HampdenMAD

All Australian
Feb 10, 2012
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 1 of the new look HFNL for 2013

South Warrnambool v Terang Mortlake

Two very young sides to battle it out here! And both sides have some ripping youth!

Game Winners - TM Damian O'Connor and Tom McKenzie
Game Winners - SW Zacc Struth and Kim Eagleson

Tipping South Warrnambool by 12 points

Portland v Port Fairy

The battle of the unknowns!! Welcome Portland it's great to have new teams on board!!

Game Winners - Portland Marcus England and Jarrod Holt
Game Winners - Sam Rudolph and Sandy Robinson

Tipping Portland by 5 points

Camperdown v North Warrnambool Eagles

The battle of the missing spearheads! no Haynes no Molan

Game Winners - Camp Sam Chapman and Nick Bateman
Game Winners - NW Matthew Wines and Tom Batten

Tipping NW by 5 goals

Warrnambool v Koroit

The battle of the premiership favs

Game Winners - WBool Jason Rowan and Travis Graham
Game Winners - Kor Ben Goodall and Ben Dobson

Tipping Warrnambool by 2 goals

Hamilton v Cobden

The battle of the hype!! One club new and pumped up and one club who exceeded all expectations in 2012.

Game Winners - Ham Gareth Crawford and Hugh Douglas
Game Winners - Cob Joe Dare and Levi Dare

Tipping Cobden by 8 goals

Good luck to all sides!!

Wasnt it to great to see Portland win first up against what looks like another year in the cellar for Port Fairy. Portland have such a great community feel to their club, everyone is excited down that way and keen to prove they belong! Port Fairy tho have problems again with competitiveness, a new coach will obviously take time to adjust and realise his best side but he best do it quick because otherwise there is some absolute trouncings on the way!

Hamilton come up against a well drilled and fit unit in Cobden and were gallant in defeat. They strung together some play that shows they have the ability but can they find 3-4 quarters of it when the time calls. Losing the class of Gareth Crawford the week before the first game didnt help them though. Again a really great community supporting this club and its great to see.

Round 2 -

Some ripper games this week!!

Cobden v Warrnambool - Grand Final Rematch

Just the one change to both sides with Cobden bringing in ex Simpson fwd Brad Salmon for Leigh Rosolin (omit), and Warrnambool bringing in youngster Liam Hoy (Rebels) for Ben McLeod (omit).
This time its Cobdens turn to host the 2012 Premiers and try to start ammending last years GF loss. Cobden come off a strong win against Hamilton and Warrnambool a narrow loss to Koroit. From what i heard Warrnambool were very unsettled and didnt handle the wet footy too well last week. This weeks looks perfect for footy and Cobden's ground is no doubt in top shape. Should be a great game.

My tip - Cobden by 1 goal!
Best on Ground tip - Levi Dare

North Warrnambool v South Warrnambool - Still no Haynes.....Gregg vs his old club!

On paper the Eagles should smash the Roosters at Bushfield, but its when a team is young and unpredictable when things can surprise...but...not tomorrow. Eagles regain key defender Brendan Murfett (Honeymoon), and ex Wbool youngster Dylan Cross makes way (omit). South have named an unchanged line up that lost to Terang/Mortlake last week. Eagles are in a good position at moment, a reasonably healthy list, good mix of young and old and xfactors. Their win last week was worth two copping a very underdone Camperdown, Robbie Gregg still has it kicking 5 goals and comes up against his old club. The question most are wondering is where is David Haynes?? Injured? Resting? How long til he returns? My mail says not until rd4 v Koroit. South will struggle with this one and are just looking to blood some youngsters and improve.

My tip - Eagles by 8 goals
Best on Ground tip - Robbie Gregg with a bag of goals

Port Fairy v Hamilton - Can Hamilton register the maiden victory!!

Port Fairy host Hamilton who after being comfortably beaten last week meet the team that Portland gave a hiding in rd1! Port Fairy have a load of changes and none more important than the loss of Sandy Robinson to Geelong's VFL side. Hamilton will start favourites in this one and they also have a few changes, they have lost defender Jason McIntosh with a hamstring injury.

