Review Hawthorn v North Round 5 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed shots all around really cost us: Daw, Petrie and Wright the chief offenders.

Excellent: Thompson, Swallow, Wells, Ziebell (for commitment and leadership as much as statistical influence)

Good: Cunnington, Anthony as sub, I thought Atley showed a lot.

Not Good: Hine.

Promising: Black (that second goal of his was the highlight of the match)

Other comments:
  • A flat game from Bastinac. A typical "almost" performance from him.
  • LT kicked 5 but didn't get much of it around the ground. Still, he had an important influence on the game.
  • That three year deal for MacMillan is looking better and better.
  • Gibson busted his arse again but burnt the ball far too often.
****, I'd have loved that. Mixed feelings to be honest. Our distribution going into forward 50 was certainly a matter of quantity over quality, but it's good to see we beat them in the middle.

Can't agree that Anthony was good..........I thought he was very ordinary and had no impact only had 4 disposals as the sub. Was ordinary as a sub against Brisbane last week I doubt he'll be selected next week.

Thought you boys were the better team today. Whether we were poor or you were too good, I am not sure. Probably a bit of both. Thomas although I dislike him is a gun these days. Thompson played well although the last two games against your mob have showcased Buddy. Brilliant one week, abysmal the next. And I think he played terribly rather than Thompson being that good. Your midfield killed ours in the middle and that usually doesn't happen so kudos on that.

Should also add that Petrie's decision making kicking into forward 50 was horrific on TV. How was it at the ground?
Horrific

We were lucky to be close at 1/2time imo.
But, by the end we were terribly unlucky not to get across the line.

Wellsy, Swallow and Thompson are absolute stars.
Unfortunately Cyril is a complete freak of nature.

Awesome effort by the guys, shame to fall short but hopefully another step forward.

Positives;
Wells - just outstanding.
Thompson - see Wells.
Swallow was, well typical Swallow.
LT firing goals under pressure.
Black - showed a lot, should have played earlier.
Macmillan continually played the percentages, impressive game.
Midfield absolutely smashed theirs, even if disposal still not quite there.
Work rate, intensity, defensive structure all much improved.

Negatives:
Petrie made multiple shocking decisions in second half - very costly, could have been the difference.....
Atley was disappointing for mine apart from a few moments. Kept getting caught out of position.
Ziebell - love his attack and he is a gem, but his foot skills and decision making really need to improve. Costly turnovers.
Daw - had a crack, but costly misses and seemed to continually misjudge the footy and spoil his own players. Still, can't be too hard on him.

Disappointing loss obviously, but can't ask much more in terms of effort. Should have won but then if we take positives out of it we might get them next time.

Musings...

- I thought Bastinac struggled with the intensity today, was in the right spots but used it poorly.
- Daw, Black and Petrie got in each others way a lot, clearly the first time they have played together.
- Black offers a lot more than Hansen as the third tall, it's a toss up between Tarrant and Daw for 2nd.
- The midfield beat Hawthorn's today which was unexpected and fantastic to see; Swallow, Wells, Ziebell and Cunnington great in the middle.
- Hawthorn work so hard to provide short options and always had a 20m player free or on the lead, we need that work rate.
- Kudos to Thomas and his goalkicking, now most reliable in the team.
- I'm gutted, never expected to get that close but in those last 5 minutes man I wanted it; we must still target a 6-5 record at the turn.
The key words. Today was just arse. We should've won. But those 2 words are the difference amongst good sides that have top players in regards to winning and losing.

Just a note to opposition supporters of any colour: this is the North board. It's home team rules so show them respect and tread very carefully.

Just a note to opposition supporters of any colour: this is the North board. It's home team rules so show them respect and tread very carefully.

Card this troll. -:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought you boys were the better team today. Whether we were poor or you were too good, I am not sure. Probably a bit of both. Thomas although I dislike him is a gun these days. Thompson played well although the last two games against your mob have showcased Buddy. Brilliant one week, abysmal the next. And I think he played terribly rather than Thompson being that good. Your midfield killed ours in the middle and that usually doesn't happen so kudos on that.
I think it was pretty obvious that Thompson had the better of Franklin, that's why the spitfires were starting to happen, but I'm also starting to agree with the theory that Petrie only fires against ordinary defenders. ot that Lake was that good but he was offered monumental opportunites to win the game and failed. Daw has an excuse, he's a 2nd game player, Petrie doesn't. I was pretty disappointed in his performance. It was also obvious that Clarkson was going to flood the backline, it is their weakpoint, and yet Petrie allowed Daw to go it alone on several occasions. Not good enough.

I'm thinking particularly of Anthony and Gibson.

We have elite kicks in the twos in McKenzie and Sierakowski, both are also lefties which isn't a bad thing either.

Fair call:

I agree with you about Anthony he's had 2 poor games in a row as the sub now is the time to reward either Sierakowski or McKenzie but I would like to persist with Gibson at least in the interim. He's an ELITE endurance athlete, an accumulator of the football and a work in process but that being said I prefer to see him handball rather than kick!

P.S Boomer returns in.............. 13 days

I think it was pretty obvious that Thompson had the better of Franklin, that's why the spitfires were starting to happen, but I'm also starting to agree with the theory that Petrie only fires against ordinary defenders. ot that Lake was that good but he was offered monumental opportunites to win the game and failed. Daw has an excuse, he's a 2nd game player, Petrie doesn't. I was pretty disappointed in his performance. It was also obvious that Clarkson was going to flood the backline, it is their weakpoint, and yet Petrie allowed Daw to go it alone on several occasions. Not good enough.
He definitely had the better of him but he still could have had 5 goals. He screwed them all up unfortunately but I don't think that was anything to do with Thompson. Anyway don't want to start an argument but well done and today I will watch the rest of your games throughout the year with interest

Fair call:

I agree with you about Anthony he's had 2 poor games in a row as the sub now is the time to reward either Sierakowski or McKenzie but I would like to persist with Gibson at least in the interim. He's an ELITE endurance athlete, an accumulator of the football and a work in process but that being said I prefer to see him handball rather than kick!

P.S Boomer returns in.............. 13 days

There was nothing poor about Anthony's game as sub. He was involved in some great drives forward and if Drew had turned around quick enough Anthony would have lined up after the siren. Add to that the great mark he took and it is impossible to bag that performance.

Neither Sierakowski or McKenzie have the elite running capabilities of Anthony either.

He definitely had the better of him but he still could have had 5 goals. He screwed them all up unfortunately but I don't think that was anything to do with Thompson. Anyway don't want to start an argument but well done and today I will watch the rest of your games throughout the year with interest
Well done? We lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back