HomerJayS

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In the English Premier League, and other major soccer leagues, many young players contracted to clubs don't make the final squad and would languish in under age comps, or play in minor comps. Many of these players are loaned to other clubs, often they are short term, from a month to half season but sometimes a full season. The only proviso is that a loaned player can't play against his owner club.

How would you feel about The AFL allowing loans? In particular, would you want to see a player such a TOB or Shem go out on loan to say Essendon and get a few games experience at AFL level, as opposed to running around in the VFL?

This could also help clubs that occasionally are ravaged by injury during a season. Loans can also be done for senior players too and can allow for the loanee to return to his parent club if needed, but I think this may be contract specific.

Any thoughts?

I think it would be a bad idea, clubs have big enough lists as it is what value to a club to give games to an opponents developing player ahead of their own

No need I don't think. EPL clubs have more opportunities to give games to young loaned players through FA cup, league cups and the like. such opportunity is limited in the AFL season of just 22 games

perhaps you should tell them how it should be spelled? lil giggle..

Technically, spelt is an acceptable variant of spelled. In no version of English is hyperthetical in any way correct.

Technically, spelt is an acceptable variant of spelled. In no version of English is hyperthetical in any way correct.

^Technically true. "Spelled" or "spelt" are both acceptable, same as "spilled" or "spilt"

The grammar I believe is slightly complicated as to whether it's tied to the object or subject of the sentence, i.e.

"I spelled the word incorrectly"
"The word was spelt incorrectly"

I think this is technically the correct usage of the variations, but both are acceptable in either usage since the rules of grammar are quite lax in modern english.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't work at the AFL due to there really only being one top level comp. An AFL club will not help a direct opponent, even if that player can't play against them.The reason it works well in football (soccer) is that there a so many teams, and so many leagues for them to go to. While some EPL clubs loan to other EPL clubs, the vast majority go to other divisions or leagues. This allows them to still play first team football, albeit at a slightly lower standard. If you don't play in the first team, you play a game sometimes midweek at a training ground with 3 men and a dog watching. It doesn't provided enough experience really. With the VFL, all of our players (well most) still play first team football for their VFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back