My tip - Hamilton by 4 goals
Best on Ground tip - Hugh Douglas with 5+ goals

Koroit v Camperdown - Can the Pies bounce back...

Koroit had a narrow win over last years premiers Warrnambool and will look to go 2-0 against the pies. Camperdown had a forced change with Robbie Gordon out with injury and David Young named to come in. I must admit im a bit surprised Cheeseman and Davis havent been named. Koroit head in with TAC Cup youngsters Jayden Brennan and Seamus Blake available for action and also Northern Blues player Hayden Drew. Youngsters Jayden Whitehead, James Gow and Drew Ogrady all make way. Koroit at home are tough to beat and i expect them to take care of business pretty easily over the Pies.

My tip - Koroit by 5 Goals
Best on Ground tip - Ben Dobson

Terang/Mortlake v Portland - Can Portland roll on to 2-0

TM and Portland should be a cracking game, TM have a young inexperienced side but have included the very experienced Patrick Heffernan which will help steady and also included Jake Meade and Geelong Falcons Xavier Lourey. Portland have included Rebel midfielder Tom Templeton and Josh Chapman is unavailable for selection. Portlands first big road trip and i expect them to put it right up to TM.

My tip - Portland by 4 goals.
Best on Ground tip - Marcus England

Good luck to all sides

Once again, great write up HampdenMAD!
My tips for rd2:
T/M v PORTLAND by 20 points (Portland playing with a lot of confidence and a hunger to win)
KOR v CAMP by 12 points (I think Koroit will start playing better as a team and will win at home)
NOR v SOU by 10 goals (North will have too many answers across the board)
COB v WAR by 15 points (Cobden looking like a great unit and will be strong at home)
PORT F v HAM by 8 goals (Hamilton will be eager to register their first win and the loss of 'giving back to the 'community man' Sandy Robinson will be too much for Port to replace)

Sorry
My tips for rd2:
T/M v PORTLAND by 20 points (Portland playing with a lot of confidence and a hunger to win)
KOR v CAMP by 12 points (I think Koroit will start playing better as a team and will win at home)
COB v WAR by 15 points (Cobden looking like a great unit and will be strong at home)
PORT F v HAM by 8 goals (Hamilton will be eager to register their first win and the loss of 'giving back to the 'community man' Sandy Robinson will be too much for Port to replace)

Sorry about the bolds, haven't used that before, tips are: Portland, Koroit, north, Cobden and Hamilton.

My tips for rd2:

Awesome to have some other tips and thanks for the feedback. You done well there Pushupking, Terang got us both by surprise with a very polished performance, Warrnambool returned to their best denying us both another tip but we got the others. Love the 'community man' reference also!!

Well the results are in and Round 2 is done and dusted!

5 Things we found out -

1. Port Fairy are still a long way of finding 3-4 quarters of consistent performance, they will have another tough year at the office. Hamilton rested a fair few of their major players in the final term due to the short turnaround this week which allowed Port Fairy to kick a little closer.

2. Koroit are in top gear and have flexed the muscle twice already! First the reigning premiers Wbool and now Camperdown. Sam Dobson and Joe McLaren impressive, Dallas Mooney standing strong in defense and the kids included held their own.

3. North Warrnambool have had their best start ever to a season winning the first two. McMeel and Haynes possible return for Terang/Mortlake this week, could they go 3-0!

4. Hamilton are on the winners list!! Congrats to the community up there, its a big step to a long future!!

5. The radio and news coverage of the league is at an all time high standard and we are all loving it!!!

The Ladder stands at:

Koroit Saints 2-0
North Warrnambool Eagles 2-0
Terang Mortlake Bloods 2-0
Cobden Bombers 1-1
Portland Tigers 1-1
Warrnambool Blues 1-1
Hamilton Kangaroos 1-1
South Warrnambool Roosters 0-2
Camperdown Magpies 0-2

Some ladder defining matches this week coming
North Warrnambool v Terang Mortlake - a win to either club keeps them undefeated
Camperdown v Cobden - a win to Cobden and Camperdown have the start from hell
South Warrnambool v Koroit - Koroit win to stay undefeated and an undermanned SWFNC start 0-3
Hamilton v Portland - ANZAC day clash, battle of the newbies and bragging rights.
Warrnambool v Port Fairy - could and probably will get ugly.

