Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Dewah, just because you don't like Lamb doesn't mean you need to disregard every post where Lamb is mentioned and say that he's crap. Trained with us earlier in the year in a scorching hot week so obviously the club knows him very well, and he has a family connection with his grandad Ian Cooper quite possibly best afield in our '66 win. It seemed the club did like him a fair bit and from media reports it was us, Carlton and Essendon in the late first round who were interested, so what TLE said DOES seem to have some substance to it, and I believe it too, we probably would've taken one of Lamb/Neal-Bullen along with McKenzie is Carlton didn't take Blowjob or whatever his name is.

Well I tend to have opinions on certain players that I have seem over and over for school and tac, I don't think you go to tac which is fine (and I think u had lamb going to us in your mock) but if you do you get to see the players a lot more and see how they play. I for one normally make my opinion up quick and won't change it so meh, we also btw had Capiron train with us who didn't even get picked up even though he was a top 30 prospect by km at the time. Also I think the club doesn't not give a sh// about who his grandfather was, if it was his dad and he played 100 games that may be different

Lamb may be a 'taller player' as you say, but he doesn't play like it. Only 4 contested marks in 12 games and relies on handball receives when his teammates takes marks for him to get the ball.

Yes I realise he doesn't play like a true 193cm guy I'm just telling you what I've been told. We were after a couple of taller blokes with our first 2-3 picks and Lamb was in that conversation.

As I've said before, I see Lamb being a larger midfielder, as do many clubs that were considering to draft him. I am aware you don't rate him in any capacity, being midfield, KPP, third tall/flanker as you've been against the bloke from day dot having a negative opinion when he is the subject everytime his name is mentioned!

Dewah, just because you don't like Lamb doesn't mean you need to disregard every post where Lamb is mentioned and say that he's crap. Trained with us earlier in the year in a scorching hot week so obviously the club knows him very well, and he has a family connection with his grandad Ian Cooper quite possibly best afield in our '66 win. It seemed the club did like him a fair bit and from media reports it was us, Carlton and Essendon in the late first round who were interested, so what TLE said DOES seem to have some substance to it, and I believe it too, we probably would've taken one of Lamb/Neal-Bullen along with McKenzie is Carlton didn't take Boekhorst, Goddard was just too good to pass up.

Thanks. Beat me to the punch with a few of those comments!

Yes I realise he doesn't play like a true 193cm guy I'm just telling you what I've been told. We were after a couple of taller blokes with our first 2-3 picks and Lamb was in that conversation.

As I've said before, I see Lamb being a larger midfielder, as do many clubs that were considering to draft him. I am aware you don't rate him in any capacity, being midfield, KPP, third tall/flanker as you've been against the bloke from day dot having a negative opinion when he is the subject everytime his name is mentioned!

Would they have gone Laverde over dMac?

Or how high up was dMac on our board

I'm not sure this is the best way to operate.
Never said it was, just the way I am, it's a bit like the people who watch a 3minutes highlight video on dMac and make up their mind, we all just have to hope and pray

FWIW, I see Hugh Goddard as a Jake Carlisle clone. Pretty sure he was drafted at 24 with similar height initially before growing to 200cm.

Both are very athletic, good users of the footy. Can clunk a mark - and no one could argue Carlisle is massively aggressive player either, unless he's in good form, he gets rather soft when he's lost a bit of confidence (as shown early in the season just gone past).

If Goddard can reach that type of level, I will be absolutely stoked - as I see McCartin being better than Joe Daniher when it's all said and done. (Daniher's legs are disproportionately long relative to his body, meaning his centre of gravity is significantly higher than what would be normal, meaning he's more easily pushed off the ball. I'd say the reverse is true for Paddy.)

Looks like a really good KPP draft on paper so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't heard that, but I know I was desperate for Laverde once I was told he could seriously make it as far as our 2nd.

I must admit I would have been far more excited about getting him than McKenzie but that's essentially based off the hype surrounding him. His highlights package is also nice, as is McKenzies. But Laverde (as does McKenzie) fits into that category of low-production mids/flankers that seem to dominate the top end of this years draft. De Goey, Ahern, Weller, Pickett, Garlett, Laverde and McKenzie just haven't shown a propensity to consistently get 20+ touches a game. Another reason to grab a couple of quality KPP's in this draft.

FWIW, I see Hugh Goddard as a Jake Carlisle clone. Pretty sure he was drafted at 24 with similar height initially before growing to 200cm.

