Burgoyne may get first crack.

I don't think there's a match up for Lake...I'd keep him as an emergency in case Richmond bring back that spud Vickery.

Unchanged - Suckling substitute
I wouldnt be surprised of Stratton to reiwoldt. he is quick/good closing speed, plus reiwoldt has not got the size body strength of tomahawk

Will be interesting to see if Hardwick brings Vickery back in the side to stretch our short defense, I'm guessing he will. Not that Vickery scares me but it will force Gibson to be more accountable and less able to help out on Sookwoldt.

Ultimately if we can't get over Richmond without Deledio, Rance, Maric and possibly Cotchin (according to rumor) then we may as well pack up our s**t and go home. I can't see it happening unless we have an absolute stinker.

Just hope for no wind on the day, the weather could hinder the group.

I like the idea of Suckling as the sub in general.

The game opens up in the last quarter and a bit.
His kicking becomes more of a weapon but the speed and physicality are less of an issue.

I like Suckling but his kicking is unreliable: elite at best but too many turnovers. Cheney is better at contested footy provided he has a fair match ie not Porkins.

I did not think Jed was available. Would like him to come in though. Hallahan deserves a full game. Obviously so does Langford: the find of the season so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a full pre-season.... McEvoy was in worst shape & Clarko still saw fit to send him out there, meanwhile a fully fit & firing Ceglar dominated down at the Cattery!

Just to set the record straight Lake did NOT have a full pre-season. In case you didn't notice he did not play in any of our practice matches and he had a problem with his calf that required minor surgery and which obviously interrupted his training. McEvoy on the other hand DID have a full pre-season and had already played two senior games when he went out through injury, that's why he was brought straight back in.

Last edited:
Just to set the record straight lake did NOT have a full pre-season. In case you didn't notice he did not play in any of our practice matches and he had a problem with his calf that required minor surgery and which obviously interrupted his training. McEvoy on the other hand DID have a full pre-season and had already played two senior games when he went out through injury, that's why he was brought straight back in.

Sneaking suspicion Procrast is trolling.

I would bring in Heatherly to play on Riewoldt.

Your footy knowledge just astounds me every week.

I actually think you're not into winning premierships, your ultimate glory in footy would be Hawthorn fielding an under 22 side each week. The future man, we need to worry about the future! Who cares that we need to win games to finish top 4 and have a crack at another premiership whilst we're a contender.

You're so hell bent on playing kids so our future looks bright but you don't seem to understand that when players such as Langford, Hallahan, Duryea, Whitecross etc have done a proper and solid apprenticeship that it helps them become more rounded and better footballers as they earned their right to play.

Look at Melbourne as an example to not just gift games to kids.

I'll end this rant with a massive LOL to your suggestion of throwing young Heatherley onto a gun KPF like JR.

Just hope for no wind on the day, the weather could hinder the group.

Sunday 27 April
Summary
partly-cloudy.png

Min 9
Max 18
Partly cloudy.
Melbourne area
Morning cloud then mostly sunny. Winds southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming easterly and light during the evening

I wonder if Rioli might be an omission with soreness, rather than Roughie. I'd also rather we keep Lewis in the team. Otherwise, I like your INs.

I posted something similar re Rioli, I thought he really struggled v Geelong. Seemed to take a long time to get up, on his knees a lot etc.. Was he struggling with a knock from the game?

I posted something similar re Rioli, I thought he really struggled v Geelong. Seemed to take a long time to get up, on his knees a lot etc.. Was he struggling with a knock from the game?
Pretty sure he got a knock early . He stayed down on his haunches for a while. I noticed it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back