Game Day Preseason Game 1 - West Coast vs Adelaide, Sat 2/3 : It’s Melt Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE3384B5-69E0-483B-BE40-40A87D908943.gif

Following last week’s scratch match against Fremantle, we now have our first (and final) official hitout prior to R1 in a fortnight’s time. This time it’s against Adelaide at Richmond Oval, which is in SA somewhere and not Victoria

Prospects for this match look bleak especially after news filtered through that Oscar Allen would be rested/managed for this game. He joins Flynn, Brockman, Sheed, Hewett, Ginbey and Ryan as notable omissions

On the plus side Jack Darling and Jeremy McGovern come into the team after being unavailable for the Freo game

We’ve named a 26 man squad, although it’s effectively 25 as Jamaine Jones stayed in Perth to play for the Beagles

E0423CB2-D8FB-4F1A-B633-9CF1C71B9CA3.jpeg

Youngsters Harry Barnett and Tyrell Dewar have been included so hopefully we’ll get to see them play some minutes in the senior side. Dewar has had a solid preseason and looks to have improved significantly from his first year at the club

Adelaide have named a strong side, notably in attack spearheaded by Walker, Fogarty and Thilthorpe with Rankine, Rachele and Keays at their feet to provide plenty of headaches for our defenders

860F1DC9-9003-4778-B7C8-0AAB8C952B97.jpeg

Their backline is their weakest line and we’d hope to exploit that if we ignore the following:
1) Our forwardline is missing Allen, Ryan and Brockman who collectively are half of our expected starting front six and
2) On past performance, the ball isn’t likely to be in our forwardline anyway

A win is unlikely so I’m simply looking for a competitive showing that’s an improvement from last week. Our tackling pressure was fine against Fremantle but our ball movement lacked dare, skills let us down and we couldn’t defend Fremantle’s run and spread. These need to improve

This is a squad of 25 (26 if you count Jones) and there’s likely to be three players (Allen, Brockman and Ginbey) available for R1 so spots are up for grabs. Hopefully that creates some desperation as 6 players will inevitably miss out

Looking for green shoots - West Coast by 5 dandelions

FE1C76AB-D213-4421-85A5-DD5855CFD64A.gif

Green shoots is all we can ask for and expect today.

Hoping for Harley to build some confidence and get his hands on the footy more and other young players to build form.

Really interested to see what we do with second ruck, as it will indicate what we are looking at doing in 2 weeks time.

Expecting a mauling but hoping to see some semblance of a gameplan and improvement on last week. Maybe some individual performances will stand out.
Don't wish to see panic circle handballing in-close to flat footed players with nowhere to go. Would like to see some dare, some spread and run through the corridor.
Can the midfield improve the centre clearances?
I imagine we'll spend lots of time in their forward arc and rebound out of ours too easily...
Even with a depleted side, just a sign to hang my faith on..?
Yup, no injuries please...

Last edited:
Really don't know why I'm bothering going.

Gonna get absolutely flogged.

Had a vision last night we didn't kick a goal, pictured Nicks wanting to work on suring up Adelaides defence.

If we lose by 150 and get no injuries that's a win today imo.

Green shoots

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully we hang in the game for a lengthy period of time and see some improvement in ball movement and compete in clearances rather than being steam rolled.

Less than 8 goals would be nice so the sack Simmo crew don’t go into overdrive in this thread once again after a Match Sim practice match.

TBH if we are only 3-4 goals down at 3/4 time I would be stoked with that. If they fall away in the last quarter then even if it's 10 goals to none I don't mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interested to see if using less players against Freo last week will see us be competitive for longer. I dont expect to win, but if we dont get blown away in the last quater that would be a step in the right direction.

Looking at the starting 18, there are only 4-5 players with 50 games or less experience. We should be able to at least put up a competitive contest, 8 WC premiership players out there, another premiership player in Jayden Hunt and the super experienced Tim Kelly.
I believe we all should be expecting and getting a good performance from these professional AFL footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back