Game Day Preseason Scrimmage -West Coast v Fremantle, Sat 24/2 : Let the melts begin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to temper expectations a bit. Our players look great through preseason, training, match sims and intraclubs. But they are only playing against each other. Even crap teams like North look good playing against us. So it's no surprise that the scrimmage against Freo went the way that it did. I think we're trending in the right direction though.

Reid has been labelled the next Leigh Matthews.
Nothing I saw in the scratchie makes me doubt the accuracy of that comparison.

Tony Micale famously said "have a good look at him guys, because we’ll never see him again" after Judd played his one and only WAFL game before his debut. We won't even get to see that much of Harley at WAFL level.
Haha, true.
I wonder how many people wrote off Leigh Matthews after he had a 1 possession debut game...

If you are a Freo supporter this year, you are in for some really entertaining reading round these parts. Judging by the 40 pages of hissy fits and filth flinging over a pre-season match sim, things are gonna get saucy. We are already slamming our Golden Boy once in a generation player for not racking up 30.
I imagine they have a number of our threads stickied on their board for lols

We lost to a team that won 10 games by a goal less than the reigning premiers lost to a team that won 3.

We put up over 20 scoring shots.

Don’t get me wrong, some of the concerns of the past were clearly still there (kick ins, ground ball) but it’s not even a pre-season game. It’s a scratch match. Some of the hyperbole in this thread…

We lost to them by 80 in 2018 preseason. You campaigners know what happened next

Yes 21 scoring shots is not bad.

On normal days we are fairly accurate and could have 13.8 and that's a semi competitive score in modern footy

clutching.at.straws

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s even better because if we only kick 8 points then they probably kick 6 less goals. They were just walking it out from their kick ins, and the issue got compounded by us kicking so many points.

Part of me hopes that we have a better plan for kick ins (ours and oppos) for the actual season. But most of me knows that is a lie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked one thing about Reid's first outing a lot.

Yes, objectively speaking he had a dog of a game, he made some blues and had minimal impact.

But the mentality which says 'I'm going to try to take my first ever kick in by running the ball from the goal square to the 50m line and demand my teammates present', 'I don't care if I've already been caught trying to fight through tackles, I'm stilll going to try to take on the opposition rather than just the jam the ball on my boot and make it someone else's problem' is a great mentality for a first gamer to have- most guys in that situation will start playing it safe, he absolutely didn't.

You can train pretty much every other football attribute, but innate self confidence and arrogance is often the difference between a good player and a genuine superstar, particularly if they maintain their self belief even when they * up.

With that in mind I'm fascinated to see how he fronts up against Adelaide- even if he gets caught in front of goals in the first 5 minutes I'm hoping we see the exact same undiminished FIGJAM approach again.

Last edited:
Just watching the game again and the only problem I see is a team that hasn't played together long enough.
After a few years of playing together and a solid backline we will be fine.
Freo are a team that is now gelling together. They kick it to space knowing someone will be on to it.

We lost to a team that won 10 games by a goal less than the reigning premiers lost to a team that won 3.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Did Lethal have “big arms” when he debuted?
Wasn't until Lethal managed to fend off the long arm of the law, (see Neville Bruns incident), that this metric became important in relation to midfield potential.

*suspect AFL house have secretly banned publication of these measurements because they want to keep offended knuckle draggers at arm's length

Need to temper expectations a bit. Our players look great through preseason, training, match sims and intraclubs. But they are only playing against each other. Even crap teams like North look good playing against us. So it's no surprise that the scrimmage against Freo went the way that it did. I think we're trending in the right direction though.
This is why Harley was caught holding the ball and the fend offs didn’t work, because other teams tackle.
We guard space and wave our hands in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back