Notable players from Rd.2 - The Week of the Goal Kickers

Jake Myles (NWEFNC), has shrugged of his sacking from Hamilton to lead the comps goal kicking with two bags of 4 goals from the midfield/forward line.

Hugh Douglas (Hamiton), showed he has the scoring power and kicked 5 of the best against Port Fairy

Sam Dobson (Koroit), a young gun who is definitely a huge player in Koroits assault on the 2013 flag, he bagged 4 against Camperdown.

Stephen Staunton (T/M), the big guy turned it on against Portland and nailed 4 goals and took over 10 marks down forward.

Will Pomerin (T/M), a ripper pick up from the Bloods and Will has taken no time to make his mark, a polished best on ground performance with 3 goals from the Midfield.

The 2013 Interleague Squad has been released.
As always some selections are questionable! Tell me what you think!

Camperdown
Sam Chapman
Fraser Lucas

Cobden
Levi Dare
Joe Dare
Paul Foster
Tim Horan
Paul Hinkley
Brodie Mahoney

Hamilton
Brendan Huf
Hamish Waldron
Kane Ubergang

Koroit
Ben Goodall
Ben Dobson
Sam Dobson
Dallas Mooney
Isaac Templeton
Chris McLaren

North Warrnambool
Jake Myles
Tom Batten
Robbie Gregg
Jordan Dillon
Xavier Mills

Port Fairy
Sam Rudolph
Sandy Robinson
Dylan Gunning

Portland
Jarrad Holt
Jarrod Hayse
Beau Bently

Terang Mortlake
Damien O'Connor
Chris Baxter
Steve Staunton
Will Pomerin

South Warrnambool
Nick Thompson
Sam Thompson
Zac Struth

Warrnambool
Travis Graham
Jason Rowan
Sam Cowling
Josh Walters
Angus Chirnside
Tim O'Keefe

Round 3 begins tomorrow on ANZAC Day with clubhouse leaders Koroit taking on South Warrnambool at The Friendly's Rec, Hamilton v Portland in Hamilton and Camperdown v Cobden down at The Leura.

South Warrnambool v Koroit

Koroit have held onto VFL player Haydn Drew and added Drew OGrady, Jayden Whitehead, Brad Williams and James Gow to an extended bench. Seamus Blake unavailable due to Rebels duties. It's a healthy list at the Saints to take on a struggling and young South Warrnambool. They promoted Tim Ryan last years U/18 leading goal kicker, and Tait Niddrie and lost Tully Allwood and Olle Lee through injury.
Koroit are up and about and will look to take an early lead and ease their older players through the short turnaround.

My Tip - Koroit by 85 points.

Hamilton v Portland

A really big buzz around the newcomers meeting each other for the first time in the HFNL! Bragging rights up for grabs but also a vital 4 points! As much as I would love to give a detailed run down I really can only go off what I have read and been told. Hamilton have a forced change and an omission, James Anagnostou (ankle) and Angus Brown. In comes teenager Jack Cullinane, Jonathon Manson and Adrian Linke. Team to be finalised.
Portland have lost gun playmaker Marcus England, Zane Wakely and Tom Templeton.

Both teams have showed some glimpses and some winning form.

My Tip - Hamilton by 4 goals

Camperdown v Cobden

Camperdown welcome back big forward Luke Molan from suspension, Jesse Hanegraaf, and ball magnet Darren Cheeseman. Out goes Dave Young, Gus Bourke and Marcus Powling. Very handy inclusions for a massive game that possibly sets them for a long road back to the finals or back within striking distance of the middle of the pack.
Cobden also have named a couple of ins - Ex Bomber Darryl Beechey is back after 4 years and new comer Tom Leishman (Simpson) gets a crack, also big man Bronte McCann gets the call up. Sam and Angus Uwland make way also does Adam Courtney with soreness.
Cobden has been impressive again this year and expectations are high. They should take care of Camperdown on paper but I ll be looking for a major improvement by the Pies in this one. Casey, Molan and Bateman are going to be a handful but their mids need to get their hands on the ball and negate Joe Dare and Paul Foster especially.

