Hyundai A-League 2015/16: General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality McGowan is the only one who should've made it. Everyone else has been great but have spent time away through injury.

You'd think that McGowan, Isaias and Galekovic may have at a minimum got a bench spot. Although there has been support for Sorensen on this board in relation to his saves, I think looking at the overall goalkeeping numbers you can make a strong case for Galekovic, especially ahead of Birighitti.

Games Played (Minutes)
Galekovic: 21 (1,890)
Birighitti: 26 (2,329)
Sorensen: 29 (2,565)

Goals Conceded (Minutes per Goal Conceded)
Galekovic: 13 (145.4)
Birighitti: 40 (58.2)
Sorensen: 48 (53.4)

Clean Sheets
Galekovic: 12
Birighitti: 3
Sorensen: 5

Saves (Saves per 90 mins)
Galekovic: 57 (2.7)
Birighitti: 98 (3.8)
Sorensen: 103 (3.6)

Shots saved %
Galekovic: 81.4%
Birighitti: 71.0%
Sorensen: 68.2%

Catches/Punches
Galekovic: 21/18
Birighitti: 28/12
Sorensen: 54/9

Will be a "jet" of a player

Another example of brain fart Aloisi. Kid much better player than Hervas and Lustica
He barely got a look in this year after being very impressive. JA is a shot duck.

You'd think that McGowan, Isaias and Galekovic may have at a minimum got a bench spot. Although there has been support for Sorensen on this board in relation to his saves, I think looking at the overall goalkeeping numbers you can make a strong case for Galekovic, especially ahead of Birighitti.

Games Played (Minutes)
Galekovic: 21 (1,890)
Birighitti: 26 (2,329)
Sorensen: 29 (2,565)

Goals Conceded (Minutes per Goal Conceded)
Galekovic: 13 (145.4)
Birighitti: 40 (58.2)
Sorensen: 48 (53.4)

Clean Sheets
Galekovic: 12
Birighitti: 3
Sorensen: 5

Saves (Saves per 90 mins)
Galekovic: 57 (2.7)
Birighitti: 98 (3.8)
Sorensen: 103 (3.6)

Shots saved %
Galekovic: 81.4%
Birighitti: 71.0%
Sorensen: 68.2%

Catches/Punches
Galekovic: 21/18
Birighitti: 28/12
Sorensen: 54/9
Again, I think it's credit to our defence. Galekovic is usually a busy keeper most seasons but this season he was way down. Look at our 13 clean sheets and that's why. He just hasn't been as busy this season and that comes down to our back 4 IMO.

I'm generally reluctant to try and "break news", cos I never know how trustworthy the mail I get is (and cos I don't pretend to be a journalist, nor do I pretend to have great connections in Melbourne).

But I guess I'll know within about 10 hours if there's anything to this little whisper, so I thought I might as well go with it.

As we've heard today, Gallop and Cahill broke bread after the Socceroos game last night, and we've already heard that City are trying to sign him.

We'd also heard a few days ago that the A League fixture for next season is due to be announced tomorrow (Thursday).

Anyway - the whisper I've heard tonight is that the fixture release is going to be delayed. Apparently the draw is being re-jigged to get City some more "premium" Friday and Saturday night games early in the season, and the FFA are confident that if the draw release is delayed until early next week they may be in a position to announce Cahill's signing.

Again, I don't know how good this mail is - its one of those "friend of a friend" things - so please don't be too harsh if it turns out to be wrong! As I say though, if they announce a delay to the fixture release tomorrow, perhaps we'll know why.

Why on earth would City sign Cahill when they have Fornaroli? These rumours of him going to City have astounded me. They both can't start in the same team. It makes no sense to me. Cahill is a central striker and nothing else, just like Fornaroli.

Why on earth would City sign Cahill when they have Fornaroli? These rumours of him going to City have astounded me. They both can't start in the same team. It makes no sense to me. Cahill is a central striker and nothing else, just like Fornaroli.

Well, my immediate thought was exactly the same. And they've been so steadfast in their dealings with Fornaroli, I don't see them backflipping and letting him go.

