Unofficial Preview Hurtin for Curtin vs Lurcher for McKercher vs Heard Ya! It’s Duursma!

1st Pick

• Curtin

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • McKercher

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Duursma

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 23 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warming to McKercher. I think with Hewett, Ginbey and Culley very inside dominant.. McKercher is exactly the inside outside goal kicking accumulator that we need, a really good fit.

How's his tackling and marking?

The worry is we only get 4 years out of him.

He sounds like the loyal type who commits to a group.

Plus its themedia driving the go home factor. Not Tassie kids. Once they leave if they are well paid and enjoying success most will stay IMO. Similar to WA talent moving to Melbourne and staying.

He sounds like the loyal type who commits to a group.

Plus its themedia driving the go home factor. Not Tassie kids. Once they leave if they are well paid and enjoying success most will stay IMO. Similar to WA talent moving to Melbourne and staying.

I think this will be true in years to come, it's just that initial team that worries me. I reckon there'll be some obscene offers to bring any good Tassie boys home to join the inaugural team, likely facilitated by the AFL. It also remains to be seen what kind of compensation we'd get for losing him.

I think this will be true in years to come, it's just that initial team that worries me. I reckon there'll be some obscene offers to bring any good Tassie boys home to join the inaugural team, likely facilitated by the AFL. It also remains to be seen what kind of compensation we'd get for losing him.
Band 1 compo, so pick 2 hopefully

You think we'll be winning the spoon that year?
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

As someone from another teams recruiting team, just pick McKercher. He picks himself ffs.

30 odd disposals, a few clearances, speed from the contest, always moving, good tackler and mark for his size (not amazing) and weights his kicks very, very well. Also in weaker teams shows leadership around setups and runs the play, sizes up his surroundings exceptionally and is great at getting forward for a goal on the run and steadies quite well before the kick. His speed is good, not exceptional but looks faster than he is as he's always on the move.

Weaknesses. Size at AFL level (really not an issue with our young beefcakes inside), is very one sided with his kicking and doesn't have amazing kicking depth.

Take a KPP later in the draft. Hopefully Murphy is there with the clubs second pick.

Most people liken him to Zac Merrett but he also has some Ben cousins like traits with his movement at stoppage, gut running and ability to finish.

He's probably the 5th-6th most talented guy in this years draft but he's the safest to become a top 2 player from the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone from another teams recruiting team, just pick McKercher. He picks himself ffs.

30 odd disposals, a few clearances, speed from the contest, always moving, good tackler and mark for his size (not amazing) and weights his kicks very, very well. Also in weaker teams shows leadership around setups and runs the play, sizes up his surroundings exceptionally and is great at getting forward for a goal on the run and steadies quite well before the kick. His speed is good, not exceptional but looks faster than he is as he's always on the move.

Weaknesses. Size at AFL level (really not an issue with our young beefcakes inside), is very one sided with his kicking and doesn't have amazing kicking depth.

Take a KPP later in the draft. Hopefully Murphy is there with the clubs second pick.

Most people liken him to Zac Merrett but he also has some Ben cousins like traits with his movement at stoppage, gut running and ability to finish.

He's probably the 5th-6th most talented guy in this years draft but he's the safest to become a top 2 player from the draft.
I think the big concern on him is the Tassie new team go home factor, which nobody can quantify due to the many associated uncertainties. If he does go back that will set our club back because it’ll happen at a time when we’re expecting to be moving in to finals contention.

There will be so much pressure on Mckercher to join Tasmania, it will be insane.

AFL will throw money, sponsorship and endorsements at him. The whole state will be on his back.

I honestly can't see him not leaving the club he's drafted at.

There will be so much pressure on Mckercher to join Tasmania, it will be insane.

AFL will throw money, sponsorship and endorsements at him. The whole state will be on his back.

Unless he's a slow burn and hasn't broken out yet. That is probably a worse scenario though

What do you think we'll do?