My tip - Cobden by 3 goals

Good luck sides

Lest we forget.

Results so far -
Koroit beat South Warrnambool by 39 points after leading by as much as 61 points in the 3rd.
Sam Dobson kicked 3 goals, and Tauryan Zimmer was named best for Koroit after a very solid day in defence. Koroit continue full steam ahead and meet what is likely to be a full strenght North Warrnambool Eagles all things going well.

Cobden beat Camperdown by 14 points after having a handy 7 goal lead at half time. Camperdown managed to wrestle the total back but fell short at the final siren. A tough and hot contested game with Sam Chapman having a blinder. Cobden have injury worries with Joe Dare being taken to hospital with an ankle injury. Marcus Hickey kicked 4 for the Bombers while new recruit 19yr old Brody Mahoney was named the Bombers best.

Portland returned to the winners list knocking over Hamilton by 46 points. It was a statement by the Tigers who showed they are prepared for those who dont come to play! Jarrad Holt was impressive and kicked 4 goals for the Tigers, Nathan Haylock was named best for Portland.

ROUND 3 Continues -

North Warrnambool v Terang Mortlake
Well Terang will be rubbing their hands together after reading the announced team from the Eagles last night. Still no Haynes, Out goes Robbie Gregg (unavailable) and Tom Batten (groin), the two spearheads for the Eagles are big losses for the scoreboard. But in a positive for the Eagles in comes young gun and playmaker Andy McMeel and Dylan Cross gets the call up. Terang named Tyson Densley, Damian Moloney and Sam McLean for Xavier Lourey (Falcons), Sam Crawley (Falcons) and Ryan O'Connor (Ankle).
The Eagles would still fancy themselves but the game is likely to be the battle of the midfields and the Eagles lead in that catergory.
Tip - Eagles by 4 goals.

Warrnambool v Port Fairy
Warrnambool will look for a percentage booster as they take on a struggling Port Fairy!
Wbool Ins - Brad Bull and Ben McLeod replace Veteran Josh Walters and Rebels player Liam Hoy.
Port Fairy recalled VFL ruckman Sandy Robinson and lost Sam McCartney to a leg injury.
Tip - Blues by a whopping 100 points.

Any reason why port fairy has been so unsuccessful over recent years. I thought location wise it would be a popular place to play footy. Is it club culture or is the purple and yellow Guernsey and club mascot 'seagulls' a deterrent.
Will they survive in the hampden league???

Any reason why port fairy has been so unsuccessful over recent years. I thought location wise it would be a popular place to play footy. Is it club culture or is the purple and yellow Guernsey and club mascot 'seagulls' a deterrent.
Will they survive in the hampden league???

It's definitely a culture problem. Their failure to recruit players that they would have the ability to retain has been a huge problem and a backwards step. Paying fly in players who only play half a dozen games per season just isn't ever going to improve the club. Paying for ex AFL has beens has also be a major fail. The way I see it they could of spent $75,000+ a year on facilities and made it a place you want to play footy and improved more on field by attracting players that way instead of wads of cash thrown at blokes who never gave back to the club. The jumper and mascot has nothing to do with it, it's about the culture only. Everyone wants a competitive Port Fairy and now there is Portland and Hamilton in Hampden it could help Port Fairy attract players but they need to put the right processes in place this season to capture the possible market that has opened up. I'm not saying I know the answers but ya don't have to be blind Freddy to see why they are struggling.

Big test for the Portland Tigers this weekend against one of the power house sides in Warrnambool. Will be good for the Tigers to test themselves at home against such quality opposition. Good win over Hamilton on ANZAC Day. Could be a long first year for Hamilton.

Yea
Big test for the Portland Tigers this weekend against one of the power house sides in Warrnambool. Will be good for the Tigers to test themselves at home against such quality opposition. Good win over Hamilton on ANZAC Day. Could be a long first year for Hamilton.

