how bad is free to air television, how much do you watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
last night my internet connection went down for roughly 3 hours, i started channel surfing free to air tv and it made me realize how poor the content is. i have gradually drifted away from FTA, it is full of reality shows, poor quality news/current affairs programs/re runs and commercial breaks that seem to go on and on. is it only me, but i can't understand the fascination with wanting to watch people cook. i haven't watched free to air news for a while now 7, 9 and 10 all seemed to have the same stories in the same order. (i thought they were independent of each other like the fuel companieso_O
the only shows i watch semi regularly on FTA are catalyst, australian story and ABC2 with the 3 grand kids of course. i have foxtel but purely for the sport, even watch very little of that out of AFL season and the occasional doco.

i am a 56 year old male who up untlll about a year ago was in blissful ignorance of technology/improved delivery of entertainment and was happy wallowing in the FTA world.

I usually don't watch TV unless it's sport or M*A*S*H but I will admit that TBL Families was a guilty pleasure (Tony Jofre!). It's easier just to write my own or go for a walk.

I've found a lot of my generation hardly watch TV at all these days. TV won't be around as we know it in 5-10 years and it's downfall is well under way. The TV programs that we do usually watch are almost exclusively AAA pay to watch series from HBO etc... Me personally, since I'm a poorby, I usually torrent a series or stuck with Free TV. I usually watch about 1-2 hours of TV a week (outside Lions game day) and it's exclusively SBS science or travel shows being a science geek I am.

I watch near zero FTA... basically my TV watching is downloads and sport. Living in SA the lions tend to be on TV FTA maybe 3-4 times a year. 1) Crows v Lions 2) Port v Lions 3) Lions thursday night match.

Basically I watch TV for good TV drama or sports and usually you cant get either with FTA unless I like Cop dramas and the local sports team

In 2016 ill be paying for foxtel even though I think it is a rip off... guess the system has beat me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back