canny30

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Max Rooke
Last week their section was 2/3rds empty and silent.

This week no banner for Stewart's 150tbh

Unacceptable. One job. Sort it out.

Apparantly they are now charging full price for seats in the Cheer Squad. Whilst this might get rid of the old farts that just sit there for a cheap seat, it also makes it hard for the enthusiastic younger supporters who can't afford it. What they should be doing is still make it cheaper for youth, student and junior members.
The story I've heard from last week is that they had most of the banner made and intended to put the finishing touches and tape it to the poles in Adelaide. However they tried to bring the equipment required (scissors,tape etc) along as hand baggage on the plane and it got confiscated at the airport security gates.

Apparantly they are now charging full price for seats in the Cheer Squad. Whilst this might get rid of the old farts that just sit there for a cheap seat, it also makes it hard for the enthusiastic younger supporters who can't afford it. What they should be doing is still make it cheaper for youth, student and junior members.
I wonder if there's also issues with younger people not being as bound by affiliations to certain groups in the same way as older fans?

Also, yeah, cost of living and housing bites hard.

This is a major factor now in politics and also in work - people used to be much more closely identified with a party and an employer, i.e. I'm a Labor man/a Liberal woman/a BHP guy/a Commonwealth girl etc etc. Younger people are now much less likely to identify with, and commit to, any particular affiliation.

I have to admit, as someone in my 30s, as much as I love my Cats, devoting so much time in my life (which I don't have) to a cheersquad does seem a bit... naff? If I were looking for something to belong to, sure - but it does seem more like yesteryear's thing, a little.

Last edited:

What was the previous price for tickets in the cheer squad section?

I wonder if there's also issues with younger people not being as bound by affiliations to certain groups in the same way as older fans?

Also, yeah, cost of living and housing bites hard.

This is a major factor now in politics and also in work - people used to be much more closely identified with a party and an employer, i.e. I'm a Labor man/a Liberal woman/a BHP guy/a Commonwealth girl etc etc. Younger people are now much less likely to identify with, and commit to, any particular affiliation.

I have to admit, as someone in my 30s, as much as I love my Cats, devoting so much time in my life (which I don't have) to a cheersquad does seem a bit... naff? If I were looking for something to belong to, sure - but it does seem more like yesteryear's thing, a little.
There's a bit of this, but on the other hand, through our success we've become a much more popular club nation wide.

20 years ago if you said to someone you where a Cats supporter, their response was either "Oh, so you grew up in Geelong/Surf Coast?" or "Do you have a fetish for disappointment?"

Nowadays, you get asked if you're a bandwagon/Glory hunter more than anything, particularly if you’re younger.

Living in Sydney, I've experienced it a bit myself, and had to explain that I was born into a Geelong family.

Parents grew up in Geelong, spent a lot of my childhood there, stuff like that to prove that I'm legit.

Also, I can't speak for the 80s/90s, but even in Sydney there's a lot more people wearing Geelong merchandise than you'd probably expect.

It used to be you only saw Collingwood and maybe Essendon, but we're pretty prevalent now to the point where it's not a surprise when you see a bloke with a cap, shorts, or Cats bumper sticker.

Best way I could describe it is we're the Green Bay Packers nowadays.

One of the smallest market clubs in the competition, but through success and star players, have managed to become one of the most recognised and supported clubs in the country.

They should just either sell that area cheaper for those who are cheersquad members. Or give whoever sits there some flags to wave and a staff member can collect after the game. Flags and banners used to be everywhere. Even free ford ones the club would give you on entry with little plastic poles. Just adds extra colour and atmosphere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back