News Home base: Caulfield

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can't convince the denizens of our heartland to get on board. We should just give up on ever getting a home base this side of the East Link
Nah they will sell up and move . If i am reading this right , it's the Race Club of Melb that initiated the re- developement and we appear to have jumped on board.

That ship sailed when we were kicked out 40 years ago.

Not just talking about the G itself. Weren't we looking at one part of the carpark to set up a homebase? Caulfield is at least closer than Casey, but it just feels like an L if we are anywhere but around the G.

Not just talking about the G itself. Weren't we looking at one part of the carpark to set up a homebase? Caulfield is at least closer than Casey, but it just feels like an L if we are anywhere but around the G.
Was never going to happen. We wanted a full sized oval and a 6 story building built on top of the train tracks. Was raised when Peter Jackson was still CEO and would have needed to convince both the state government, and local council to redevelop one of the few pieces of parkland in the city area, not to mention how expensive such a project would be. Have you seen how much s**t Richmond have gone through just to slightly expand punt road oval into their own car park?

At the same time we were floating the Gosch's paddock redevelopment in tandem with a training base there. Imo that was always what we were after and the Yarra park idea was just to soften that request. We didn't get either. The MCG and surrounding area is a pie in the sky.

We should set up in Collins Street.

Or the Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens at the very least!
Just put an oval on top of Eureka tower. Bring back high altitude training!

The best time to sort this out and put down a permanent facility was in the 60s/70s when the MCG became multi-club.

The second best time was 25 years ago, when we said no thanks to the Westpac Centre (we literally had first offer, and didn't act) and let Collingwood have it.

Now is the third best time. Would be sad to leave the G, but Caulfield race course is a 15-20 minute drive to the G on an ordinary day.

Behind Carlton at Princes, North at Arden, and Richmond + Collingwood in Richmond, we would easily have the best spot in Melbourne.

The best time to sort this out and put down a permanent facility was in the 60s/70s when the MCG became multi-club.

The second best time was 25 years ago, when we said no thanks to the Westpac Centre (we literally had first offer, and didn't act) and let Collingwood have it.

Now is the third best time. Would be sad to leave the G, but Caulfield race course is a 15-20 minute drive to the G on an ordinary day.

Behind Carlton at Princes, North at Arden, and Richmond + Collingwood in Richmond, we would easily have the best spot in Melbourne.
Beat me to it, Tulip was just about to reference how we could of had the Elite standard of training that is/Was Lexus Center!
We "Melbounred" it up hard

Demons secure backing from Caulfield Racecourse Trust to press on with new HQ talks​

Melbourne’s attempts to secure a new home look to be gaining steam, with a move to Caulfield Racecourse in play for possibly as early as 2028.Melbourne has taken a major step towards setting up a sparkling new training and administrative base at Caulfield Racecourse after securing funding for a feasibility study.

The club will ramp up assessments and plans for the site in an attempt to finally bring the club under one roof in the east of Melbourne as early as 2028.

In a significant breakthrough, the club confirmed on Tuesday it had secured backing from the Caulfield Racecourse Trust to press ahead with work on the site following a year of talks.

It means the club will zero in on the Caulfield site for its new home following multiple failed attempts to construct a new headquarters at Olympic and Yarra Parks.

Caulfield is a prime location for Melbourne, only 20 minutes drive from its home ground at the MCG.

The project has been the top priority for chief executive Gary Pert who has zeroed in on Caulfield as the ideal location for the club in daily discussions with Caulfield Racecourse Trust officials.

Melbourne has privately believed it has the worst facilities in the AFL with new setups for West Coast, Hawthorn and Carlton, in particular, leaving the Demons in their wake.

While the Demons will likely move ahead with drawings and designs next year, Melbourne could construct two training ovals on the inside of the two tracks and new buildings on the outside.

Work will continue on a connecting tunnel between the ovals and the administrative buildings and gym and medical facilities to ensure the view of the track will not be blocked to racegoers.

There are also plans to construct community facilities at Caulfield as part of a new sports hub, potentially featuring basketball and netball courts, and cycling and walking tracks.

Melbourne’s new facility would be built in partnership with the community projects to help service the sporting needs of locals.
It is unlikely Melbourne would have secured the Government support necessary to go ahead with its new headquarters without significant community upgrades in the area.

Importantly, the new base will help secure the club’s future close to the city and give its men’s and women’s teams the necessary space and facilities required to lead elite programs.

Chief executive Gary Pert said it was an exciting time for the club.

“It’s important that we deliver the best facilities and opportunities for everyone including our members and supporters,” Pert said
“The feasibility funding is an important step forward in achieving this.

“As a club, our vision is to create facilities that will all our players and coaches to compete in the toughest professional sporting competition in Australia, but at the same time provide the broader community with facilities and benefits, as a result of accessing our high-performance centre when it’s not utilised by the club.”

It is great timing for the club which is expected to release details of the project to members and stakeholders at its annual general meeting next Tuesday, pending Government approvals.

The Demons have been frustrated by the hurdles and knock backs they have faced in their attempt to move closer to the city.
Melbourne officials and players currently split their time between Gosch’s Paddock, AAMI Park, the MCG and Casey Fields, which has undergone recent upgrades to try and cater for the club’s needs.

The announcement will be warmly welcomed by players and staff who can drive up to an hour to travel from the city to Casey Fields for main training sessions.

A brilliant new home could also help support the club’s attempts to recruit players due to the proximity of the new base to the city and the elite facilities.

The club has spent almost $20 million on upgrading its facilities in recent years and share AAMI Park with Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Storm.

The club competed significant work on a new base at Yarra Park, which was rejected, and struggled to secure the space it required in car parks E and F adjoining AAMI Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'd much prefer a precinct at the G, I had a tour of the Essendon facility out at Tullamarine and it was fn impressive. We're so far behind other clubs in regards to a base its ridiculous. At least Caulfield is closer than Cranbourne. It's less than 5kms to my place in Brighton, so I'm happy with the location. Just ideally feel a precinct at the G is better(but unrealistic I know). Fingers crossed this gets up.

I don't understand how anyone can see this as a negative thing?

sure, ideally we should be located close to the MCG but we missed the boat on that, it's not going to happen.
Everything is a negative thing on here, haven't you noticed? This forum is the most relentlessly depressing place I've ever seen.

Tulip going thru his offseason positive phase I see. Will be back on the negative bus with all his friends when the season ends in disaster again next year im sure. 🤗

Not sure why anyone would be upset over some skepticism about a home base promise when the past forty odd years has looked like this.

89an92.jpg

Let me know when construction begins and I'll start to get excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back