Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If Butcher can stay in form, The loss of Ryder won't be so bad.
Monfries (apart from the Prelim) had a terrible year and can be easily replaced by Neade.

Good one. Monfries was injured most of last season and kicked 40+ goals the year before, while also playing wing and defensive forward. He nearly put us into a grand final when he got his body right and is the difference between Wingard/Gray playing 70% forward and 30% forward this year IMO. He's an integral part of our set up and far superior to Neade at this point in time.

Good one. Monfries was injured most of last season and kicked 40+ goals the year before, while also playing wing and defensive forward. He nearly put us into a grand final when he got his body right and is the difference between Wingard/Gray playing 70% forward and 30% forward this year IMO. He's an integral part of our set up and far superior to Neade at this point in time.
Yeah I think Gus is a little underrated amongst our supporters, last year he was hindered by persistent injuries but the year before he was borderline AA, I'm not sure anyone can replace the role Gus played for us.

Monfries can shut down the very best rebound defenders whilst hitting the scoreboard, so far in the preseason Neade hasn't been able to do the latter consistently, Jake can create pressure but his defending isn't in the same league as Gus'.

Fwiw my post is more aimed at the guy who said he'd be 'happy' is Gus is found guilty, a fit Monfries is easily in our best 22 so that's a silly thing to say.

Last edited:

I assume ASADA reexamine previous samples once a player gives a positive test result?

Maybe I just think the worst in people but when I see Josh Thomas's body shape and hear the effects of what he tested positive to I can't help but wonder how long he's been experimenting with PED's.

Thanks for digging that up.

But read the last sentence you quoted very closely. Do sports organisations really want to do that many tests and have that many positives??
I was just pointing out that 2.9% chance is per test as I read your post as saying it was 2.9% chance of being caught full stop. The chance obviously goes up the more tests that are done and test are no longer the only weapon in WADA's arsenal.

Of course there are more players doping than what are being caught but I refuse to believe that it's the 'norm' in the AFL. If that makes me naive then so be it.

I was just pointing out that 2.9% chance is per test as I read your post as saying it was 2.9% chance of being caught full stop. The chance obviously goes up the more tests that are done and test are no longer the only weapon in WADA's arsenal.

Of course there are more players doping than what are being caught but I refuse to believe that it's the 'norm' in the AFL. If that makes me naive then so be it.
Why do refuse to believe? Im not saying you have to think like I do, but why do you have a completely closed mind? What are you scared of?

If the players get say 6 weeks (as media is speculating), would there be any room to bargain for the weeks to be taken sporadically over the season, or on some sort of rotation system? I'd be happy for Paddy and Gus to take their weeks spread out over the course of 22 games. It's the least the AFL and ASADA can do for taking so long :rolleyes:

382.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back