Universal Love Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Add to that the best young ruck in the game.
It's making me re-think our next off-season or two.

Mid-year last year I thought we'd be looking for senior players in 2024, & '25, and agreed with that premise, but now I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't mind us just keeping all our picks for the foreseeable future and continuing to add to this quickly growing group.

If we can just hold ground with performance from some of the more senior players for a couple years, we could have another golden era brewing once that young group is getting towards their mid-20s.

That's the scary part for the rest of the league, the youngsters haven't even scratched the surface of their best footy yet.

The only genuine hole appears to be a superstar key forward, and I've got no doubt the club have got plans in place to find the partner for Henry & Neale long term.

Much like Jezza, they're planning for these things years in advance.

It's making me re-think our next off-season or two.

Mid-year last year I thought we'd be looking for senior players in 2024, & '25, and agreed with that premise, but now I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't mind us just keeping all our picks for the foreseeable future and continuing to add to this quickly growing group.

If we can just hold ground with performance from some of the more senior players for a couple years, we could have another golden era brewing once that young group is getting towards their mid-20s.

That's the scary part for the rest of the league, the youngsters haven't even scratched the surface of their best footy yet.

The only genuine hole appears to be a superstar key forward, and I've got no doubt the club have got plans in place to find the partner for Henry & Neale long term.

Much like Jezza, they're planning for these things years in advance.

We still have a number of retirements to come and will need replacement. Not all can be achieved with our current list or quickly through the draft. So I think an ongoing combination of draft/trade/free agency will be used to address these needs.

We still have a number of retirements to come and will need replacement. Not all can be achieved with our current list or quickly through the draft. So I think an ongoing combination of draft/trade/free agency will be used to address these needs.
Not hard to see the demographic we will be targeting...

1712139210596.png

Looking at the current 2024 team, it's hard not to be impressed at what this club is doing. We only just won a Premiership in 2022 with the oldest ever side to do it. And now here we are - so much great young talent in the side, starting to perform already, and with so much improvement still to come. Unreal.

It's been a good start but let's be reasonable. The three teams we've beaten have won a collective total of 1 game this season. Hawks will be bottom 4 again this year while Saints and Adelaide look to have regressed from last year. Rounds 6-9 will give us a good indication of how we, and the younger players in the side, are really traveling this year and for our rebuild.

Using win-loss in round 3 is hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since we took Harry Taylor in 2007, this is what we’ve done with our picks teens picks.

2008 - 15 - Mitch Brown
2009 - 17 - Dan Menzel
2010 - 15 - Billie Smedts
2012 - 16 - Jackson Thurlow
2013 - 16 - Darcy Lang
2014 - 10 - Nakia Cockatoo
2018 - 15 - Jordan Clark
2019 - 16 - Cooper Stephens
2019 - 19 - Sam De Koning

Here’s the 20’s picks

2009 - 28 - Mitch Duncan
2010 - 23 - Cam Guthrie
2016 - 26 - Brandan Parfitt
2017 - 22 - Lachy Fogarty
2017 - 24 - Tim Kelly
2020 - 20 - Max Holmes
2021 - 24 - Toby Conway
2021 - 25 - Mitch Knevitt

The good news is Knevitt and Conway will be stars.
No denying we have blown a lot of first round picks in the past 15 years. SDK has obviously been a huge success, and I have little doubt thst Menzel could have been absolutely anything barring injury.

Injuries were obviously also a factor with a few others who didn't work out, but I think we have to accept that as good as Wells has been over a very long period, that he had a rather poor run at the selection table with our first round picks from 2008 - 2018.

No denying we have blown a lot of first round picks in the past 15 years. SDK has obviously been a huge success, and I have little doubt thst Menzel could have been absolutely anything barring injury.

Injuries were obviously also a factor with a few others who didn't work out, but I think we have to accept that as good as Wells has been over a very long period, that he had a rather poor run at the selection table with our first round picks from 2008 - 2018.
It would be cheating if we also nailed our first round picks.

I think that's... .... look, it's plausible, but unlikely. Jackson is shaping up as a generational talent. His start to this year has been exceptional.

Can see the opposing view of course. Very different types of ruck too. But I’m seeing some terrific early signs with Conway. I think with a few more pre seasons and strength, he’ll be more influential at stoppages than Jackson. May not be quite as good around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back