Universal Love Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Since we took Harry Taylor in 2007, this is what we’ve done with our picks teens picks.

2008 - 15 - Mitch Brown
2009 - 17 - Dan Menzel
2010 - 15 - Billie Smedts
2012 - 16 - Jackson Thurlow
2013 - 16 - Darcy Lang
2014 - 10 - Nakia Cockatoo
2018 - 15 - Jordan Clark
2019 - 16 - Cooper Stephens
2019 - 19 - Sam De Koning

Here’s the 20’s picks

2009 - 28 - Mitch Duncan
2010 - 23 - Cam Guthrie
2016 - 26 - Brandan Parfitt
2017 - 22 - Lachy Fogarty
2017 - 24 - Tim Kelly
2020 - 20 - Max Holmes
2021 - 24 - Toby Conway
2021 - 25 - Mitch Knevitt

The good news is Knevitt and Conway will be stars.

Since we took Harry Taylor in 2007, this is what we’ve done with our picks teens picks.

2008 - 15 - Mitch Brown
2009 - 17 - Dan Menzel
2013 - 16 - Darcy Lang
2018 - 15 - Jordan Clark

Here’s the 20’s picks

2009 - 28 - Mitch Duncan
2010 - 23 - Cam Guthrie
2017 - 24 - Tim Kelly
2020 - 20 - Max Holmes
2021 - 24 - Toby Conway

Why for years did we always lose coming of the bye?
It's one of those weird things, you just can't explain.
As good as Wells has been over the journey, this anomaly really stands out.

2008 - 15 - Mitch Brown
2009 - 17 - Dan Menzel
2013 - 16 - Darcy Lang
2018 - 15 - Jordan Clark

Here’s the 20’s picks

2009 - 28 - Mitch Duncan
2010 - 23 - Cam Guthrie
2017 - 24 - Tim Kelly
2020 - 20 - Max Holmes
2021 - 24 - Toby Conway

Missed out on some guns since 08..pity tho.
Botched up the Ablett picks Billie and caddy .

Still not as bad as Melbourne Morton,Sully etc era.

What a brilliant way to start a Sunday , thanks Art Vandelay_
Wells personifies so much about what is great about our Club.
Clearly he’s nailed the recruitment role in spades and has adapted to its changing environment over his long career.
What an asset he has been over the journey.
Apart from coming across as a genuinely nice guy it’s the humbleness and absence of ego that impresses me. He’s the embodiment of our Cats culture.
You just know he will be mentoring Mackie and the others so we won’t lose any momentum when he puts down the pen 👏👏

I still say Statue of Wellsy, Frank and Cookie are due.

We dont sit where we are today without all 3 of them.

period

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still say Statue of Wellsy, Frank and Cookie are due.

We dont sit where we are today without all 3 of them.

period

GO Catters

Alex Popescu is an unsung hero from that late 90s / early 2000s period - while not an employee at the club, those who who've had connections at the club, especially during our struggling period financially know of his contributions to things

Alex Popescu is an unsung hero from that late 90s / early 2000s period - while not an employee at the club, those who who've had connections at the club, especially during our struggling period financially know of his contributions to things
Neil Balme could do with a little figurine somewhere amongst those other guys too.

Geelong is rolling in 2024, undefeated in the first three games of the season following a 36-point Easter Monday win over Hawthorn.

While the big names at the Cattery continue to perform with the likes of Tom Stewart, Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron remaining at the top level, it has been the next generation of young Cats catapulting the team back into the winners’ column following last season’s premiership-defence blunder.

With the likes of Tanner Bruhn, Max Holmes, Jhye Clark, Oliver Dempsey and Sam De Koning playing such a high level of footy, it begs the conversation; have the Cats done it again?

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson certainly believe so, with big praise for the Cats’ next generation on SEN’s Breakfast this morning.

Lyon: “I will tell you what I loved about Geelong… the baton has been passed.

“Tanner Bruhn’s first half was unbelievable. Jhye Clark through the middle of the ground, looks like he’s more at home.

