Opinion Improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Was reading posts on our upcoming final and it is interesting to see how other fans view our side, one flog nut insisted comparing our 2014 list to 2013 that apart from Buddy there had been no improvement in the players, only people like Goodes going backwards.

So made me think who has in everyone's opinion improved this year? who has been the biggest improver and yeah who went backwards, i think there has been quite a bit of obvious improvement

Was reading posts on our upcoming final and it is interesting to see how other fans view our side, one flog nut insisted comparing our 2014 list to 2013 that apart from Buddy there had been no improvement in the players, only people like Goodes going backwards.

So made me think who has in everyone's opinion improved this year? who has been the biggest improver and yeah who went backwards, i think there has been quite a bit of obvious improvement
Parker +++
McGlynn ++
Cunningham +
Tippet small -

I've included players who may have declined/improved the team overall due to either form or fitness

I didn't include players who probably aren't best 22 (Laidler) or those who are new additions (Franklin & Lloyd)

I also omitted Goodes from the declined list because his overall contribution last year to this year hasn't changed much. If anything this years output is probably an improvement.

Improved:

Parker
Bird
Cunningham
Rohan
McGlynn
Rampe
Malceski
Jetta

Declined:

Jack
Richards
ROK
Hanneberry
Shaw

If you compare the state of our list coming into last years finals, to the state of our list coming into this years finals series we're a mile ahead.

Cunningham(tons)
Lloyd(having a great year on debut)
Rampe(tons)
Rohan(tons)
Jetta(improved from 2013)
Reid(backwards)
Tippo(same)
McGlynn(tons)
Hanners ( had a great patch then got injured hard to say)
Goodes(declined rapidly)
Richards(slight decline)
Shaw(slight decline)
Parker(tons!)
Kennedy(as good as 2012)
Grundy(same)
Pyke(slight decline)
Laidler(great depth)
Jack(slight decline)
LRT (retired)
ROK ( retired)
Bird( improved)
Mitchell (same)
Mal (same)

Overall our list is looking *loads better than going into a finals series than 2013 LOL

Cunningham(tons)
Lloyd(having a great year on debut)
Rampe(tons)
Rohan(tons)
Jetta(improved from 2013)
Reid(backwards)
Tippo(same)
McGlynn(tons)
Goodes(declined rapidly)
Richards(slight decline)
Shaw(slight decline)
Parker(tons!)
Kennedy(as good as 2012)
Grundy(same)
Pyke(slight decline)
Laidler(great depth)
Jack(slight decline)
LRT (retired)
ROK ( retired)
Bird( improved)
Mitchell (same)
Mal (same)

Overall our list is looking ****loads better than going into a finals series than 2013 LOL

Pretty much exactly how I see it, although I don't think Goodes has given us much more this year overall than he did last. Also think Mal has improved a bit this year.

Parker, Bird, McGlynn, Rampe and Rohan are the big ones for me. Cunningham too but I don't feel like he's made as big a leap as the others. Rohan's last month has been sensational, before that it was looking murky. No need to discuss Parker, he's just a beast and Bird was stepping up strongly into a class inside midfielder until he got hurt. And Rampe has established himself as one of the best pure athletes we have as well as one of the most well-rounded defenders (in terms of defensive versatility and rebounding) in the league.

Hannebery I feel has played better football than last year as well. I didn't rate his 2013 season as AA level (squad but not 22), still seemed too reliant on Kennedy and Jack to get him the ball. But after the first month up until he got hurt, he was playing the best football I've ever seen from him.

Improved

Parker - expectantly and enormously
Grundy - I think he has been exceptional this year, a lot better than previous
Rohan - natural with game time and aided by the positional switch which he has embraced
Lloyd/Cunningham - by default but have become footballers of note and essentially undroppable. Both have credits in the bank which is amazing when you sit back and think about it
Rampe - high hopes for him in a few years. Still yet to play 50 and takes task like JackR
McBabe - largely positional but just an assured player now
Jetta - more rounded so will give him improved as he doing different things
Buddy - not ours last year but I think he is playing near 2008 form which is an unfair benchmark in a way. Playing with more passion and zeal than the last few years anyway.
Bird - a bit but noticeable

Declined

Shaw - injury and age
Jack - injury but disposals and kicking for goal...wtf?
Goodes - injury and age
Ted - age

Rest are the same or thereabouts. Some have excuses like Hanners that was going great then injured. JPK is just so good it is hard to improve.

