What do we need to do to return back to premiership contention?

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched any VFL this year.

Is Dempsey just as adept on the wing as up forward? Because I feel like from next year that's where we need him, to replace Smith. Hopefully he can put on enough size to at least handle himself at AFL level. It took Z.Guthrie a while.
Ultimately (after another few pre seasons) I see him as a midfielder. He knows how to find the ball…but his body couldn’t compete at AFL MF. Winger I reckon is a good option as he can present for marks too. Last year they did have him on the wing a lot but this year I can’t remember him playing there - so I assume they have locked him in at HHF for now (which is probably what Smith is playing a lot of now anyway). I assume this is the position they think he will have more chance to play AFL in short term?

I am not sure we know what we have yet. How good or best position. Certaintly he is becoMing more consistent and confident so I am hoping that year 2 to 3 will be a massive leap forward.

Also very hopeful for Jyhe and Toby to accelerate if they get a run at it

I think we need to maintain some perspective on this year and 2022.
So much went right last year.
Jezza had a full year.
Stengle was a risk that paid off big-time
Selwood final year factor
Miers and Close stepped up.
Almost everyone came good when they needed too.
And injuries were dealt with early.
This year we lost Selwood and pretty much Guthrie for the year. And Danger has been in and out and a year older. That’s our core mid-field.
Parfitt hasn’t stepped up. Holmes and Brun show promise but would not be feared by oppo coaches yet.
Now we lose Blicavs for likely the rest of the season (Bontompelli will tear us a new one without Blicavs for company in Rd 24).
We have won 25% of the flags since 2017!!!
And only missed finals once in that time. Extraordinary success by any measure.
We go into every season with a plan.
In 2022 EVERYTHING worked.
This year…not so much.
We need patience and faith.
There will no doubt be trades to come and careers built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we need to maintain some perspective on this year and 2022.
So much went right last year.
Jezza had a full year.
Stengle was a risk that paid off big-time
Selwood final year factor
Miers and Close stepped up.
Almost everyone came good when they needed too.
And injuries were dealt with early.
This year we lost Selwood and pretty much Guthrie for the year. And Danger has been in and out and a year older. That’s our core mid-field.
Parfitt hasn’t stepped up. Holmes and Brun show promise but would not be feared by oppo coaches yet.
Now we lose Blicavs for likely the rest of the season (Bontompelli will tear us a new one without Blicavs for company in Rd 24).
We have won 25% of the flags since 2017!!!
And only missed finals once in that time. Extraordinary success by any measure.
We go into every season with a plan.
In 2022 EVERYTHING worked.
This year…not so much.
We need patience and faith.
There will no doubt be trades to come and careers built.

Grossly underachived in the last decade, such an outstanding list should have won a few more flags between the two book ends.
2008 will also be the one that got away.

Grossly underachived in the last decade, such an outstanding list should have won a few more flags between the two book ends.

Underachieved? Clearly we had flaws or we would have won more flags. Maybe you think we were badly coached, yet we have the winningest coach in AFL/VFL history.
Under CS, we have achieved 2 flags, and with the exception of 2026, been in the hunt despite bugger all deep draft picks.

It wasn't that good a list.

Worst ruck division in the league during that time, also a very poor small forward division. No coincidence that we came good when Stanley started to get on top in hitouts and Miers, Close and Stengle became an excellent unit.

Up till roughly 2020, our bottom six in every 22 was pretty ordinary, too. Even in the year when we should have won it - 2019 IMO - we still carried a very young Jack Henry, Esava, Narkle, O'Connor, Atkins out of position as a forward, and Jed Bews at a time when he could not find the football for love or money.

Really need a high quality mid and and another b+ at least in there
This could come from Bruhn, Knevitt and Clark but perhaps not for another season or two hence why bring on Parish
Its the types of mids we need, we need an accumulator, someone who can get 28-35 a week, and a midfield bull to eventually take Paddys spot.

I think a decent core is in place, if Knevitt and Clark can join Bruhn and Holmes. It's not everything, but it's a start.
If we could get a couple of 25-28 year olds I’d be much more optimistic. Right now it’s pain for several years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back