But Cahill's days as an attacking mid are long since gone, so there's no way that he's a replacement for Mooy.

I'm with you mate, I can't figure out how he fits into this side, unless we end up with another of those Jardel/Romario type scenarios where the board/owner/management bring a player in and tell the coach they need to use him. I guess they could look at a 4-4-2 diamond - it probably works with their squad - but I guess the other problem with that is that I don't believe they even have 4 A League standard defenders at the moment!

I just can't see it working. You look at every other side in the A-League from last season and they had a main striker in the side up-front. Djite, Maclaren, O'Donovan, Fornaroli, Berisha, Trifunovic, Keogh, Simon/Smeltz/Blackwood, Krishna (false 9 when Krishna injured), Bridge/Piovaccari/Santalab.

Fornaroli won't be shifted wide and Cahill won't be playing in AM. Seems illogical and just dumb.

Its all about getting people through the gates for mine

I hope Cahill comes to the A-League. Will be great to see him as the second best players in the league behind Castro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well... the draw is coming out in about an hour, which would suggest the mail I got was quite s**t!

Apologies all... this is why I don't try and break news! Don't worry - I won't be doing it again!

Just a quick look over the fixture. I'm always interested in the spread of Friday night games as they're FTA. Normally it's a pretty even spread. But this year it's not so even.
First number is games hosted second is games away.

Adelaide hosting 4, away in 3.
Brisbane 4/5
Victory 2/1
City 4/4
Wellington 0/0
WSW 2/3
Sydney 4/2
Newcastle 3/1
CCM 0/1
Perth 0/3

Poor old Wellington get none at all. Perth (obvious time difference) and CCM hosting none. Surprising that Victory only involved in 3 and hosting 2, as with WSW involved in 5 and hosting 2. I wonder if this has anything to do with the crowd issues during last season.

Just a quick look over the fixture. I'm always interested in the spread of Friday night games as they're FTA. Normally it's a pretty even spread. But this year it's not so even.
First number is games hosted second is games away.

Adelaide hosting 4, away in 3.
Brisbane 4/5
Victory 2/1
City 4/4
Wellington 0/0
WSW 2/3
Sydney 4/2
Newcastle 3/1
CCM 0/1
Perth 0/3

Poor old Wellington get none at all. Perth (obvious time difference) and CCM hosting none. Surprising that Victory only involved in 3 and hosting 2, as with WSW involved in 5 and hosting 2. I wonder if this has anything to do with the crowd issues during last season.

Fox still retain the better game of the round, usually Sat night.

Well, my immediate thought was exactly the same. And they've been so steadfast in their dealings with Fornaroli, I don't see them backflipping and letting him go.

But Cahill's days as an attacking mid are long since gone, so there's no way that he's a replacement for Mooy.

I'm with you mate, I can't figure out how he fits into this side, unless we end up with another of those Jardel/Romario type scenarios where the board/owner/management bring a player in and tell the coach they need to use him. I guess they could look at a 4-4-2 diamond - it probably works with their squad - but I guess the other problem with that is that I don't believe they even have 4 A League standard defenders at the moment!
Novillo will leave and we'll play a diamond.

Anyone heard anything re: defensive targets for City?

There's the mystery "big signing" that's apparently already done.

If Fornaroli is one marquee, and Cahill is the guest player, I reckon there's a strong chance that the CFG might've jagged a big name defender.

There's the mystery "big signing" that's apparently already done.

If Fornaroli is one marquee, and Cahill is the guest player, I reckon there's a strong chance that the CFG might've jagged a big name defender.
Yeah "second marquee" is done but no idea who. Interesting stuff. Certainly needing reinforcements considering Garuccio. Wilkinson, Zullo, Hughes, Kisnorbo all gone.

I wonder if there's more than 0% chance that it could be Pirlo? I dare say he'd get more people through the gate than even Cahill would. I don't even have Italian heritage and I'd be more interested in Pirlo.

Especially if they're going to end up playing a 4-man diamond midfield, you couldn't possibly hope for a better player than Pirlo anchoring it, even at his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back