Strategy Is 2018 the time to ditch the defensive game plan?

Should the defensive game plan be scrapped going into 2018?

• Yes, it is making us look bad

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My decision depends on the outcome of the off-season

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No, we're doing well enough

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Time to get a little serious. I am loving the journey I am being taken on by Bolton and his team, but I feel as if though we are encountering one to many roadblocks. The biggest of them being the current game plan. It's only a short living one. And some of the young kids coming in to be exposed to it, are not seeming to handle it well as we would like (e.g. Pickett, Macreadie and occasionally J.Silvagni). It leaves me wondering whether we will be able to make the transition, regardless of when it happens. It makes me wonder whether we are in a different time and that building the foundations similar to that of the Hawthorn rebuild back in 2004-05 is pointless.

I say it is time to take risks. This defensive game plan has too many flaws that are constantly getting repeated by media and supporters all of the time. It is making our younger crop look relatively weaker compared to most others. The last thing I want to see is North Melbourne's group leap-frogging over us in their rebuild. It's one thing to have patience, but it's another thing to make progress. And I don't think making progress should involve Bolton and the coaches lacking faith and confidence in the list. Here are some reasons why the change of the game plan is where to begin.

1. Let's start off with the obvious. It isn't attractive footy.

While I'm super excited with the plethora of potential young stars walking through our doors, I'm just not excited with the club right now. Not even when they were going through their purple patch. It would be more enjoyable to see players kicking bags of goals and the entire team doing heaps to have a greater influence on the scoreboard. You can tell that some of them already look to be playing the role quite effectively, but imagine how much better they'll become when they are given the freedom to create damage and worry their opponents.

I don't like associating Carlton with boring matches (the GWS match probably the only exception), but it is the truth. Low scoring, slow-play, kick around footy doesn't really scream excitement. It's like you are not getting your money's worth. I can see players like Charlie, Jack, Wright, Lamb and even McKay kicking bags of goals consistently moving forward. If we continue to leave them pushing too hard, I fear they may not handle the transition. This style of play makes our defenders look fantastic while the rest of the team appears as if they could go one step further, without being given the chance to do so. This leads me to my next reason.

2. Certain players just don't suit this style of game.

When I look at the likes of David Cuningham, Jarrod Pickett, Samo Petrevski-Seton, Kym Lebois, Cameron Polson and Zac Fisher, I think of the huge amount of potential they have. But I fear that they'll never reach it if we continue to go down the hold back, set up and start again strategy of winning games. Most small players are quick on their feet and can be quick to think of their next move as well, which helps greatly with allowing teammates to find more space. Their evasiveness around play also sees them being a genuine threat to the opposition (e.g. Rioli, Elliot, Fantasia, Walters). That is what made those such as Betts and Garlett fun to watch. A defensive-minded game plan only looks to prevent all of this. With the current strategies in place, getting games into those such as Pickett is and will remain as ineffective and a waste of time.

I honestly could see someone like Fisher really thriving in an Adelaide or Richmond style of game, given the space to run and carry and make brilliant decisions with his lethal left foot. Him having to use his strength more than his speed and flexibility to win the ball in a tight contest most of the time, has him tire out pretty quickly. Hence why he most certainly will not see a rising star nomination nor does he get much recognition for what he already does. He applies a lot of pressure which is one half of his game looking good, but the other half won't be found having him being held up with everybody pushing up in front of him.

3. It mounts more pressure onto our players.

No doubt many of our players are below the required skill level. But I believe this defensive game plan is the reason why. Having our best players like Simpson and Murphy constantly hold up play after taking a mark diminishes their true ability to impact the game like they've been known for doing. All I have seen is every player either waiting for someone that never pops up or kicking long bombs forward that only ever see their teammates out-muscled in congestion. Taking it slow only looks to put more pressure onto players to make the right decision, with them not doing so making them look a lot worse than they should.

Not to forget our kicking for goal is (hate to say it) below average. While Casboult has improved with the help of Sav, everybody else is struggling with set shots. Charlie (more-so earlier in the season), Jack, McKay and many of the midfielders look to be missing some really easy shots for goal that I reckon many of us supporters would nail. Many of them are indeed young, but this defensive game starves them of the opportunities to improve their kicking for goal when it matters most. Either that or they are saving their best from the boundary line pre-game. The more often they are given the space to take strong marks and line up for goal, the better their set-shot kicking will be. All this comes from taking the game on.

