Help needed - Thinking of getting back into playing

Remove this Banner Ad

Maroo

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This may sound really stupid, but please stick with me as I have no idea what the structure/standard of suburban footy leagues are in Melbourne.

I haven't played footy since I was 15/16 in country Vic (now 27). I'm about to move to this district and I have been thinking for a while that I'd like to have a crack at playing again and see a fresh start in a new area as a reason to give it a go.

What I don't know is how one goes about joining a club and having a run.

Basically I want to know whether there are grades low enough to give someone like me a go at it in this league or if there are other leagues around that are lower standard and more likely to facilitate my needs.

I see ex AFL names thrown around in here, so am thinking it's not likely....

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Cheers.

This may sound really stupid, but please stick with me as I have no idea what the structure/standard of suburban footy leagues are in Melbourne.

I haven't played footy since I was 15/16 in country Vic (now 27). I'm about to move to this district and I have been thinking for a while that I'd like to have a crack at playing again and see a fresh start in a new area as a reason to give it a go.

Basically I want to know whether there are grades low enough to give someone like me a go at it in this league or if there are other leagues around that are lower standard and more likely to facilitate my needs.

Cheers.

depends whereabouts you live or work i guess. you'd probably want to support the local club in the area you're in. in our league there's 2 divisions right now. there's premier division (A grade) which has quite afew former AFL and VFL footballers running around and mega $$$ being thrown around all to win a local football comp, then Division 1 (B grade) which has 9 of the 14 teams with strong experienced players and still some former AFL and VFL players and the other 5 teams with very weak, young and inexperienced sides (cash strapped clubs). In approx 7 weeks a 2nd Division (C grade) will be introduced, comprising of the bottom 6 sides from Division 1 (B grade) at that time. confused yet??? don't worry, it'll make more sense in July 2012 when it actually happens.

But if you're wanting to start off at the bottom, get fit again and play with footballers at roughly the same or inferior level then look no further than one of the 6 sides that will be the likely 2nd division (C grade) sides. they will be Jacana (broadmeadows area), Roxburgh Park (at the end of pascoe vale rd), Keilor Park (near airport) and Moonee Valley (moonee ponds area). the other two spots to go into 2nd division could be any of Hillside (melton area), Hadfield (between Fawkner and Glenroy), Westmeadows (Broadmeadows) and East Keilor (between Airport West and Keilor). Each of those clubs would be a good starting point. Jacana, Moonee Valley, Roxburgh Park and Keilor Park would also be probably the only 4 clubs out the 24 edfl clubs that don't have players missing out each week, which means your more of a chance of getting a game.....probably without even training! these 4 clubs would welcome any new players....even if you have mates that have never played before.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to our very uneven but still enjoyable comp, it will come down to how soon you want to play. If you want to play this weekend then head to Moonee Valley, Jacana, Roxburgh Park or Keilor Park. If you want to train for a few weeks and then play, then choose another of the Division 1 (B Grade) sides but be prepared to miss out on getting a game at all due to their abundance of players currently missing out each week already.

hope i've made sense.

Cheers.

What area do you live in champ ?

Not there yet, but will be geographically nearest to Craigieburn, Greenvale and Roxburgh Park.

from memory, I think you would have to register by July 31st..
Roxburgh Park may be your best bet...B Grade team atm that may move to C Grade after July 14,, and there is a fair chance that they will play finals in the new C Grade being implemented after Rd 13(July14)
Hope this helps you mate :thumbsu:

It's gonna be a little while before I'm settled in, so wouldn't be too worried if I don't get to play this year, but would like to introduce myself to a club and maybe get involved before starting next pre-season.

Hi, thought I'd get this thread back up and going, as I find myself in a similar situation.

I'm 20 and looking to get back into playing footy - played at U12 level but haven't played since so might be a bit rusty. I'm reasonably fit through other sports but want to join a club and start playing in 2016. Can anyone recommend what clubs I would have a chance of joining in the Essendon/Maribyrnong/Flemington area? Thanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, thought I'd get this thread back up and going, as I find myself in a similar situation.

I'm 20 and looking to get back into playing footy - played at U12 level but haven't played since so might be a bit rusty. I'm reasonably fit through other sports but want to join a club and start playing in 2016. Can anyone recommend what clubs I would have a chance of joining in the Essendon/Maribyrnong/Flemington area? Thanks!

Hey mate,
Your best 2 options would be Maribyrnong Park (down near the river behind the rowing club) or Moonee Valley (near the racetrack/freeway).
Maribyrnong Park are in the top division and Moonee Valley are in the 3rd division so depending on your talent I'm sure one of these clubs will suit you. Both good clubs. A lot of younger guys at Moonee Valley and the competition is not that strong so maybe go there and see how you like it.

Hope this helps you..