Both are very athletic, good users of the footy. Can clunk a mark - and no one could argue Carlisle is massively aggressive player either, unless he's in good form, he gets rather soft when he's lost a bit of confidence (as shown early in the season just gone past).

If Goddard can reach that type of level, I will be absolutely stoked - as I see McCartin being better than Joe Daniher when it's all said and done. (Daniher's legs are disproportionately long relative to his body, meaning his centre of gravity is significantly higher than what would be normal, meaning he's more easily pushed off the ball. I'd say the reverse is true for Paddy.)

Looks like a really good KPP draft on paper so far.
322122-fdd53d86-e70f-11e3-ba62-a129b4e220c3.jpg

767872-a61169ee-0f32-11e4-ae81-95568c4ed36e.jpg

Both 200cm, both have disproportionately long legs and a very high centre of gravity, both have ordinary strength in a contest as a result. Daniher much more talented, but I'm not entirely sure what people see in him insofar as the next 'super forward'... He IS very young still though.

Daniher will be an absolute star. Takes the footy at the highest point and at 200cms makes it near on impossible for defenders to defend. Also very agile and can play 10cms shorter than he is. The only query is his kicking at goal.

Daniher will be an absolute star. Takes the footy at the highest point and at 200cms makes it near on impossible for defenders to defend. Also very agile and can play 10cms shorter than he is. The only query is his kicking at goal.
Which, when you're a forward, is a serious issue. His field kicking can be deplorable too. I don't think he'll ever be a major contested marking threat - in the wrestling sense - much like our own long-limbed forward, big Spencer White.

If I was to pick a player comparison for Goddard, Carlisle wouldn't be the first that came to mind. It's probably helped by the fact they're both left-footers, but I'd definitely be looking at this bloke:

293700-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Classy, smooth-moving, and a great intercept mark despite being a defender first and foremost. A neat kick without being absolutely elite and a threat when shifted forward.

Uncle, I can't disagree with you anymore with regards to Daniher, we clearly share opposite views on the guy. But I do agree with you on the Taylor and Goddard comparison. Goddard in a recent interview said he models his gam on Taylor and watching his highlights package they share similar attributes. I like Goddards disposal more though. He has a deadly raking left foot. Its a clear weapon. Whereas Taylor's kick is a little loopy.

FWIW - off-topic as it may be - and this may not be popular, I see a lot of Michael Hurley in big Paddy McCartin

I'm disagreeing with you a bit tonight. Not intentionally.

Hurley is suited more as a third tall IMO and when played forward wins more footy on the lead by getting separation from his opponent. McCartin is also nice on the lead but wins a lot of footy in a contested marking situation. Just look at his TAC stats over the past two seasons. He's a contested marking beast similarly to J Brown, which is a better comparison IMO. I also think once McCartin hits 21 he will be 196cm plus tall. Nothing to base that on though, just hope (not that theres anything wrong with 194cm which is fine)!

Uncle, I can't disagree with you anymore with regards to Daniher, we clearly share opposite views on the guy. But I do agree with you on the Taylor and Goddard comparison. Goddard in a recent interview said he models his gam on Taylor and watching his highlights package they share similar attributes. I like Goddards disposal more though. He has a deadly raking left foot. Its a clear weapon. Whereas Taylor's kick is a little loopy.
Watching a bit of Goddard, he's capable of some absolute shanks, particularly on the short kicks.

Seems almost laconic in his kicking style, but maybe it's a case of not kicking through the pill.

As for Daniher, no dramas, it's not that I think he's no good - far from it - but I think a lot of people are going off half-cocked about the kid; let's see a little development first.

I'm disagreeing with you a bit tonight. Not intentionally.

Hurley is suited more as a third tall IMO and when played forward wins more footy on the lead by getting separation from his opponent. McCartin is also nice on the lead but wins a lot of footy is a contested marking situation. Just look at his TAC stats over the past two seasons. He's a contested marking beast similarly to J Brown, which is a better comparison IMO. I also think once McCartin hits 21 he will be 196cm plus tall. Nothing to base that on though, just hope (not that theres anything wrong with 194cm which is fine)!
I agree wholeheartedly actually. The Hurley comparison was more to do with the strength through the core and (relative) lack of height at this stage. Hurley's also got very good burst speed and is quite decent below his knees.

Fair bit of a worse bloke than Paddy but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back