How do we stop the slingshot run and carry 2024 gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
We are seeing it everywhere… almost every side has a carbon copy gameplan of one another….. get the ball via a turnover across as HB, run and carry the ball forward through midfield in numbers and take on the angles… nobody is original with this.

The question I think in terms of who will go on to win the flag will be who can work out a way to stop and defend this better than anyone else.

Discuss your thoughts defensively what needs to be done

Possibly the best way is to play the wings and get bodies in the middle to help stop the slingshot coming back through the middle.

I noticed last night Geelong were very hesitant on attacking through the corridor.
This reminds me of what jack riewoldt said which was “measured risks”. You want to take a risk but do it in a way that is not stupid or low odds or putting your side at a vulnerability of it goes wrong.

We are seeing it everywhere… almost every side has a carbon copy gameplan of one another….. get the ball via a turnover across as HB, run and carry the ball forward through midfield in numbers and take on the angles… nobody is original with this.

The question I think in terms of who will go on to win the flag will be who can work out a way to stop and defend this better than anyone else.

Discuss your thoughts defensively what needs to be done
I thought the Cats were quite good countering that game plan Saturday night they set up the wall with Stewart Zuthrie Kolo all taking intercept marks with the help of the forwards pressuring the Saints on the wayout, really it took a lot of luck with a few free kicks or a blind hack kick forward to land in a Saints possession for them to go into their forward 50 at all.
Sure they occasionally got through but not often enough to put up a winning score.

We did it in 2022, against sides that were employing it constantly - like Collingwood and Sydney -, and a side where it was their game plan for years - Richmond.

The key for mine, is composure and picking your way through it by opening up space. We tried this from 2016-2021 with some effect, but really got nowhere when the pressure dialled up.

Difference I think in how we counter it, is we pick through it fast with long or short kicking and overlap running from the back half. It was the biggest noticeable difference in 2022, and what ultimately destroyed certain sides that couldn't cope with the speed of which we got over/through their zone.

This wasn't because we were a quick team, it was because we were a quick disposal team. We knew when to hold 'em and knew when to fold 'em. Wasn't always pretty, but it was done with confidence, but also knowing your limitations.

We employed this last night, and it's why we had so many inside 50's. Problem was, we couldn't convert, and we couldn't pick our way through the flooded forward line that Ross had created (in his infinite wisdom).

Which brings me to my point, that the thing I think that does not get recognized enough, is how like in basketball, being quick to flood back to your defensive half, allows you to defend better. When we deliver the ball into a flooded forward line, it often is done to a pack and without much thought about who is ready to cover if they come back the other way. This is the big think we need to work on this season. Choosing options that allow for our defenders to get back easier.

Whether that be to the boundary line, deeper in the pocket, or moving the ball around until we find a target rather than bombing it in - ala 2022 -, we definitely need to find a solution to this or we will get cut up on the rebound by faster teams. That to me is how you stop the slingshot, and counter the flood; by being patient on the arc of the 50 and making sure when you deliver it, that you're not leaving your own defensive half exposed on the counter-attack. The Giants have become masters at this, but do not flood like the Saints and leave enough attacking players for the rebound out. This is what we should be emulating, but with our own style/game plan that won us the flag in 2022.

Wait 6 weeks. Wait for it to get colder, the grounds to get heavier and the players to have half a dozen matches in the legs.

Those runners won't have quite the same acceleration and forward lines will have more cohesion giving less chances to rebound.
was gonna say play more games at KP lol....

Thinner ground, easier to squeeze the wings and keep them corridor sentric and thus less area to defend when they go fast.

Also have defenders fill the gap towards the ball carrier at all cost.

No player likes having the space in front of them closed - increases skill errors and makes people think twice and pause... and that can cause control and decision making errors.

GO Catters

We shouldn't have to counter it if we become more efficient kicking inside 50. But answer otherwise is pressure on the defender (Rohan) and flooding the corridor with intercept markers
Yep. Strong defensive running from the half forwards helps. It's why close is important and why Dempsey will become important. The can cover so much ground that they help shut down space to pressure the ball carriers or prevent the switch. It's all about having enough pressure on the ball carriers so the intercept markers have a chance.

Kick goals and then go back to the centre for a 6:6 forward line set up at the bounce. A throw-in in the forward line with a 50:50 chance is even preferable to a behind which allows the oppo to set up for a fast transition. All Geelong’s permanent forwards are now accurate kicks for goal (exception Gryan who mainly passes) but except for Ollie Dempsey were rusty Saturday night. Goal kicking accuracy even more important in the modern game.

was gonna say play more games at KP lol....

Thinner ground, easier to squeeze the wings and keep them corridor sentric and thus less area to defend when they go fast.

Also have defenders fill the gap towards the ball carrier at all cost.

No player likes having the space in front of them closed - increases skill errors and makes people think twice and pause... and that can cause control and decision making errors.

GO Catters

Could be wrong here but wouldn't this also be a double edged sword?

The narrower forward line means they don't have to push as many numbers deep to achieve the same level of flood and can hold players a bit further for better rebound?

Don’t drop marks and kick the gettable goals. Saints got over the top a few times due to missed sitters and dropping marks we were in good position for. The rust will wear off, it’s early days and tbh looking at the sample size, the cats did a pretty good job of getting a winning lead, reckon a few of them thought it was won with 5 min to go and gave in to fatigue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back