4. We get exposed too easily.

For the second year in a row, we have been turned inside out. Having Cripps and Ed out does become a reason for our downfall in the second half of the season. But I've also noticed we've recently been implementing offensive strategies to a fixed system, which only has seen us come off worse than before. We are looking like the Collingwood side of a few weeks ago, confused and no sense of direction. Our playing group are in two minds and it is seeing us lose by greater margins. The current game plan also depends on having the right players on the field. So either our depth is terrible (which it is) or depth itself means very little.

I'll also agree that our young kids are tiring out a little, but how come the kids of teams such as Richmond, North Melbourne, Fremantle and Brisbane look to be getting better with each game? How come Charlie Curnow has lifted lately? This shouldn't be an excuse at all, given the expectations laid upon any player that takes a step onto the big stage. I blame the game plan. Our kids are good, but they can be so much better with the proper space to run, carry and deliver effectively.

5. It makes us look as if we are not trying.

Not so much tanking, but just about putting the cue in the rack. We are always demanding for our players to take the game on and hit the scoreboard themselves. We are making and effort to show up and expecting our team to do the same. We are whipping players that we shouldn't need to whip. It wouldn't be so bad if we were kicking a bigger score. An attacking style of game will make it look like we are putting in more effort. It would prevent the players from looking unmotivated. Having them not bothered when the ball is in their hands sucks the life out of the supporters and members. For almost 30 consecutive games we haven't kicked a 100+ score.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once we get a few young midfielders over the off-season, I think it is time to immediately expose them to a fresh new Carlton. One that will try and work both ways rather than just worry about what the opposition does. Playing like the Fremantle of 2014 is not going to help them out in any way.

Right now we are once again, close to another wooden spoon. which would see us potentially with another number one pick. And I don't know about you lot, but I'm not that excited by it. I see pick 1 to be quite overrated anyway. Most of them don't turn out as absolute stars. We have four of them already and only one of them has been proving why they were a good choice (Kreuzer).

Last edited:
We have this game plan because:
1. our midfield is unable to delay the ball movement.
2. our midfield does not bat very deep in terms of class.
3. we could not get games into 8+ youngsters otherwise.

Next year, I expect SPS, Cuningham, Fisher, Williamson and Charlie to run and break the lines more, and to sustain it for longer in matches.

Byrne in the backline will help, and I think Pickett will be Best 22.

Yep - the defensive mindset is a foundation that both suits our current team disposition and sets us up for the future.

I really want to see us improve our scoring next year and I'll be disappointed if it's not progressing in leaps and bounds, but we're playing the long game here.

We have this game plan because:
1. our midfield is unable to delay the ball movement.
2. our midfield does not bat very deep in terms of class.
3. we could not get games into 8+ youngsters otherwise.

Next year, I expect SPS, Cuningham, Fisher, Williamson and Charlie to run and break the lines more, and to sustain it for longer in matches.

Byrne in the backline will help, and I think Pickett will be Best 22.

This game plan seems to be making whatever class we have look bad. Watching Murphy and Simpson the past two weeks and I've noticed so many basic skill errors they're not usually known for.
The last minute decisions end up becoming 50/50's and those resulting in the sudden burst from the opposition have recently left us stunned.

It also depends on which young kids we are playing. Those like Williamson, Marchbank, SPS (strangely in a good way) and C.Curnow look to be able in taking big steps going forward, but others like Pickett will only stagnate if we continue performing this way for too long.

Last edited:
Yep - the defensive mindset is a foundation that both suits our current team disposition and sets us up for the future.

I really want to see us improve our scoring next year and I'll be disappointed if it's not progressing in leaps and bounds, but we're playing the long game here.

It's a matter of how to set the game plan up before the season starts and who is going to learn plenty from it. Having noticed the slight modifications to our performances recently, it doesn't look like our game plan should be changed during the season. Most of the players are simply getting confused, not knowing what to do.

