Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was a half empty stadium. I would really hate going to a game like that and getting packed into one stand like sardines. Fair enough you don't want pay to open multiple food outlets or clean extra toilet blocks etc but just open them in the main stand and let people spread out a bit to watch the game.

Exactly. Was waiting for someone to bring it up, felt like ringing KRock. Disgusting shemozzle for everyone- those with accessible needs especially.
Parking a rafffle, patrons allowed to crowd the disability entry, limited wheelchair seats that couldn't be booked. I felt really ashamed watching some disabled bomber fans struggle into the ground and not have somewhere to sit.... probably rushed down the highway after work. Then they open up the new stand and people (strugglers on sticks) are told to get up there. Atrocious backward treatment from GFC, AFL and Council.

Our midfield looks really thin, Bruhn just doesnt look like progressing, hopefully we can get a full year into Clarke.
From you comment Grimoz I'd say it's you that doesn't look like progressing with any future comments as you have 'no clue' about Bruhn, there were a number of plays against the Bombers, especially in the 2nd half where the kid was simply brilliant and as someone has already stated on this thread his disposal efficiency, effectiveness and decision making has gone from ordinary to ok to almost elite in a very short space of time and the other thing that has impressed me with Bruhn which I even commented on from his very first game for us in a preseason game against the Hawks is how tough at the contest he is for a small player which is rare as he is as tough as nails, Bruhn has the makings of a A grade footballer or B grade at worst so your comments carry no weight with me at all.

Last edited:
dazbroncos .... what was your thoughts on Shannon Neale?
kinda how I thought it would go with the under on 2.5 goals

He's got the tools. He reads the play well and gets to the right spots - just needs to execute better in the moments.
think he kicked 1.3 and dropped maybe 2 marks he'd like back.

Kicked a nice goal and probably would have had another if the advantage wasn't payed to Holmes.

He just needs to keep getting games. I reckon the pressure is pretty high on him too ( from himself) given that Tomma and Jez are both there at the same time as well as him - feeling like he has to make every second count - which every player does I know but in reality it doesnt work like that.

Id lke to see a little more defensive running from him too in F 50 - a few times it looked like he dropped off the chase - but its also a 203 bloke in game 5 so there will be fluctuations.

He prob wont play Rd 1 on form but he needs a block of games and to be told you are in for the next 6 weeks - just go play GFC footy.

GO Catters

Oh.. and Dempsey is flashing harder and brighter than I thought he would. Still needs work but the skills are there and Stengle could be the one he pushes out if Stengle doesnt want to stay at Geelong ( I have zero info that says Stengle wont stay btw)

Neale still looked like the same issues as previously. Really nice skills, leads well and looks good when he's in the right position but he really lacks competitiveness both in the ruck and forward. I'd prefer for him to give away some free kicks by shoving or grabbing blokes when he's out of position or outnumbered. At the moment he's just accepting being outmarked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay again Bruhn was really good. Bruhn, Clark, Holmes and Bowes were our best midfielders.

That can be taken either way because Duncan, Danger and Atkins looked really poor when they were in midfield. I assume they were just cruising through and getting some run in the legs. But we can't afford to have them drop off much if we're going to be competitive even if the youngsters step up.

Neale still looked like the same issues as previously. Really nice skills, leads well and looks good when he's in the right position but he really lacks competitiveness both in the ruck and forward. I'd prefer for him to give away some free kicks by shoving or grabbing blokes when he's out of position or outnumbered. At the moment he's just accepting being outmarked.

The delivery to the forwards was rank, so I’ll cut him some slack there, but his ruck work is a concern and needs to improve. Steven King alluded to it in his post-match interview.
Outside of an injury to a key forward, the only way he gets a game is as a 2nd ruck/3rd tall forward. He has to at least compete in the ruck as a minimum, and he struggles at that.

Sav was derided when we tried him in the same role. Neale, at the same stage in their careers, hasn’t shown nearly as much as Sav did.

Watching the replay again Bruhn was really good. Bruhn, Clark, Holmes and Bowes were our best midfielders.

That can be taken either way because Duncan, Danger and Atkins looked really poor when they were in midfield. I assume they were just cruising through and getting some run in the legs. But we can't afford to have them drop off much if we're going to be competitive even if the youngsters step up.

A number of our senior players looked to be going through the motions.
The kids looked good, I agree, but a fit Blicavs showed why he is so important to this team. Shutdown Merrett, and made him accountable, and was leading/directing the kids at the stoppages.
Did what ever role he was asked to do across the midfield (wing, ruck, shutdown) with aplomb.

The delivery to the forwards was rank, so I’ll cut him some slack there, but his ruck work is a concern and needs to improve. Steven King alluded to it in his post-match interview.
Outside of an injury to a key forward, the only way he gets a game is as a 2nd ruck/3rd tall forward. He has to at least compete in the ruck as a minimum, and he struggles at that.

Sav was derided when we tried him in the same role. Neale, at the same stage in their careers, hasn’t shown nearly as much as Sav did.

Neale not shown as much as Sav? Not sure I agree with that. Sav played more seniors because we didn't have anyone else, and his first 5 games were more hype than substance which is pretty well aligned for both.

You can only compare vfl numbers I think. Vfl tables only kicked off for 2021 at which point Sav was 23 I think and had 40 senior games under his belt going into the season. Discounting 2023 where he played backline he kicked 4 goals total and never more than 2 the 2 years he was a forward.

Shannon in the same period, aged 19-21, only went goal less in 3 games. Kicked 3 or more in 30% of his games. Met or exceeded Savs best majors in 65% of his games.

I could be wrong but I feel that if we gave Shannon half the chance we gave Sav then his afl output will rapidly show a class difference between him and Sav.

Is that enough to be an afl forward? Don't know, Sav as a forward is a low bar.

That could use a little more research Bowes breakout year with the Suns on ball was 2021 that's not 6 years ago injured for the most part of 2022 came back and played in the back half towards the latter end of the year before being traded to the Cats where he was used down back and on the pill as required 2023 season.
The only game I'd say he played midfielder last year was round 24, in a dead rubber. He got a third of his CBAs last season in that game alone, which I would argue proves my point.

I don't understand how it's controversial to say he hasn't played much as a midfielder for us, and therefore would benefit from more exposure there if we are planning on playing him predominantly as a mid this year. But that's ok.

Ok well if we're onto debating the history of Jack Bowes midfield work then I think maybe this thread may have run its course.

Any mod or there wasn't too lock this bad boy up? Might be time for a round 1 preview thread?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back