Yeah agreed what do u think the margin will be come the final siren Portland v Warrnambool? Could it be closer than most would expect or will Warrnambool just have too much fire power for the newcomers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea

Yeah agreed what do u think the margin will be come the final siren Portland v Warrnambool? Could it be closer than most would expect or will Warrnambool just have too much fire power for the newcomers?
Really hard question to answer about the margin..truth is we are entering the unknown. Come the final siren we will all have a better idea of where Portland currently fit in.

Round 4 is upon us! The season seems as though it is flying along!! Some big games this week and none more so than the HFNL and 3YB Match of the Round.....

Koroit v North Warrnambool Eagles
Two undefeated sides, one side in Koroit have knocked over a scratchy Warrnambool in a scrappy affair, pushed aside an undermanned Camperdown and had a 40 point win over a young inexperienced South Warrnambool. Even tho some are wrapping up Koroit as a huge contender I personally think they are just getting the job done but the hiccups are soon to come. The other side in NWE have also beaten an undermanned Camperdown easily, gave South Warrnambool a bath also, and piled on second half goals against an ailing Terang/Mortlake. This contest will be the measuring stick of where these sides are at....but not this round....North are coming in undermanned, Ruckman Jordan Dillon is out for 12 weeks, small defender Matty Brophy out, Key defender Tom Batten still out, gun forward David Haynes still out and named in the reserves....no Jeremy Parkinson until next month and have question marks on Xavier Mills fitness. Not all is perfect at Eagle land. I expect a great contest tomorrow, Goodall and Myles looks a huge match up on form and I expect plenty from both. I think we may see a Saints win with the injury worries to the Eagles but it won't be all their way. If the Eagles snatch this one then they may just have premiership favoritism for at least 1 week...

My tip - Saints by 2 goals

South Warrnambool v Cobden

South is winless and come up against the solid side of Cobden, in comes Klint Wagstaff for his 1st senior HFNL game in many years, also in is Leigh Rosolin. A huge loss in Joe Dare with an ankle injury. South have pulled ex coach Danny Finn out of retirement which is a surprise, I don't think it will do much to help the side, their midfield is great but everywhere else...not so. Sam Kelly and Kim Eagleson really need to lift for the Roosters. Cobden are going along ok, and should account for South easily.

My Tip - Cobden by 7 goals.

Portland v Warrnambool
Portland host the 2012 Premiers for the first time and they get to see what the best of Hampden look like. The Blues have lost backman Tim O'Keefe but regained veteran midfielder Josh Walters. Portland named Tom Templeton from the Rebels. Warrnambool haven't been their devastating best yet but no doubt it's coming. I won't hold back punches here, the Tigers are in for a rough day, Rowan is due for a haul, Graham is due for a day out and Walters is back in the side. The Blues should be a class above and be too good for the ever improving Tigers. It's another step tho to a big Hampden future.

My Tip - Warrnambool by 50 points

Port Fairy v Camperdown
Port Fairy lose coach Sam Rudolph to a shoulder injury in which he put back in himself after dislocating last week. They also lost 3 others to injury and omission. Camperdown have lost forward Luke Molan and key defender Clinton Fitzgerald to injury hurting their spine for the clash. Port are struggling and these outs won't help the cause, Camperdown can use this to springboard their season, make it a big win!

My Tip - Pies by 75

Terang/Mortlake v Hamilton Kangaroos
Two teams who are around the same mark by my opinion. This should be a close game, although Hamilton have named 4 changes which is often an omen of a loss I think they can take it right up to TM! TM made one change with Xavier Lourey returning for Mik McSween. Hamilton need to play stoppage footy and win it from a congested type game. Take out the influence of Terang's talls in O'Connor, Baxter and Staunton.

My Tip -

Hamilton by 2 goals in an upset.

Good Luck to all sides playing footy and netty!!!

A side note - UMPIRES!!!!!! Start reporting blokes for SLING TACKLES!!!!!!!!

Amazing victory for Portland today against Warrnambool winning by 20 points at Portland!! Well done Tigers!! Other winners Koroit by 34 over North Warrnambool, Terang by 20 over Hamilton, Camperdown by 20 over Port Fairy. Cobden and South Wbool clash tonight at Cobden. Hampden league alive and well!!

