Game Day Cats V Blues 8 quarter Preseason Blockbuster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have loved to have seen more of Mannagh.

I think he probably played maybe 1.5 quarters… but he looked completely comfortable and up to the level imo.

Maybe he continued with the VFL side.

I think he will play plenty of footy this year in the AFL.

He just knows how to play.

Just footy IQ.

I know the heat didnt help but i saw so many of our players make dumb decisions or skill errors today whereas he seemed neat with his skills and smart with his decisions. Dempsey the same and miers and zuthrie too. I agree i think he plays round 1.

In general the team was scrappy today.

I trust your judgement.

But to be clear I am worried you Mannagh crush will dilute your Bruhn crush and I need you to keep the faith.

You and I have been on that crusade and we haven’t won everyone over yet!

I am ok for the mannagh crusade but only if you keep with me on Tanner!!

Definitely not getting off the tanner bus dont you worry! But mannagh might be able to ride shotgun with tanner and henry i reckon.

Did anyone see Parfitt play?

No i didnt.

Based on today i would assume parfitt and bews will both be getting a lot of the higgins/dahlhaus 2022 treatment this year.

Just finished the replay.

Main take-out from me was that we can expect a renewed focus on moving the ball quickly. Obviously welcome.

I really liked Bowes’ game. He looked very comfortable as a mid. Involved and used the ball well.

Didn’t really take much else from it. I didn’t think many of the second tier made a strong claim although most were ok. I expect the likes of Conway, Dempsey, Neale, Knevitt and Clark all to start the year in the VFL.

Aside from Guthrie it was good to get through unscathed. If we are to have a chance this year we need a better run with injuries. The toll quickly becomes too great when you get them early in the year. Fingers crossed we keep the squad together early.
I think the door might be open for Clark with Guthrie out,

Not sure what to make of Mannagh. I'm guessing not playing until the second half means he's down the pecking order or at least was before today.

But he looked good. Gave me Brad Close like vibes. Just smart and clean. At the same time he had the advantage of coming in fresh against players who had slugged out a half in 35 degree heat.

I feel like Mannagh, Dempsey and Neale all put their names up a bit but you can't fit them all in.

Clark couldn’t even hit the stationary umpire with a handball after the 3 quarter siren sounded.
I just think he was rushed, there was a kick late that he sent inside 50 lace out when he had a little more space. I think he has the skills, just had a bad day. It happens.

Edit: I did see the handpass but I just don't think he was even really looking or caring where he sent that one.

Watched the replay on Fox Footy
Hard to assess a no pressure game
Cats superior skills and smarts won it
Cats quick transition nice to watch.
Ball moving to free wide man not contest
Plenty of positive glimpses from Kittens
38C heat saw game end 2Q early
Few of the Cats did not get to play
Worries about The Cliff averted.

We were a bit scrappy at times but there was some very nice ball movement on the wings , and clearly some forward capability. Seemed like Carlton were struggling to hit the scoreboard at times during their dominant periods, and their forward line looked out of sync.

Looking at younger players who stood out -

Toby Conway - bit of a beast often tapped it to advantage , and when the ball was in play chased up with speed. I often worry about his limbs snapping off tho some of the awkward positions he ends up in.

Gryan Miers - Will continue to be extremely important this season and tbh looks like a midfielder that plays on the wing. Extremely dynamic.

Max Holmes - It was awful listening to Curnow but he got one thing right. He will be a handful for the opposition. Especially one on one. Best played on the wing or mf. Not back. Could have a breakout year.

Jhye Clark - Ability to get around the ground and quick hand ball work was exceptional. Looks like a more classy Atkins.

Ollie Henry looked amazingly skilled. Like approaching Jez level.

SDK looks like he's put on some size.

Mannagh is a bit like Miers. His kicks can be a bit high risk high reward. But something about the contact he makes, the ball travels so quickly. Don't like him as a forward tho.

Dempsey - got the athleticism and x factor. Almost wasted up forward tho.

COS - liked the effort in the contest. Didn't look like the elite intercept marker he was talked up to be.

Bowes - Very good tackling and kicking.

The cowboy - athletically gifted but sometimes looks lost. Needs more game time.

Zac Guthrie - Looked like Blitz at times, could he move into the mf ?

Tanner - pretty good

Stengle - very meh

Danger - Maybe it's time to move to the forward line and impact there.

Oisin - didn't see him

Close - didn't see him

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just footy IQ.

I know the heat didnt help but i saw so many of our players make dumb decisions or skill errors today whereas he seemed neat with his skills and smart with his decisions. Dempsey the same and miers and zuthrie too. I agree i think he plays round 1.

In general the team was scrappy today.
You can make yourselves look like superstars in intra-clubs and club match sims as everyone is on the same page. Add the opposition element in and added pressure and it takes a bit to adjust. Never seen a non scrappy match sim.

Time to wrap this up.

Preseason thread back open too.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back