clucas91

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2001
Tokyo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brisbane
I think more are needed, Australia dont play enough, neither do Great Britain, only while the World Cup was on did I actually see some teams in action, and that was 2 years ago!

perhaps thats because other countries do not play???

fancy being allowed to play for lebanon because your granfather lived there for a few years, next they'll be playing for turkey because they visited there for a holiday once, or the flew over german airspace, so they qualify for germany... good grief. who was it... luke ricketson??? someone played for ireland and someone (ian rubin??) for lebanon even though theyve never been to the country. if you call that a world cup, then we might as well rename the melbourne storm the beirut butchers and call it an international game. (just as valid, none of the storm boys grew up in melbourne, correct me if im wrong ms storm)

there is no competition for australia thats why
i think they should have a four way tournament for rugby league
australia, new zealand, england and a side comprising of players from everywhere else in the world
now that would be better competition
than australia beating some countries by 100 or so

Nicko

Originally posted by nicko18
perhaps thats because other countries do not play???

fancy being allowed to play for lebanon because your granfather lived there for a few years, next they'll be playing for turkey because they visited there for a holiday once, or the flew over german airspace, so they qualify for germany... good grief. who was it... luke ricketson??? someone played for ireland and someone (ian rubin??) for lebanon even though theyve never been to the country. if you call that a world cup, then we might as well rename the melbourne storm the beirut butchers and call it an international game. (just as valid, none of the storm boys grew up in melbourne, correct me if im wrong ms storm)

You are stretching it a bit Nicko...
Ian Rubin for a start .... I am sure his parents were born in Russia.
Do you know that there are 10,000 registered rugby league players in Russia...and Ian Rubin was just one of 18 or so that was picked to play for Russia....
Same principle applied to Danny Williams.
Same for Luke Ricketson.
Why can't they represent their heritage?
It boosts the incumbent team and gives an international presence.
Can you see a problem with either Bai or Ciociva (Broncos and spellcheck pls) representing New Guinea?

I don't see a problem with it at all......as long as parents or grandparents had the country as their birthplace.

In soccer the same rule can apply.

With regard to the Storm and their players growing up in Melb....well of course, no one plays for them that grew up in Victoria....yet there are 3 boys playing NRL who were born or grew up here.....Tahu from the Knights is one that springs to mind....and I know there are a few more.

At Brisbane Norths, the Storm feeder team, I think there are 2 to 3 players from Melb. hoping to grab a spot for the Storm.

Do you really follow rugby league or just pretend to?:rolleyes: :D

its disgraceful that they let people who have never even set foot in a particular country represent them, you are right, ian rubins father spent his child hood in russia, so what, it totally demeans the competition when you can pick and choose what country you represent. you cant do it in soccer, you have to be a citizen to play for whoever you play for. i can see why the rugby league did it, because so few countries have players playing league that they need good players to play for the other teams, and if that means stretching the rules in what it means to be irish, then so be it. i could set up an equally credible world cup by getting players to represent what countries theyd like to visit the most.

i would rather see a world cup with russians playing for russia, scots for scotland, french in the french side etc. i know theyd get whooped, but at least it would be a more credible world cup, and players can play with patriotism, as opposed to... hmm, i wont make the aussie side, ill see if i can play for scotland, hell i had a grandfather who used to live there.

i worked out when the world cup was on, that if i was good enough i could be eligible to play for one of three countries.

1. Australia - was born here and am a citizen
2. England - Grandfather grew up there + dad has a british passport
3. New Zealand - Grandfather grew up there.

Ian Rubin's Father did spend his childhood in Russia, in fact he spent some of his adult life there too. Ian Rubin was born in Russia (Actually, I think it was in the Crimea which is now part of the Ukraine) but raised in Australia. The vast majority of the Russian WC squad were Russian. Only six were born in Australia.

OK, the Lebanese were almost all Aussie born, although Hazem El-Mazri was born in Beirut.

Nicko, you state that you HAVE to be a citizen to play for a country in soccer. This is totally untrue. What about the Irish? How many English and Scots born players have they recruited over the years? The rules within FIFA probably as relaxed as most sports.

I would have been eligible to play for both England and Wales at any sport.

Henry Paul, played RL for NZ, then switched to union and because of a Grandfather who was born in the northwest of England, he switched to being a pom international - a dual international in the true sense of the term.

Cricket is full of players who played for countries they had little connection with. Keppler Wessels is one example. Was Basil D'Oliveira [sp] English?

Re: International Games

Originally posted by clucas91
I think more are needed, Australia dont play enough, neither do Great Britain, only while the World Cup was on did I actually see some teams in action, and that was 2 years ago!

Absolutely, although I think the timing of the most recent test is a little unfortunate, given most fans have just shelled out for SOO tickets.

Originally posted by BTige
Ian Rubin's Father did spend his childhood in Russia, in fact he spent some of his adult life there too. Ian Rubin was born in Russia (Actually, I think it was in the Crimea which is now part of the Ukraine) but raised in Australia. The vast majority of the Russian WC squad were Russian. Only six were born in Australia.

OK, the Lebanese were almost all Aussie born, although Hazem El-Mazri was born in Beirut.

Nicko, you state that you HAVE to be a citizen to play for a country in soccer. This is totally untrue. What about the Irish? How many English and Scots born players have they recruited over the years? The rules within FIFA probably as relaxed as most sports.

I would have been eligible to play for both England and Wales at any sport.

Henry Paul, played RL for NZ, then switched to union and because of a Grandfather who was born in the northwest of England, he switched to being a pom international - a dual international in the true sense of the term.

Cricket is full of players who played for countries they had little connection with. Keppler Wessels is one example. Was Basil D'Oliveira [sp] English?

the only time it is allowed in cricket if their country is not one of the test plying nations.. graeme hick and allan lamb arb and tony greig are players whose country was not a test playing nation.

sorry about the soccer comment, if its wrong, ill check up on it though ;)

At least half a class team, no doubt people who consider themselves Australian, have moved to New Zealand for the opportunity to play test cricket. Most of them were born in New Zealand and migrated to Australia as kids.

And Henry Paul has lived in England for 7 years, I'm sure he would pass any RL residency test.

Originally posted by Player
At least half a class team, no doubt people who consider themselves Australian, have moved to New Zealand for the opportunity to play test cricket. Most of them were born in New Zealand and migrated to Australia as kids.

And Henry Paul has lived in England for 7 years, I'm sure he would pass any RL residency test.

every NZ cricketer is a NZ citizen. im assuming this "half the side" you are reffering to is Matthew Sinclair. He was born in Darwin, then moved to NZ at a very young age and is a citizen. when asked by Kerry O'Keefe on At the Wicket, he considers himself very much a kiwi and has a NZ accent. could you please tell us the others that you think refer to themselves as aussies in the NZ cricket team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that case, should they hold a Rugby League world cup with every League playing country, but Australia should not play, or send in a substantially weaker side?

The USA Baseball team send out a weak team for the Olympics.
(Mind you, they still win the gold! :eek: )

How long did that take to sort out?

better than the league debacle where they were just allowed to play for a country based upon their grandfather being born there. just face it, rugby league is not, and never will be an international sport

Originally posted by nicko18

better than the league debacle where they were just allowed to play for a country based upon their grandfather being born there. just face it, rugby league is not, and never will be an international sport

I'd take your views seriously if I felt you really knew what you were talking about.

You are not and have never been a RL fan! Briedis is just your b***h who says what you want.

:p

I'd take your views seriously if I felt you really knew what you were talking about.

You are not and have never been a RL fan! Briedis is just your b***h who says what you want.

:p

Better than being English mate!:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back