Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

if you wanna fork out some cash i'd contact dean somerset who does some online stuff providing you can send him some photo's vids or what he wants...he's a beast on rehab...hit him up at his website

anyone have tips on overcoming shin splints ? ive tried a few things that have been advised from physios etc.. no luck.

what caused it and what did they give you to help it?
seems like no one is really sure whats causing it, they all seem to lean towards increasing volume too quickly....

they have told me to do calf raises,, which i already did for ages anyway.. ice, rest, stretch .

i bought "The Stick" to try and break down some scar tissue and get rid of a few knots.. still hasnt helped

too much volume is usually the issue but there;s still weakness somewhere...try this:

1 - "stick" your entire lower leg
2 - mobilise calves, quads and hip flexors (not static stretching, dynmaic stretching)
3 - standing glute activation squeezing your arsde as hard as you can 5 x 10secs w/ 5 secs btw each squeeze
4 - tip toe walk 2 x 20 steps each foot getting up and staying up as high as you can emphasizing the big toe (don't be balancing on your outer 3 toes)
5 - go for a run but 50% of your normal distance on GRASS, not concrete

see how that goes

are you running for footy?

seems like no one is really sure whats causing it, they all seem to lean towards increasing volume too quickly....

they have told me to do calf raises,, which i already did for ages anyway.. ice, rest, stretch .

i bought "The Stick" to try and break down some scar tissue and get rid of a few knots.. still hasnt helped
Usually caused by overpronating. So sometimes a more rigid shoe with good medial arch support is helpful. Are you running in nike free's or minimalist shoes? if so, ditch them and get something with a bigger heel-toe ratio. This will unload your calves; essentially soleus and tibialis posterior. Dry needling of tibialis posterior and soleus through your medial shin can be v helpful. As cpt kirk said - strengthen glutes etc. Also ice massage up and down tibia post running. Try and also improve your dorsiflexion.

too much volume is usually the issue but there;s still weakness somewhere...try this:

1 - "stick" your entire lower leg
2 - mobilise calves, quads and hip flexors (not static stretching, dynmaic stretching)
3 - standing glute activation squeezing your arsde as hard as you can 5 x 10secs w/ 5 secs btw each squeeze
4 - tip toe walk 2 x 20 steps each foot getting up and staying up as high as you can emphasizing the big toe (don't be balancing on your outer 3 toes)
5 - go for a run but 50% of your normal distance on GRASS, not concrete

see how that goes

are you running for footy?
yes running for footy. ill try those, thanks.

Usually caused by overpronating. So sometimes a more rigid shoe with good medial arch support is helpful. Are you running in nike free's or minimalist shoes? if so, ditch them and get something with a bigger heel-toe ratio. This will unload your calves; essentially soleus and tibialis posterior. Dry needling of tibialis posterior and soleus through your medial shin can be v helpful. As cpt kirk said - strengthen glutes etc. Also ice massage up and down tibia post running. Try and also improve your dorsiflexion.
im running in nike lunar flyknits this year, last 2 years i was running in nike free's. but i get more shinsplint pain when the footy boots come out. im getting a running assessment this week so i'll see waht they say about my running technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey mate, I have had a similar experience, gone to physios, chiros, podiatry clinics, is your pain on the inner part of your shins or the outter? If there the inner part try ice cup massage, freeze a polystyrene cup of water then cut the top
Off it and rub it on the sore spots!

Hey mate, I have had a similar experience, gone to physios, chiros, podiatry clinics, is your pain on the inner part of your shins or the outter? If there the inner part try ice cup massage, freeze a polystyrene cup of water then cut the top
Off it and rub it on the sore spots!
its on the inner part of shins, more towards the bottom.
How often would you ice it like this?
do you still have the problem ?