Because I agree, but the vibe seems too strong that we're locked in on Curtin.

And that being the case, can you help me understand what the big deal is over Curtin? I'm gonna re-post this query for a third time:

What on earth is it about Curtin? Everyone mentions versatility, but it seems like he's shown little as a forward and I very much doubt midfield is actually a viable option. At the same time, doesn't look like a true KPD -- athletically he plays smaller, moves with a low centre of gravity, doesn't have a particularly physical presence defensively or appear that adept in contested marking situations.

I can see the obvious strengths - footskills, in general a real sureness with ball in hand and accumulation. But if we're paying pick 2 I'd want someone who projects to be elite as a genuine stopper or intercept marker; and I worry that with Curtin you're instead buying a neat, reliable utility/distributor.

On balance , I struggle to see the case for preferring him to McKercher.

It seems especially odd when there looks to be plenty of viable KPD/intercept defender options later in the draft (eg possibly Murphy for a tall or Hardeman for a rebound type).

What do you think we'll do?

Because I agree, but the vibe seems too strong that we're locked in on Curtin.

And that being the case, can you help me understand what the big deal is over Curtin? I'm gonna re-post this query for a third time:

What on earth is it about Curtin? Everyone mentions versatility, but it seems like he's shown little as a forward and I very much doubt midfield is actually a viable option. At the same time, doesn't look like a true KPD -- athletically he plays smaller, moves with a low centre of gravity, doesn't have a particularly physical presence defensively or appear that adept in contested marking situations.

I can see the obvious strengths - footskills, in general a real sureness with ball in hand and accumulation. But if we're paying pick 2 I'd want someone who projects to be elite as a genuine stopper or intercept marker; and I worry that with Curtin you're instead buying a neat, reliable utility/distributor.

On balance , I struggle to see the case for preferring him to McKercher.

It seems especially odd when there looks to be plenty of viable KPD/intercept defender options later in the draft (eg possibly Murphy for a tall or Hardeman for a rebound type).
This may end up being another draft where we are saved from ourselves (like 2010). North get 1 and 2 and take Reid and Curtin. We bid on Walter and then take McKercher at 4. He ends up being the reliable, high posession mid that we need, whereas Curtin stays an in-betweener (think of Logue who was also a high draft pick) and Reid is the cream on top but inconsistent.

GC pick 4 for our F1?

Trade 2 for 4 and extras.

Pick 2 plus our F2nd.

For Suns 4, 25 and F1st?

And play around with other picks from player trade to potentially balance points etc.

Suns land 4 1st round picks in Hardwicks 1st draft. And off they go.

Pick 4 still lands one of Curtin, McKercher, Duursma or Watson. We get another 2nd this year at 25 and hit the 2024 draft chasing mids with two 1st rounders, ours being a top 3 pick again.

This may end up being another draft where we are saved from ourselves (like 2010). North get 1 and 2 and take Reid and Curtin. We bid on Walter and then take McKercher at 4. He ends up being the reliable, high posession mid that we need, whereas Curtin stays an in-betweener (think of Logue who was also a high draft pick) and Reid is the cream on top but inconsistent.
Agree with this. We need some elite vanilla in the midfield right now. Not someone who could be amazing but doesn’t have a clearly defined role in our side.

Trade 2 for 4 and extras.

Pick 2 plus our F2nd.

For Suns 4, 25 and F1st?

And play around with other picks from player trade to potentially balance points etc.

Suns land 4 1st round picks in Hardwicks 1st draft. And off they go.

Pick 4 still lands one of Curtin, McKercher, Duursma or Watson. We get another 2nd this year at 25 and hit the 2024 draft chasing mids with two 1st rounders, ours being a top 3 pick again.
GC would want to get above the bid for Walter, Eagles pick 2 is an obvious target.

Tasmania may not get a team yet.

Also, half the Tasmanian population is here. They generally don’t go back. Reckon we would be alright. We will have to offer him a 7 year deal in 2026 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back