“Then you’ve got (Oliver) Dempsey and then you’ve got Ollie Henry (who has) taken responsibility for (James) Sicily.

“(Max) Holmes at half-back… they’ve done it again the Cats. They just keep them coming through.

Watson: “(Brad) Close… they’ve got very, very good, well-defined role players in that team, and they’ve got a bit of extra speed and ball movement.

Jeremy Cameron makes it very difficult… there’s a couple of really strong parts to their game that are hard to stop.

“I haven’t even spoken about Tom Stewart and what he can do.”

Bruhn led the Cats with 27 touches to go with five tackles in Monday’s lightning-interrupted win, alongside Holmes who collected 23 touches and a goal off half-back, Dempsey who had 22 disposals with seven tackles and Ollie Henry with four goals.

The new-look Geelong is set to take on the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night in the upcoming Gather Round.

Every other club.......

200.gif

It's been a good start but let's be reasonable. The three teams we've beaten have won a collective total of 1 game this season. Hawks will be bottom 4 again this year while Saints and Adelaide look to have regressed from last year. Rounds 6-9 will give us a good indication of how we, and the younger players in the side, are really traveling this year and for our rebuild.

It's been a good start but let's be reasonable. The three teams we've beaten have won a collective total of 1 game this season. Hawks will be bottom 4 again this year while Saints and Adelaide look to have regressed from last year. Rounds 6-9 will give us a good indication of how we, and the younger players in the side, are really traveling this year and for our rebuild.
Win-loss ratios to assess opposition don't mean much until everyone has played each other once, or at least had 10 games.

St Kilda for instance only lost on the weekend from a stack of injuries and poor conversion. Adelaide have had two road trips. We can only really assume Hawthorn are terrible because...well, it's Hawthorn.

But the optimism isn't really based around getting early wins. More so that the two less heralded cohorts of players - the 18 to 23s and 24-28s, have been more than useful overall. Remember how many years we complained that the 21-26 year old role players simply weren't stepping up to support Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield? I don't feel that's the case so far. And our youngsters are giving us more to be excited about than the 18-23 year olds of time periods like 2015-2019 - I feel so, anyway.

The coaches and Board MVP votes reflect this. Yes, the veterans are playing well but there's an even contribution and that includes players yet to enter their peak, or ones that are just starting to.

Win-loss ratios to assess opposition don't mean much until everyone has played each other once, or at least had 10 games.

St Kilda for instance only lost on the weekend from a stack of injuries and poor conversion. Adelaide have had two road trips. We can only really assume Hawthorn are terrible because...well, it's Hawthorn.

But the optimism isn't really based around getting early wins. More so that the two less heralded cohorts of players - the 18 to 23s and 24-28s, have been more than useful overall. Remember how many years we complained that the 21-26 year old role players simply weren't stepping up to support Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield? I don't feel that's the case so far. And our youngsters are giving us more to be excited about than the 18-23 year olds of time periods like 2015-2019 - I feel so, anyway.

The coaches and Board MVP votes reflect this. Yes, the veterans are playing well but there's an even contribution and that includes players yet to enter their peak, or ones that are just starting to.

Yeah I think the positivity is less about the results and more that I think we can lock in 5 quality long-term players in Holmes, O Henry, Bruhn, Clark and Dempsey.

There was no question about Holmes in my mind but I know there were in others and he just looks an out and out gun.

O Henry just had his most complete game and doubts around his defensive game are subsiding.

Bruhn had pretty major doubts before the season but has played his best 2 games of his career.

Nobody knew what to think of Clark but the fact we're continually playing him and he's showing glimpses shows how highly he's rated.

And plenty were hopeful on Dempsey but I don't think anyone thought he'd look so at home so soon. I reckon he could be the best of the lot.

Forget the results it's been a massive 3 weeks for seeing our youngsters step forward. And I haven't even mentioned Conway or Mullin who look much improved. Or that Miers and Stengle have shown their great seasons of 2023 and 2022 respectively weren't just one offs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back