Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Hi all :)

I have a friend in Japan who is starting a footy team over there, to be called to Hiroshima Cranes.

I've been working on a few ideas myself, none of which i'm happy with, so I thought i'd throw it over to you guys and see what you can come up with.

Nothing in black/white, dark/light blue, red/black, green/white/black, red/white as they are already being used.

Any help much appreciated :)

hiroshimacranescopy.jpg

Read this thread an had an idea straight away.

Just had to consider the colour combination for the main and secondary colours but I think they work quite well together and will be unique to the competition.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the name Hiroshima and Cranes was the symbol of Hiroshima since the nuclear bomb, the paper crane. So I created a guernsey that utilises them in a sash design.

I chose the colour pink (in a very pale form) to symbolise peace and then chose the purple to complement it. The cranes are made up of several different colours to represent the colours of the origami paper that the cranes are made of as well as the colours of the world being as one (to keep with the peace theme).

HiroshimaCranes.png

Just had to consider the colour combination for the main and secondary colours but I think they work quite well together and will be unique to the competition.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the name Hiroshima and Cranes was the symbol of Hiroshima since the nuclear bomb, the paper crane. So I created a guernsey that utilises them in a sash design.

I chose the colour pink (in a very pale form) to symbolise peace and then chose the purple to complement it. The cranes are made up of several different colours to represent the colours of the origami paper that the cranes are made of as well as the colours of the world being as one (to keep with the peace theme).

HiroshimaCranes.png

I just spoke to my mate and he was saying he prefers the origami crane to a real one, so good thinking there :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting choice for the team mascot - the paper crane has a a huge symbolic value in Hiroshima - it is basically the symbol of the city.

Basically the story is a little girl was in Hiroshima when the A-bomb was dropped. She developed Leukemia. Cranes are a symbol of long life, and she thought if she made 1000 of them she would get better - she made 600, but then died. As a result, thousands of paper cranes are made and sent to Hiroshima every year, and the crane is hugely symbolic in the A-bomb remembrances.

1000 cranes is recognised as a gift of caring for the sick and injured throughout Japan.

9um2cw.png

Here is my go at a Hiroshima Cranes design.

The logo is meant to be a paper crane facing front-on, which makes the star shape with the wings out at the sides. The head of the crane (and the football on top of it) is hard to see because of the resizing, so right click "view image" if you want to see the bigger version.

The deep blue and red represent the opposite sides of paper that make the crane shape, which is also represented in the two-panel design of the jumper. I also chose these shades of blue and red because they look like Barcelona, who had the best looking two-panel jumpers going around imo before they went back to vertical stripes. The gold is also used by Barca and it serves as a good contrast colour for jumper numbers and the logo.

I was going to go with Green and White (the Hiroshima flag is in these colours) but I noticed there was already a team that uses these colours with black, which might have clashed a bit too much. But pretty much any two colours can be used in the design. It's even "ochre-friendly" (inspired by Liam Boy's design) :p.

2j5f9rt.png

What kind of fields do they play on in Japan?
Having lived in Japan, there must be very limited space for footy fields, especially when most of the baseball and soccer pitches are gravel anyway.

I seem to remember watching something about footy in Asia - they play on soccer pitches, and I think it's 10 or 11-a-side or something.

They play on Rugby/Soccer pitches. I did play once in Nagoya (against Nagoya) on a gravel soccer field. It sucked.
Both teams agreed pre-game to no throw downs and to go easy on downed players. It worked pretty well though a couple times players forgot as both teams went in pretty hard.
It was a good day all in all.
It's between 9-11 a side. I kind of forgot dammit.

HiroshimaCranes.png

So, sorry for the delay, but we will be buying a new set of jumpers this week and the club will be playing its first game in Osaka at the end of September. People really loved the inclusion of the origami cranes in this design, but the purple and pink was not such a hit. One of the people putting money into this venture (not me btw) is a Geelong supporter and it has been asked whether a design could be made mixing the Geelong jumper and an origami crane theme. I know most of you are not Geelong supporters, but it would be a great help if you guys could make up some draft jumpers. Time is of the essence as we need to order before the weekend.

Thanks!

HiroshimaCranes.png
So, sorry for the delay, but we will be buying a new set of jumpers this week and the club will be playing its first game in Osaka at the end of September. People really loved the inclusion of the origami cranes in this design, but the purple and pink was not such a hit. One of the people putting money into this venture (not me btw) is a Geelong supporter and it has been asked whether a design could be made mixing the Geelong jumper and an origami crane theme. I know most of you are not Geelong supporters, but it would be a great help if you guys could make up some draft jumpers. Time is of the essence as we need to order before the weekend.

Thanks!

HiroshimaCranesremake_zpsea83a8f2.png

ic3iwz.png
Thank you to everyone for your input - especially to craegus. This is the final version of the jumper. I will be placing the order in the next few days. Look out for the new Hiroshima Cranes in Japan this year. :) Follow us on FB!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back