Movie Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate how Dr Brand gets Doyle killed, why was she so desperate to get the recorder anyway when the planet was obviously inhospitable.

In saying that Doyle could have moved his arse a bit quicker instead of standing there like a stunned mullet for a couple of moments

Good movie, not great but good.

Gotta watch this again. Great movie.

Almost a 3 hour marathon and its the kind of movie most enjoyed on a winter's night.

First time I watched it, I started late and finished watching it at 2am and I wanted more. Couldnt get enough of it.

All round, great acting.

I really enjoyed it up until that daughter bookshelf stuff.

But wasnt that the whole point of the movie? That there is another dimension that at the time when he left Earth they didnt know about?

But wasnt that the whole point of the movie? That there is another dimension that at the time when he left Earth they didnt know about?
It’s the going through the black hole and the whole time paradox thing of Coop sending the message to his young daughter thingy, I know it’s sci fi but that went a little beyond the beyond..imo

Just found this out yesterday.......not that I can really understand it.

It’s the going through the black hole and the whole time paradox thing of Coop sending the message to his young daughter thingy, I know it’s sci fi but that went a little beyond the beyond..imo

IIRC I think the science holds up well in this movie? Im pretty sure this has been discussed by the director as to the legitimacy of the science/time paradox/time travel holding true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sitting around on that space ship for most of the 23 years waiting for them would have sucked.
A lot of people have barely been able to stay home last few weeks, don’t think anyone could ever stay sane locked by themselves on a small spaceship for that long.

A lot of people have barely been able to stay home last few weeks, don’t think anyone could ever stay sane locked by themselves on a small spaceship for that long.

There is a difference though, the astronauts are trained for these missions.

As humans being locked up in our own homes, sure if we had plenty of time to prepare and resources it wouldnt be too hard to stay locked up for a couple of months.

Most consecutive days in space

Russian cosmonaut Valery Polyakov spent nearly 438 consecutive days aboard the Mir space station, from January 1994 to March 1995. He therefore holds the record for longest single human spaceflight — and perhaps set another one for wobbliest legs when he finally touched down.

The most consecutive days in space by an American is 340 days, which happened when Scott Kelly took part in a one-year mission to the International Space Station in 2015-16 (along with Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko).

The longest single flight by a woman took place in 2016-17, when American astronaut Peggy Whitson spent 288 days aboard the space station. NASA astronaut Christina Koch is scheduled to break that record when she returns from a 328-day mission to the space station in the spring of 2020.

The most consecutive days in space by an American is 340 days, which happened when Scott Kelly took part in a one-year mission to the International Space Station in 2015-16 (along with Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko).

There's a good recent interview with Scott Kelly about living in space and comparing it to lockdown on the Slate Political Gabfest - https://slate.com/podcasts/political-gabfest/2020/04/tara-reades-allegations-against-biden - listen from 46:48 for Kelly.

There is a difference though, the astronauts are trained for these missions.

As humans being locked up in our own homes, sure if we had plenty of time to prepare and resources it wouldnt be too hard to stay locked up for a couple of months.

Most consecutive days in space

Russian cosmonaut Valery Polyakov spent nearly 438 consecutive days aboard the Mir space station, from January 1994 to March 1995. He therefore holds the record for longest single human spaceflight — and perhaps set another one for wobbliest legs when he finally touched down.

The longest single flight by a woman took place in 2016-17, when American astronaut Peggy Whitson spent 288 days aboard the space station. NASA astronaut Christina Koch is scheduled to break that record when she returns from a 328-day mission to the space station in the spring of 2020.
No doubt astronauts do better than the rest of us, but one year compared with 23 years by yourself in a small ship far far from earth is no comparison. Plus the fact that it was unexpected. Mental impacts is one of the main concerns of a trip to Mars.

No doubt astronauts do better than the rest of us, but one year compared with 23 years by yourself in a small ship far far from earth is no comparison. Plus the fact that it was unexpected. Mental impacts is one of the main concerns of a trip to Mars.

I was curious about your statement about the 23 years so I investigated further.

Its a fascinating movie, because when Cooper and Brand leave the spaceship, they had only left for a few hours on the new planet, but Romilly experienced 23 Earth years of isolation. I do recall this now, because he had aged considerably. I would have aged too with that stupid robot as company.

But there are people across the world who spend years in isolation, look at terrorists or criminals who commit heinous crimes that are placed in complete isolation with no physical contact with another human. There is a few interesting youtube videos on how those incarcerated "kill" time, even though they are in a small little cubicle they develop a routine and schedule in order to not go insane.

Lets not forget those that incarcerated dont have Bigfooty, Uber Eats or video games. So killing time for them would be painful. Personally I could do it for say maybe a month at most. I know because I have spent a month in bed alone while sick, so I know I can do it. But to do it for consecutive months or years would drive me to insanity.

This probably belongs in the 'what do you do that you think no one else does' thread, but I always wonder in movies like this, how long someone like the guy stuck in the spaceship for 23 years takes before he rubs one out?

Is it a couple of days, a week, a month etc.

Tom Hanks in castaway another example.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

This probably belongs in the 'what do you do that you think no one else does' thread, but I always wonder in movies like this, how long someone like the guy stuck in the spaceship for 23 years takes before he rubs one out?

I thought thats what TARS was for? :$

And there's always a couple of assholes on the crew. Or a robot with a secret agenda.

I call bullshit.:drunk:

giphy.gif

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back