AFLW 2024 AFLW season - Geelong & the greater league...

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this elsewhere and while not AFLW specific, this feels like a suitable thread

-/-

This isn't the cheapest Asahi I've had, but damn a cold beer tastes good in this humidity

IMG_4679.jpeg

Plus, standing inside an air-conditioned bar with a cold beer seemed a better option than standing in this merch

IMG_4678.jpeg

The outside merch stores for tonight's Matilda's game opened 90 minutes before the gates opened, they opened 3.5 hours before the match starts and no doubt they would have had people waiting for them to open at 4:30

And while they had a good choice of options outside, I took the easy option of heading to the near empty stand inside the Victory Room on the ground level - seems folks aren't looking inside the room to see that one. I bought what I wanted, and now have time to enjoy a cold beer before kickoff

Please do not think I'm complaining about the length of that line - I genuinely love that there's tonight's not just a sold out womens sporting match, but that's that many people turning up 90mins/2hrs plus, before kickoff, to do things like buy merch, have a drink with mates before the match etc etc etc

The train from Geelong was packed and a good number on it were heading here. I love seeing dad's in Matilda's guernseys along with their daughters & sons, the group of young guys wearing their Beekes Pararoos guernseys etc

I love football, but there's something about the atmosphere of women's sport that just feels that bit more inclusive & friendly atmosphere then we sometimes witness at other events

Former teammate of Anna-Rose Kennedy back in Ireland too, so she will at least know someone here when she moves across to Australia for pre-season training in June.

Imagine Morrison, McDonald and Prespakis feeding a forward line containing Scheer, Aishling Moloney and Kate Kenny....

To go with Kearns and Kennedy bringing the ball out of the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not playing in the AFLW for a few years....looks like WNBA first, but:-
"The Opals are not the only team in Amooreā€™s sights though ā€“ she doesnā€™t rule out one day playing for her beloved Geelong Cats in the AFLW. On a recent trip back to Australia, she went to a training session with the Catsā€™ menā€™s team, who presented her with a jersey ā€“ now one of her prized possessions. She immediately wore it to the park to kick the footy around."

Hocking on Krock was talking about the next section to be upgraded at the stadium will be the high performance facilities that run from the pocket in the Premiership Stand to the pocket in the Brownlow Stand

He spoke about how those facilities are used by 4 teams
  • AFL
  • AFLW, which is soon to become full-time, meaning we'll have two full-time teams operating from there
  • VFL & VFLW

We haven't even had the league provide definitive information about going full-time, so how great that this is something the club is forging ahead with themselves

Interesting listen, and the research they're only now starting to do around potential connections with injuries in women's sports

But there'd also be benifits at a lower level, including grass roots levels - sports bras are bloody uncomfortable, and if you're not comfortable then it can be a factoring in walking away from even casual comps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back