Amazing victory for Portland today against Warrnambool winning by 20 points at Portland!! Well done Tigers!! Other winners Koroit by 34 over North Warrnambool, Terang by 20 over Hamilton, Camperdown by 20 over Port Fairy. Cobden and South Wbool clash tonight at Cobden. Hampden league alive and well!!
Great win by the Portland tigers over Warrnambool. Hayse dominant at full forward. Could have kicked a lot more goals. Rowan well held. Malcolm excellent in the ruck. Good team performance, great pressure. Portland won all three grades in a great day for the club.

Any word out of the Hamilton Camp after Saturday? The finger was pointed at some players about their efforts thus far and it was lucky the young blokes have the modern day haircuts covering their eyes as tears were nearly flowing. The thing about the coach is he will call it how he see's it. An order of thick skin is required down Roo way as they havent even faced off against a power house yet in full flight, (Cobden are excused for Round 1). The young blokes rate themselves very highly, so some refreshing honesty to the "My sh*t doesn't stink generation" is wonderful to see. The response to it over a long season is another thing though.

Results are in for Round 4 and it threw up some surprises and some confirmations.

Portland the big winners with a 20 point win over reigning premiers Warrnambool!! No secrets I didn't see this coming!! What a ripper! It was a massive result for Portlands season ahead and confirmed they will not be easy beats, especially at home in Portland. Jarrod Hayse was the man inspired kicking 6 and out shining the champion spearhead Jason Rowan for Wbool who ended with 3! The Tigers face Camperdown next week. Warrnambool....a premiership hangover at this stage showing they are vulnerable at this stage....they face Hamilton next week and will look to bounce back hard.

Koroit firmed as Premiership favorites knocking over an undermanned North Warrnambool Eagles by 34 points. Koroit took a 4 goal lead in the second quarter and never really looked in doubt for the remainder as it replied to every Eagle attack. Isaac Templeton and Ben Goodall were prolific, Sam Dobson dominated up forward and Jeremy Hausler took advantage of the Eagles ruck situation to be a major player on the day. For the Eagles Adam Wines was the only real shining light. Koroit look towards Terang/Mortlake next week, and the Eagles welcome Cobden to Bushfield. Should be a cracker.

Cobden brushed aside South Warrnambool by 59 points under lights as league newcomer Brody Mahoney wowed the crowd with a 7 goal game! The 19yr old is showing signs of a possible massive year for the red and black....could at this stage be leading the Maskell Medal votes....Tim Horan also had plenty of the pill. South are rebuilding as we know but some players down there need to stand up and be counted. Sam Thompson showed his class again on ball and finished with 4 goals. Mugavin done a solid job in the ruck against Dare.

Camperdown registered their first win of 2013 beating Port Fairy by 25 points in a less than convincing style. Aaron Sinnott wound back the clock and nailed 5 goals for the Pies! Sam Chapman was kept quiet by an impressive tagging performance by Adam Farley. Dan Casey was wayward with 3.8 for the day. Khan Beckett was Camperdowns best player.

Terang Mortlake took the win over Hamilton by 21 points. They should of probably won by a lot more kicking 12.23 to 12.2!! Staunton kicked 6 and Damian O'Connor showed his class above with a best on ground performance. That bloke can footy and is under appreciated by many!! A genuine star of the league, can sometimes be on the bad side of aggressive play but rides the fence of flying the flag v being over agressive well in my opinion. Hamilton showed glimpses but failed to grab the chance. Hugh Douglas kicked 4.

The ladder is starting to take shape -

Koroit 20
Cobden 16
Portland 16
North Warrnambool 16
Terang/Mortlake 16
Warrnambool 8
Camperdown 4
Hamilton 4
South Warrnambool 0
Port Fairy 0

This week looms as a good ladder spreader.

Latest news - North Warrnambool Eagles may have secured the services of a new ruckman to help fill the void left by injured big man Jordan Dillon. The word is he has been trying to land a punting contract in the US but is now coming home. Going by their clearances it is Matthew Foster, Foster once was training with AFL Club Hawthorn Hawks. He played at North years ago as a youngster and kicked a few goals at CHF before disappearing. More details as they come to hand. Unsure if true but apparently he now weighs in at just over 100kg at 6'5", 15kg heavier than when he left Australia. Interesting.....

