Bews and Rohan - are they done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sitting next to the bench yesterday Bews’ body looks shot but he’s a competitor and you know what you’ll get if called up. Rohan be useful to play when the whips are cracking but the green tarp just as likely unfortunately.

I agree with that..i view bews like i did dahl in 2022..both are heart and soul competitors who will give you everything they have but their bodies are cooked. You might get one or two decent games but thats it bews wont be best 22 and will retire at years end.

Rohan is different..we wont see him til about round 8 i reckon but when he comes back if the body is good i think his form is still very good and his pack marking offers us something we lack.
But by the time he gets back and i think dempsey will be undroppable and mannagh should be too.
And you cant fit all of hawk jez henry rohan stengle miers close dempsey and mannagh in the fwd line no way. So unless someone like dempsey becomes a winger full time (which would have the knock on effect of us having to drop a mid or a defender) then i cant see how kt works. Its hard to justify dropping a mid (as thats our weakest line) to play like 9 fwds.

So i think rohan is the 1st emergency waiting for an injury..i reckon he will be outside the team but not by much.

I cant see Mullin being better that quickly. If I were thinking we need a small to try to shut down Toby then id be playing Bews before Mullin atm... but each game he plays , he is slipstreaming Bews and gaining ground on him. When he starts taking the ball and using his pace and taking on oppoents we will know he is in front. Your right it could be this year after 10 games but I suspect it will be 2025. The issue for him ..he has no time to waste ..he is 24 , he is at an age he should playing the game..not letting it play him.

I dont think its that binary though.
Bews wont play because hes cooked. Mullin wont get those jobs this year bc hes not ready. Someone like zuthrie or oconnor will get them in the short term until mullin is ready or we draft or trade someone else for that spot.

I would say he is because of ground level pressure. Ollie is great in the air and can kick a clutch goal but Rohan impacts a ton of general play with defensive pressure in f50. 2022 he was a massive part of generating so many turnovers that we used to generate scoring shots. We just don't defend f50 anything like we did in 2022 without him and it hurts us.

I love Henry but I'm not taking him over a fit Rohan and I think people who would may have short memories.

Whether thats true or not there isnt a realistic outcome where geelong drops henry.

So you are really talking about dropping dempsey or one of the three smalls to get rohan back in. Thus him being injured while dempsey is performing is untimely.

Yeah, agreed. A guy who kicks 40 in a year where he turns 21 is undroppable.

Thats precisely what i was getting at.

I do think rohan adds real value to us but it wont be with henry out and im not sure how we fit rohan in.

Bews is only 30.

Wonder if a very young club like Hawthorn or North might be interested in him just to provide an experienced head?

He'd be worth minimum chips if he's not making best 22, but it would be something.

Id love to see that but im not sure his body has much left.

Bews is only 30.

Wonder if a very young club like Hawthorn or North might be interested in him just to provide an experienced head?

He'd be worth minimum chips if he's not making best 22, but it would be something.
Probably not - if you go for that kind of player, then you want someone with leadership experience a la Rory Sloane or something.

Rohan actually fits todays style of play more than ever.

Fast impact style slingshot style footy catching sides over the back of their press.

I don’t think there are too many defenses that would feel comfortable seeing Rohan charging into an open forward fifty in a foot race against them… I think most would s**t themselves.

I think a lot will come down to are we genuine flag contenders or are we not. If we are… Rohan needs to play. If we aren’t, probably give the spot to someone else when he comes back.

He adds serious speed and penetration to our side that not many can.

Rohan still adds to our team if he can get back to full fitness. Dempsey can play on the wing pushing forward (like he did on the weekend). And otherwise our forward line is basically the same as last year when he was an automatic inclusion.

Bews on the other hand might struggle. He's always had limitations and while he might play the odd game here or there, if they're picking Mullin over him on the weekend I don't see him playing too much unless we have bunch of injuries.

This is where I sit too. He is an AFL standard player, fully fit, but I struggle with who to drop.
I think if he is fully fit (which is a big if), he definitely get's picked ahead of Dempsey and Mannagh. They may still try and play one of those two up the ground, but as a forward Rohan is probably ahead of them

And other than that you don't need to drop anyone? He played last year with all of Hawkins, Cameron, OHenry, Close, Miers and Stengle, so it's not really any different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats precisely what i was getting at.

I do think rohan adds real value to us but it wont be with henry out and im not sure how we fit rohan in.
Sub. Maximal impact. Short burst.

Id love to see that but im not sure his body has much left.
Always respect your insights. Is this based on what you have seen, or has there been commentary that Bews is struggling with his body?
I did not notice it last year.

If Jezza, Hawk and Ollie play, then Rohan wont - but there will be more times than not this season when not all those three take the field
Surely a fit Rohan gets in ahead of Knevitt this year, albeit as a sub?

It is a strange thread to pop up immediately after Parfitt was written off completely and came in and played a role.

All 3 are capable of doing a job at AFL level if required.
Yep at this stage Bews and Parfitt are seen as fringe but i would count on them being able to do a job if they are called up ala Parfitt last round.

Yeah maybe team defence across the board is doing it for us but for the extra 0.66 goals per game last year we gained from Henry over Rohan I would take Rohan for defensive pressure and positional flexibility.

I think Henry is an A grade prospect for us long term, but in a choice him and 2022 Rohan right now I'd go Rohan
Rohan may add depth through the season. He does bring that rapid closing pace that opposition players hate (and we love), but he may possibly come in to provide a rest for some of the younger players through the year. Just a thought.

Sub. Maximal impact. Short burst.

Potentially and that might be what we do but i would expect with our sub spot (if it was a GF tomorrow) that we would look to bolster the midfield.

Potentially and that might be what we do but i would expect with our sub spot (if it was a GF tomorrow) that we would look to bolster the midfield.
With? Given Duncan and Bruhn should return, and CGuth and Danger are missing as usual.

Always respect your insights. Is this based on what you have seen, or has there been commentary that Bews is struggling with his body?
I did not notice it last year.

Its hard to notice with bews bc he goes 100 % hard at it every time. But last year to me it seemed he didnt quite have the same recovery after the initial contest and was going to ground a bit more. These to me are always telltale signs of a body slowing down.
And this year's pre season he has looked the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back