Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked into the gym this morning, there was barely anyone around and i could hear a bloke loudly counting his reps. It was a bit weird, because i couldn't see him until i looked and saw him on the lying leg curl.

Wrist curls are a waste of time.

Agreed. Never saw the need or purpose of wrist curls, is it to look like Bruce Lee? Do they improve grip strength?

I guess it irritates me to see people doing weird or useless exercises. Blokes doing smith machine squats when the power racks were empty, not bringing the bar down to your chest during bench press.

Agreed. Never saw the need or purpose of wrist curls, is it to look like Bruce Lee? Do they improve grip strength?

I guess it irritates me to see people doing weird or useless exercises. Blokes doing smith machine squats when the power racks were empty, not bringing the bar down to your chest during bench press.

iirc they don't do anything at all that a simple bicep curl doesn't do.

I was at the gym a couple of days ago and a woman was doing this exercise (kind of hard to explain tbh) where she

1) got her shoulders on a bench
2) legs / body on the ground
3) put heaps of weight on her stomach (like, 60kg)
4) raised up her body to parrallel

I'm still not 100% what on earth she was doing but it looked pretty dangerous.

Always funny to see someone trying to reinvent the wheel. Even better if they are already out of shape.

I was at the gym a couple of days ago and a woman was doing this exercise (kind of hard to explain tbh) where she

Always funny to see someone trying to reinvent the wheel. Even better if they are already out of shape.

Do other gym-goers (during unstaffed hours) have a duty of care to step in or help if someone is at risk of hurting themselves?

I think people forget when grab any type of weight and do an exercise your forearms are being used and trained indirectly, particularly when doing push exercises. Haha i am the same, but stop and think why do i let it make me angry, there poor form doesn't affect me. Other classics are;

The "bent over" row down in the upright position, DB shoulder press with the DB's barely go below the top of their head. Bouncing calf "raises".

Sounds like a hip thrust. Not a bad exercise and popular with females, but it's a lot safer when done in the smith machine.

Do other gym-goers (during unstaffed hours) have a duty of care to step in or help if someone is at risk of hurting themselves?

my gym has signs saying not to correct other people's form, so i'm thinking no.

I've seen a guy doing an exercise that was a good risk of hanging himself, i think he was doing a neck exercise with a rope wrapped around his neck.

Was it a novice attempt at a hip flexor exercise B?

hmm potentially. Or some kind of ab/core exercise maybe.

I think maybe she was trying to do that exercise where you bang a barbell on the floor

Barbell-Glute-Bridge.jpg

Farmers walks FTW - underrated exercise

Yeah as others have said, sounds like a hip thrust which is a pretty good exercise, and I think its better with shoulders on a bench than on the floor like the picture above.

D!ckheads that sit on the gym equipment on Tinder for half hour while I'm waiting to use it.
Getting to the point where I'm going to start confiscating phones soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think so. it would be litigation paradise if care duty was thrust upon all patrons.

I think people forget when grab any type of weight and do an exercise your forearms are being used and trained indirectly, particularly when doing push exercises. Haha i am the same, but stop and think why do i let it make me angry, there poor form doesn't affect me. Other classics are;

The "bent over" row down in the upright position, DB shoulder press with the DB's barely go below the top of their head. Bouncing calf "raises".

the other classic is misuse of the word there.

I've seen a guy doing an exercise that was a good risk of hanging himself, i think he was doing a neck exercise with a rope wrapped around his neck.

it's called the michael hutchence

I think maybe she was trying to do that exercise where you bang a barbell on the floor

Barbell-Glute-Bridge.jpg

back in....too late

over time
ive spoken to a few regulars who frequent at my time. one is very friendly and we always have the awkward how ya going, training? yeah, get back into it, chat. our first chat included self introductions. i remember his name, he doesnt remember mine. how hard is it to say peter?

over time
ive spoken to a few regulars who frequent at my time. one is very friendly and we always have the awkward how ya going, training? yeah, get back into it, chat. our first chat included self introductions. i remember his name, he doesnt remember mine. how hard is it to say peter?

Capitals after full stops? :p

surely there is a better way to train that area?
If done properly (with a barbell on the hips not weight randomly on the stomach) it's a great exercise. Strengthens the glutes better then anything else. Besides ascetics (and after washboard abs good glutes rate as the favourite body part on guys on many lists down by women), it helps with sprinting speed and is great for getting over dying in the hole in any squat variation. Did them myself this morning, working up to a max set of 6 reps at 177.5kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back