My 14 yo son has torn his hamstring nearly 2 weeks ago.
We iced him up for a couple of days after and kept him home from school with his leg elevated for 3 days after. (not something we would advocate normally but that was to try and get him moving for his cricket grand final).
Despite the time elapsing he is still limping. Is this normal? And is there anything we should get him doing to get over this or is it just time?

hams are a "wait and see" situation on most cases and going slower is far better then going faster in regards to recovery

you can't predict the healing time of the actual hamstring but now is also a great time to do daily glute activation stuff so it doesn't happen again

My 14 yo son has torn his hamstring nearly 2 weeks ago.
We iced him up for a couple of days after and kept him home from school with his leg elevated for 3 days after. (not something we would advocate normally but that was to try and get him moving for his cricket grand final).
Despite the time elapsing he is still limping. Is this normal? And is there anything we should get him doing to get over this or is it just time?
Depends where it is. Because teenagers bones are still growing and are not fused yet, the bone can be weaker than the muscle and instead of the muscle tearing you can get an avulsion of the ischial tuberosity of the hamstrings. Something to consider if the pain is very high up near the buttock.
Better to get him moving then stay at home resting with the leg up. Needs gentle hamstring stretching, hamstring and gluteal strengthening. A muscle is torn and undergoes a healing process with the laying down of scar tissue where the tear was. This scar tissue is not as strong at the original and never will be unless you specifically strengthen it. Plus, 2 weeks is still pretty early days.

Depends where it is. Because teenagers bones are still growing and are not fused yet, the bone can be weaker than the muscle and instead of the muscle tearing you can get an avulsion of the ischial tuberosity of the hamstrings. Something to consider if the pain is very high up near the buttock.
Better to get him moving then stay at home resting with the leg up. Needs gentle hamstring stretching, hamstring and gluteal strengthening. A muscle is torn and undergoes a healing process with the laying down of scar tissue where the tear was. This scar tissue is not as strong at the original and never will be unless you specifically strengthen it. Plus, 2 weeks is still pretty early days.
Thank you. The pain is up near the buttocks. He is moving round albeit with a limp.
Are skins/compression pants worthwhile for his footy

Any danger in running/training while still experiencing DOMS on your legs (hammies, calves)?

Getting harder to juggle gym, footy, uni and havent been to settle to a routine yet; so at times have to gym same day or day before training and still experiencing DOMS. I assume upper body DOMS is fine but worried about tearing/straining a leg muscle, so far I just havent been sprinting 100% during training just in case, in fact probably closer to running around 75% pace max. (my spot in the side is cemented anyway, so I can "Dane Swan" it at training ;) )

Any danger in running/training while still experiencing DOMS on your legs (hammies, calves)?

Getting harder to juggle gym, footy, uni and havent been to settle to a routine yet; so at times have to gym same day or day before training and still experiencing DOMS. I assume upper body DOMS is fine but worried about tearing/straining a leg muscle, so far I just havent been sprinting 100% during training just in case, in fact probably closer to running around 75% pace max. (my spot in the side is cemented anyway, so I can "Dane Swan" it at training ;) )

I am far from an expert, i am not sure whether if you have DOMS it increases your chances of injury, i would guess you are more susceptible but whether it be 5%, 20% or 50% i have no idea.

I play footy as well and have just gone to Tuesday and Thursday training. At the moment i doing Layne Norton's PHAT training, customised a little bit, but it is an upper and lower split. Power upper and lower work outs Mon/Tues. Hypertrophy upper/lower Wed/Thurs.

I would recommend training your legs the same day as footy training nights (amybe just train legs Tuesday nights), otherwise you are not giving your body any time to recover and then you will definitely cause injury.

no risk but training should supplement footy not the other way around so sprint faster and train 'less" intense

and probably train legs tue/thu as suggested but it depends how you actually do it...i train legs in some capacity most days of the week bu that wil change come next week before round 1

I am far from an expert, i am not sure whether if you have DOMS it increases your chances of injury, i would guess you are more susceptible but whether it be 5%, 20% or 50% i have no idea.

I play footy as well and have just gone to Tuesday and Thursday training. At the moment i doing Layne Norton's PHAT training, customised a little bit, but it is an upper and lower split. Power upper and lower work outs Mon/Tues. Hypertrophy upper/lower Wed/Thurs.

I would recommend training your legs the same day as footy training nights (amybe just train legs Tuesday nights), otherwise you are not giving your body any time to recover and then you will definitely cause injury.

So same day is recommended hey? Would have thought at least a night's rest might be better, but thats cool works even better for me.

I've been following an upper/lower split too during the offseason, found a simple routine to follow (site called aworkoutroutine.com or something similar) so wouldnt mind readjusting to something similar.

Read the website on Layne Norton, looks good, but his routine has 2 hypertrophy upper days, how did you combine chest/arms/back/shoulders into the one day without spending 3hrs in the gym? Would love some guidance instead of me just picking and choosing my favs with absolutely no knowledge! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back