More importantly I think the team itself is going better since Horse changed the game plan from the first month and they found form. Injury gods been kind overall this year so that helps as well.

For me our most improved player is mglynn. Had really elevated his game and IMO is one of the most dangerous mids in the game. Narrowly nudged Parker for most improved . I have given mglynn the gong because we all knew what Parker is capable of, he has just continued on his steep development.

In hindsight, it's amazing how far we got last year. Injuries and fatigue aside...
>Playing two ruckman in mumford and pyke
>Jesse white in 22
>Lack of pace - Rhino and Bolton still in 22 and Morton
Just much prefer the current structures and personnel of now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In hindsight, it's amazing how far we got last year. Injuries and fatigue aside...
>Playing two ruckman in mumford and pyke
>Jesse white in 22
>Lack of pace - Rhino and Bolton still in 22 and Morton
Just much prefer the current structures and personnel of now

Our forward structure in that prelim consisted of a cooked Bolton and ROK along with Jesse White :oops::eek:

Jesse White.
tumblr_lwfdhbincl1r5i1fyo1_500.png

Honestly, I can't go past Harry Cunningham for Most Improved. He's come from nowhere.

Very stiff: Luke Parker and Benny McGlynn

Honourable mention: Lloyd and Biggs. The future is in good hands.

Comparing 2014 to (2013) stats

Improved in all areas:
Bird: 21.4(18.3) disposals 3.0(2.3) marks 5.3(3.6) tackles
Cunningham 13.0(8.2) disposals 4.3(2.2) marks 2.7(1.4) tackles
Grundy 17.3(15.9) disposals 4.6(3.9) marks 2.0(1.5) tackles
Hannebery 25.6(25.3) disposals 3.3(3.3) marks 5.1(2.8) tackles
Jetta 17.6(11.8) disposals 4.4(3.3) marks 3.2(2.8) tackles
Kennedy 29.0(27.1) disposals 3.2(1.7) marks 5.7(4.9) tackles
Malceski 24.0(22.1) disposals 4.1(4.0) marks 3.1(2.1) tackles
McGlynn 20.9(13.3) disposals 4.8(3.0) marks 6.8(4.1) tackles
Mitchell 20.8(19.3) disposals 4.2(3.2) marks 5.7(4.7) tackles
Parker 25.9(21.0) disposals 4.2(3.0) marks 6.1(5.0) tackles
Rampe 16.6(13.0) disposals 4.1(2.9) marks 3.0(2.6) tackles
Rohan 9.9(5.0) disposals 2.6(2.4) marks 2.7(2.2) tackles
Shaw 21.2(13.7) disposals 4.7(3.5) marks 1.6(1.0) tackles

Smith 15.5(13.9) disposals 3.8(3.0) marks 2.6(3.1) tackles <-- less tackles this year.

Stagnant or declined:
Goodes 13.2(17.8) disposals 4.0(5.0) marks 1.4(2.1) tackles
Jack 24.3(25.2) disposals 3.4(2.1) marks 5.4(6.4) tackles
McVeigh 24.4(27.5) disposals 4.2(4.1) marks 4.7(3.5) tackles
Pyke 9.2(11.0) disposals 2.3(3.6) marks 2.6(2.1) tackles 27.6(21.8) hitouts <-- more time in the ruck so hard to judge
Reid 10.7(10.8) disposals 3.4(3.8) marks 2.5(2.4) tackles
Richards 13.8(13.8) disposals 4.8(3.9) marks 1.6(1.6) tackles
Tippett 10.2(10.8) disposals 3.6(4.4) marks 1.0(2.4) tackles

Not counting Laidler, Franklin or Lloyd.

Of the 21 counted, 13 have (according to stats) improved in all areas.
Disposals: 14 improved / 1 steady / 6 decreased
Marks: 16 improved / 1 steady / 4 decreased
Tackles: 16 improved / 1 steady / 4 decreased

Fair to say our list is performing well above last years standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back