According to Cobden Bombers Twitter ruckman Levi Dare will go under the knife for surgery on a broken hand suffered on the weekends game. With both Dares missing this weekend against North Warrnambool it will do the Eagles chances no harm at all of grabbing these 4 points.

Due to lateness and time of day I will just review the one game and give tips, in my opinion the game of the round is North Warrnambool Eagles v Cobden Bombers. Both teams sitting on 3 wins and 1 loss. Cobden have suffered a couple of substantial personnel injuries with brothers and Maskell Medallist' Joe and Levi Dare both out for a while. On a positive note Daniel Watson will return from VFL duties to line up for the Bombers! The one thing that holds Cobden in good stead is their pace and capable back up options for the ruck duties. Marcus Hickey and veteran Klint Wagstaff will shoulder the duties against the second gamer Eagle Tom Bowman. I would think NW would learn from last week and rotate some help through the ruck this game to chop him out. Eagles welcome into the side Coach David Haynes for his 1st senior game of the year, Captain Tom Batten returning from injury, and gun youngster Mitch Bowman who has been impressing North Ballarat Rebels coaches. These ins are massive for the Eagles structures and goal stopping and scoring capabilities. Eagles need to stop Cobdens run carry and receive style of play to win, shut down space and then hurt the Bombers on the rebound. Eagles were average last week and I wouldn't expect the same again. Brody Mahoney is in ripping form already after kicking 7 last week v Camperdown. He or Paul Foster would be expected to be greeted by a tag. The Eagles will play long and direct to Haynes deep forward and work on the small forwards and midfielder to crumb the feet. Hinkley and Haynes would be an expected battle. Brendan Murfett will take the deep tall for Cobden, Keast and the in for Adam Wines will take the next two best forwards. Watson v McMeel could be a tasty head to head battle on the ball.

My Tip - Eagles by 3 goals.

CAMPERDOWN v PORTLAND
My Tip - Pies by 2 goals

SOUTH WBOOL V PORT FAIRY
My Tip - South by 4 goals

TER/MORT V KOROIT
My Tip - Koroit by 6 goals

WARRNAMBOOL v HAMILTON
My Tip - Wbool by 10 goals

Good luck all teams!! GO CATS!!!

Cobden went bang yesterday against a very lack lustre North Warrnambool unit!! The Bombers smashed the Eagles all over the ground especially after half time!! 3 players especially stood out to me as I watched this clash, Brody Mahoney...what a ripper this kid is, 19 and an early favorite for the Maskell Medal, what a story that would be. Paul Hinkley did what he wanted and did it well!! The Eagles even dragged him back deep but somehow he managed to sit 30m out from the Eagles goal and sat in front of Haynes which bewildered me how the Eagles could let that happen. Paul Foster had a 3rd quarter to remember having 3 centre clearances in a row and a hand in Bombers 45 point lead early in the 3rd. It was a bath of goals by the bombers and the eagles could only watch as Cobden showed them how far they still have to go to match the best on a regular occasion. Damon Delany was lively and creative, Lewis Cahill was terrific, Daryl Beechey carved up Jake Myles, and Klint Wagstaff dominated David Haynes. Where to next for the Eagles is a question mark. Beaten well by Koroit and now Cobden. Are they just middle of the pack?? At their best they are top 3 at their worst they won't bother any of the top 4. Lacked any sort of gameplan that involves a defensive set up. Poor zone, poor press, poor footy. Harsh but I feel very fair. The Bombers are a huge chance for a flag even with the injuries.

Wbool took care of Hamilton by 15 goals, Rowan with a bag of 7!

Koroit had trouble with Terang but managed to get over the line by 11 points

Camperdown made light work of Portland winning by 10 goals.

South Warrnambool had a win over Port Fairy.

Early discussion for the worst recruit of the year. My nomination - Peter Corredig

I notice you are from Ocean Grove where I have heard Corredig is from. From what I understand he has been playing a role in a very good Warrnambool outfit. I'm sure most clubs are happy with any recruits they get. Maybe stick to commenting on the Bellarine League and try to remain positive. Seeya

Remove this Banner Ad

Back