Analysis Horace's offseason Cake & Pie Thread..

Remove this Banner Ad

Running off the popularity of the biscuit thread and on request by the great man in the Thread Title post ya favourite nannas cakes hear..

My nanna made a mean Chocolate Hedgehog cake!

Yep, Chocolate Hedgehog. Not to be missed under any circumstances.

When I was a kid, my mother reckoned that afternoon tea wasn't afternoon tea unless there were at least 5 different cakes to eat. Well iced fruit cake. as in Christmas cake, one of my favourites.
Have you ever eaten fruit cake with butter on it?

Have you ever eaten fruit cake with butter on it?

I've eaten boiled fruit cake with butter on it and it is very very nice.
Changed the Title to include pies (and pasties). We have the Bakers Hill Pie shop in WA (along the Grt Eastern Hwy) and they sell a bloody ripper Cornish Pastie - lots of pepper and plenty of filling!

Smart move. There is (or was) a bakery in Ross in Tasmania, who make sensational Cornish Pasties. Worth going over just to have one (or six).

And while Hulm's is just one of many bakeries I have frequented over the years, now that we have pies and pasties in the thread, my favourite lunch around the time when Big M was introduced, was a pie, a pastie and a strawberry Big M, acquired from Hulms.

And while Hulm's is just one of many bakeries I have frequented over the years, now that we have pies and pasties in the thread, my favourite lunch around the time when Big M was introduced, was a pie, a pastie and a strawberry Big M, acquired from Hulms.
The ol' tradesmans breakfast!
Gotta lather the Pie with sauce to so it drips off the end as you eat it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swansea bakery on the east coast of Tasmania still do fresh Sea Scallop pies. The freshest biggest scallops in a pie you are likely to see! They don't skimp on them either with 4-5 big scallops filling that pie!!

Yum!

Swansea bakery on the east coast of Tasmania still do fresh Sea Scallop pies. The freshest biggest scallops in a pie you are likely to see! They don't skimp on them either with 4-5 big scallops filling that pie!!

Yum!
What!?
I've never heard of that.. scallops in a pie?.. does sounds nice though :thumbsu:

What!?
I've never heard of that.. scallops in a pie?.. does sounds nice though :thumbsu:
Yep I'm a big cheesecake fan. The missus makes a decent Lemon version she pinched off a relie.

Scallop pies, absolutely brilliant. May be a tassie thing? Never seen them on the mainland. Quick google of scallop pie is basically all Tasmanian results.

jackman-mcross.jpg

Cheesecake wise I make a disgustingly good Oreo cheesecake.

Plum pudding and cream for me on Christmas Day and every day after that for as long as the supplies last.

Iced donuts - as long as the icing isn't runny. Strawberry icing is the best.

Lemon meringue pie too. Can't ever be too tangy.

Scallop pies, absolutely brilliant. May be a tassie thing? Never seen them on the mainland. Quick google of scallop pie is basically all Tasmanian results.

jackman-mcross.jpg

Cheesecake wise I make a disgustingly good Oreo cheesecake.

Now that's what I call a ''pie''. I've ordered pies in pubs and the food comes in the form of a pastry lid on a bowl of meat etc. That's not a pie!!!!

Now that's what I call a ''pie''. I've ordered pies in pubs and the food comes in the form of a pastry lid on a bowl of meat etc. That's not a pie!!!!
Theres some absolutely awesome pie manufacturers down in Tassie. You can find a good pie anywhere, none of that half full pastry bowl crap.

Yep I'm a big cheesecake fan. The missus makes a decent Lemon version she pinched off a relie.

Yes a nice cheesecake goes down very well. I'm just a bit partial to the baked variety and for a while last year, Mrs. Horace, made some very nice versions.

What!?

It's mind blowing. It's the only place where you get fresh locally caught scallops in hand made pastry.

When I was living down there for uni I would often go to the east coast for fishing/camping/surf trips and everytime I'd order 4 of them! Keep a couple in the fridge in a days time! They were honestly that good.

Did have a bad encounter with pies down in tassie however, Up on the nth east coast there is a little tiny town called Gladstone which pretty much only has a servo. Went in there one morning, and there was a big sign saying "fresh pies" went in with a mate, he got the slow cook chunky beef pie while I thought I'd be a bit adventurous and try the wallaby and steak pie. It was by far the most gamy fatty smelly stinking rotten pie I had even eaten. Had one bite and it was manageable but the second had a piece of meat in it (wallaby) that was so thick and rubbery it was like chewing on an old footy boot. That pie couldn't have fOund itself in a bin any quicker.

Anyway, A few weeks went by when I was talking to a fella from uni who quizzed me on my fishing/diving mission up on the nth east coast, we got talking and he asked if I got a pie from the servo (they are quite popular pies generally, my mate who I was with swears his chunky beef pie was the best he'd eaten) I said yeah and it was the worst pie I had even eaten. He asked "what'd ya get?" to whichmy reply was "the ******* wallaby and steak".....he broke out in hysterics. I couldn't figure out why.

Turns out his uncle/auntie owned the servo (his aunty freshly made the pies every 2nd day). Previously his uncle would go out and shoot fresh wallaby every couple of days for the pies
and for dog meat, and but in recent times that wasn't happening because he had lost his gun license for a number of different reasons. So, his uncle had been forced (because the wallaby pie had been so popular) to go out and get wallaby meat by other means....turns out that other means meant collecting dead wallabies from the roadside....

So the foul meat that was most likely in my pie was roadkill....

Good times.

It's mind blowing. It's the only place where you get fresh locally caught scallops in hand made pastry.

When I was living down there for uni I would often go to the east coast for fishing/camping/surf trips and everytime I'd order 4 of them! Keep a couple in the fridge in a days time! They were honestly that good.

Did have a bad encounter with pies down in tassie however, Up on the nth east coast there is a little tiny town called Gladstone which pretty much only has a servo. Went in there one morning, and there was a big sign saying "fresh pies" went in with a mate, he got the slow cook chunky beef pie while I thought I'd be a bit adventurous and try the wallaby and steak pie. It was by far the most gamy fatty smelly stinking rotten pie I had even eaten. Had one bite and it was manageable but the second had a piece of meat in it (wallaby) that was so thick and rubbery it was like chewing on an old footy boot. That pie couldn't have fOund itself in a bin any quicker.

Anyway, A few weeks went by when I was talking to a fella from uni who quizzed me on my fishing/diving mission up on the nth east coast, we got talking and he asked if I got a pie from the servo (they are quite popular pies generally, my mate who I was with swears his chunky beef pie was the best he'd eaten) I said yeah and it was the worst pie I had even eaten. He asked "what'd ya get?" to whichmy reply was "the ******* wallaby and steak".....he broke out in hysterics. I couldn't figure out why.

Turns out his uncle/auntie owned the servo (his aunty freshly made the pies every 2nd day). Previously his uncle would go out and shoot fresh wallaby every couple of days for the pies
and for dog meat, and but in recent times that wasn't happening because he had lost his gun license for a number of different reasons. So, his uncle had been forced (because the wallaby pie had been so popular) to go out and get wallaby meat by other means....turns out that other means meant collecting dead wallabies from the roadside....

So the foul meat that was most likely in my pie was roadkill....

Good times.
Haha does Mick Taylor from Wolf Creek own that petrol station in Gladstone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back