Movie Indiana Jones 5

Remove this Banner Ad

lmao haven't watched the movie but looking at that clip what hell was one of history's greatest directors thinking?
George Lucas syndrome. Being blown away by a new piece of film-making technology and thinking it goes further than it does (Lucas with thinking 90's CGI could replace sets, Scorcese with thinking slapping on the de-aging filter literally made De Niro forty years younger).

saw it last night. my spoiler free thoughts:

A common negative point I've read is: "why did this need to happen? was this really necessary?"

Many reviews centred on that premise. That Dial of Destiny is a pointless addition to the Indiana Jones series. And obviously it is fair to hold that view, in this age of endless sequels, requels and reboots.

But for a guy like Harrison Ford, and a character like Indiana Jones, I think a final instalment to serve as a proper send off was necessary. I'm not a total hater of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - but it certainly wasn't a sendoff, or a good enough film to serve as a proxy sendoff.

Dial of Destiny, for all its faults - and there are quite a few, lets us say goodbye to a character we love and feel good about doing so. It takes Indy to a place that feels fitting for his story to end up at... Perhaps most satisfyingly of all it gets him back to punching on Nazis. There are no punches pulled in that regard. There is heaps of '* you nazi' mic drop moments, which the world really needs right now imo.

The faults are a bit of a drag, though. DoD has a really good first 40 or so minutes, and an excellent climax and ending - but almost everything in between that is a slog. After watching the story unfold, you can't help but get the sense the writers had a strong premise and a great idea for what it ultimately leads to - but the entire second act just feels like going through the motions to facilitate that, it's just things that happen in a sequence to fill the second act. Theres about 4 action sequences in the middle section, and 2 of them are pretty similar. The film's macguffin is convoluted to say the least. You almost start to lose track of exactly what it is, who has it and why certain characters want it.

The last ~25 minutes were my favourite of the entire thing. While Dial of Destiny as a whole is nowhere near the brass of Raiders and Last Crusade - its climax is. It stands right up there with the ark melting nazi faces. My jaw dropped.

And hey, a good ending can make up for basically any number of problems.Indy 5 is a good send off and I'm glad it exists. 3/5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I do agree with Bowakawa that the middle section lagged a bit. I'd recommend it though my favourite of the movies is Temple of Doom so I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it.

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I do agree with Bowakawa that the middle section lagged a bit. I'd recommend it though my favourite of the movies is Temple of Doom so I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it.
Temple of Doom was my favourite when I was a kid, and I still love it, especially the prologue in HK, with the Cantonese rendition of Anything Goes.
But as an adult I reckon it's hard to split Raiders or Last Crusade as the best one.

Temple of Doom was my favourite when I was a kid, and I still love it, especially the prologue in HK, with the Cantonese rendition of Anything Goes.
But as an adult I reckon it's hard to split Raiders or Last Crusade as the best one.

I love the dinner scene in Temple of Doom.

"Ahh.. snake surprise!"
"What's the surprise?"

Last crusade best

temple of doom second best

big gap

raiders third best. Raiders is so overrated. Indy doesnt influence the outcome. worst action scenes of the lot. Way to many plot holes.

why do I keep seeing everyone say the reviews are bad yet it has 68% critic and 89% audience with an IMDb of 7/10 that seems alright!
* critics. They hated Bullet Train which everyone I know who saw it loved and it’s one my favourite films of recent history.

The flashback and last 15 minutes were good but everything inbetween was an epic slog which took the fun out of the ending. That 90 minutes or so was just boring and error riddled.

Harrison was actually pretty good, but Mads was wasted. PWB isn't right for this sort of film. Not a fan of her in general either.

Outside of the start and finish, it's just a forgettable generic action movie. Indy movies have never been much more than adventure romps, but expected a bit more historical/puzzle stuff in this. Was just rinse and repeat.

Crusades was the perfect way to finish.

Didn't help watching the first 3 movies over the last few days.

Last edited:
I always thought the Last Cruisade was the best movie.

Didn't Indy get internal life at the end of that movie anyway?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Doesn't really need spoiler tags but incase anyone watches it for the first time, in Last Crusade,
it's mentioned by the Knight that eternal life doesn't work beyond the temple

This isn't a negative for me like it is for others.
I kinda like that Indy is more or less just caught up in the action, and that the nazis get themselves killed through arrogance and hubris.

I've never understood that criticism of Raiders. This article does a better job than me of explaining why.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back