Illnesses and Maladies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Hawks!
I'm sure there are many of us who have had chicken pox, measles and mumps as kids. Has anyone had a more exotic illness, broken a bone or required medical treatment for something strange?

Mines not exactly strange but this morning I was diagnosed with shingles!

Off work until atleast Monday, so I look forward to hearing your stories.

remember years ago Shingles was a condition for 'old' people - now a much younger generation suffers Shingles.

All the best Russ - have been told it is extremely 'itchy'.:eek:

If thats the case, best that 24 and Dash best go for a checkup with their GP ;)

remember years ago Shingles was a condition for 'old' people - now a much younger generation suffers Shingles.

All the best Russ - have been told it is extremely 'itchy'.:eek:
Or in HJ case......he scratch's certain areas for other reason's......well he tells me hes scratching.....

Just got over shingles myself, rd; get well soon.

My siblings both had scarlet fever when I was about 10 (making them 8 and 6).

I'm lucky in that I've never had anything vaguely exotic or serious. I've had the flu once or twice, mumps and that's about it. Never had antibiotics either. Busted the odd bone though.

Or in HJ case......he scratch's certain areas for other reason's......well he tells me hes scratching.....

The only time I scratch Dash is when I leave your place. Bloody fleas and god knows what coming from that caravan.... :eek: ;)

I'm lucky in that I've never had anything vaguely exotic or serious. I've had the flu once or twice, mumps and that's about it. Never had antibiotics either. Busted the odd bone though.

I'm sure you have mate, I'm sure you have......

Back on topic - noticed old mate Nev Bartos posting that the 'Bullies had swine flu.

Do you reckon the flu this year was as deadly or moreso than when we had the panic but they just put the shutters down and hoped no one would notice?

I had it really bad, as did the missus who never gets it, but a good friend of my niece got it, got into her kidneys and was dead inside a week.

The poor girl was only 28 years old and quite fit.

Nah, been to doctor like 6 times in 25 years... including last year for some sort of physical for life insurance. If I have had antibiotics it would have been when I was a tacker. My father-in-law's a doctor, so I get plenty of informal, 'pop this for your back'. Or, 'I'll take a look in your ears now' etc.

My mum had some odd views, she eschewed anything she classified as 'unnecessary medical'. Back in the 80s when everyone lined up at schools for TB shots, she wrote vehement letters to the principal saying we were druids and vaccinations were against our beliefs. You get the picture.

I lived in London a decade ago during a measles outbreak around Brixton that was caused by parents refusing MMR for their children based on fears of autism.

And I see Whooping cough is back.

TAITA, I suspect that fewer people died from H1N1 in Australia than during a regular flu season. Precautions and vaccination? Not sure. But from my end a bastard of a thing to administer with referrers.

Nah, been to doctor like 6 times in 25 years... including last year for some sort of physical for life insurance. If I have had antibiotics it would have been when I was a tacker. My father-in-law's a doctor, so I get plenty of informal, 'pop this for your back'. Or, 'I'll take a look in your ears now' etc.

My mum had some odd views, she eschewed anything she classified as 'unnecessary medical'. Back in the 80s when everyone lined up at schools for TB shots, she wrote vehement letters to the principal saying we were druids and vaccinations were against our beliefs. You get the picture.

No;)

I'm sure you have mate, I'm sure you have......

Back on topic - noticed old mate Nev Bartos posting that the 'Bullies had swine flu.

Do you reckon the flu this year was as deadly or moreso than when we had the panic but they just put the shutters down and hoped no one would notice?

I had it really bad, as did the missus who never gets it, but a good friend of my niece got it, got into her kidneys and was dead inside a week.

The poor girl was only 28 years old and quite fit.

Very sorry to hear about the young girl TAITA

Re Bullies Swine Flu - I am sure I read the team they played had players out the following week due to flu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Hawks!
I'm sure there are many of us who have had chicken pox, measles and mumps as kids. Has anyone had a more exotic illness, broken a bone or required medical treatment for something strange?

Mines not exactly strange but this morning I was diagnosed with shingles!

Off work until atleast Monday, so I look forward to hearing your stories.

Sorry to hear, i had a work colleague a few years ago who came down with shingles and was in severe pain for weeks, came back to work, kept having colds and flu's after his episode of shingles, he was never the same, always taking days off, hit him really bad.
I presume most cases would be mild and with medication you will be up and about.

As for my body where do i start. Surgeries -Appendix, 4year old, Broken collarbone 10yrs old, 3rd degree rapture of the ankle 15year old, could not walk for weeks.
Fractured pelvis 18 yrs old -i was told by a club doctor Ess - Dr Bruce Reid , never to run again , didn't listen.
Septo - Rhino surgery - busted nose playing amateur footy for Ivanhoe in my 20's. I had a salivary gland taken out because it was infected........the few i can think off at the moment, i think i'm a sado-masochist......:D

My arm starting getting stiff and my leg as well. Then I lost the feeling in them, as well as my penis.
My right eyelid also became stiff and my left little finger basically stopped working properly and would become tired very easily.

My doctor told me (after 8 months of investigation) that all this was happening because I was crazy, after which time I was sent to a mental hospital.

The symptoms remain, but they're not progressing anymore. Some of them have disappeared.

My arm starting getting stiff and my leg as well. Then I lost the feeling in them, as well as my penis.
My right eyelid also became stiff and my left little finger basically stopped working properly and would become tired very easily.

My doctor told me (after 8 months of investigation) that all this was happening because I was crazy, after which time I was sent to a mental hospital.

The symptoms remain, but they're not progressing anymore. Some of them have disappeared.

If that's all true, and I have no reason to doubt you, I'm just glad you've found Big Footy. It's the perfect place for people like you. And me.

If that's all true, and I have no reason to doubt you, I'm just glad you've found Big Footy. It's the perfect place for people like you. And me.

lol . . .

Unfortunately it's all too real. I still can't feel 40% of my body, but my doctor says I can, (because when i had this test, i could feel pain) it's just that I don't think I can.

I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

lol . . .

Unfortunately it's all too real. I still can't feel 40% of my body, but my doctor says I can, (because when i had this test, i could feel pain) it's just that I don't think I can.

I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

Head to the Bay, you'll see folk much worse of than your good self.

Not much illness from me. Have only had the flu a couple of times in my life and it was when I was a kid. The closest I've come to having something more serious is nearly doing my thyroid gland in after too many all-nighters and stress at the end of uni. Took me a good 6 months to get back to normal levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back