I just can't see Fisher or Pickett doing any better than they are now given their strengths aren't encouraged. And our KPF's seem to be lifting a heavier load.

Time to get a little serious. I am loving the journey I am being taken on by Bolton and his team, but I feel as if though we are encountering one to many roadblocks. The biggest of them being the current game plan. It's only a short living one. And some of the young kids coming in to be exposed to it, are not seeming to handle it well as we would like (e.g. Pickett, Macreadie and occasionally J.Silvagni). It leaves me wondering whether we will be able to make the transition, regardless of when it happens. It makes me wonder whether we are in a different time and that building the foundations similar to that of the Hawthorn rebuild back in 2004-05 is pointless.

I say it is time to take risks. This defensive game plan has too many flaws that are constantly getting repeated by media and supporters all of the time. It is making our younger crop look relatively weaker compared to most others. The last thing I want to see is North Melbourne's group leap-frogging over us in their rebuild. It's one thing to have patience, but it's another thing to make progress. And I don't think making progress should involve Bolton and the coaches lacking faith and confidence in the list. Here are some reasons why the change of the game plan is where to begin.

While I'm super excited with the plethora of potential young stars walking through our doors, I'm just not excited with the club right now. Not even when they were going through their purple patch. It would be more enjoyable to see players kicking bags of goals and the entire team doing heaps to have a greater influence on the scoreboard. You can tell that some of them already look to be playing the role quite effectively, but imagine how much better they'll become when they are given the freedom to create damage and worry their opponents.

I don't like associating Carlton with boring matches (the GWS match probably the only exception), but it is the truth. Low scoring, slow-play, kick around footy doesn't really scream excitement. It's like you are not getting your money's worth. I can see players like Charlie, Jack, Wright, Lamb and even McKay kicking bags of goals consistently moving forward. If we continue to leave them pushing too hard, I fear they may not handle the transition. This style of play makes our defenders look fantastic while the rest of the team appears as if they could go one step further, without being given the chance to do so. This leads me to my next reason.

When I look at the likes of David Cuningham, Jarrod Pickett, Samo Petrevski-Seton, Kym Lebois, Cameron Polson and Zac Fisher, I think of the huge amount of potential they have. But I fear that they'll never reach it if we continue to go down the hold back, set up and start again strategy of winning games. Most small players are quick on their feet and can be quick to think of their next move as well, which helps greatly with allowing teammates to find more space. Their evasiveness around play also sees them being a genuine threat to the opposition (e.g. Rioli, Elliot, Fantasia, Walters). That is what made those such as Betts and Garlett fun to watch. A defensive-minded game plan only looks to prevent all of this. With the current strategies in place, getting games into those such as Pickett is and will remain as ineffective and a waste of time.

I honestly could see someone like Fisher really thriving in an Adelaide or Richmond style of game, given the space to run and carry and make brilliant decisions with his lethal left foot. Him having to use his strength more than his speed and flexibility to win the ball in a tight contest most of the time, has him tire out pretty quickly. Hence why he most certainly will not see a rising star nomination nor does he get much recognition for what he already does. He applies a lot of pressure which is one half of his game looking good, but the other half won't be found having him being held up with everybody pushing up in front of him.

No doubt many of our players are below the required skill level. But I believe this defensive game plan is the reason why. Having our best players like Simpson and Murphy constantly hold up play after taking a mark diminishes their true ability to impact the game like they've been known for doing. All I have seen is every player either waiting for someone that never pops up or kicking long bombs forward that only ever see their teammates out-muscled in congestion. Taking it slow only looks to put more pressure onto players to make the right decision, with them not doing so making them look a lot worse than they should.

Not to forget our kicking for goal is (hate to say it) below average. While Casboult has improved with the help of Sav, everybody else is struggling with set shots. Charlie (more-so earlier in the season), Jack, McKay and many of the midfielders look to be missing some really easy shots for goal that I reckon many of us supporters would nail. Many of them are indeed young, but this defensive game starves them of the opportunities to improve their kicking for goal when it matters most. Either that or they are saving their best from the boundary line pre-game. The more often they are given the space to take strong marks and line up for goal, the better their set-shot kicking will be. All this comes from taking the game on.

For the second year in a row, we have been turned inside out. Having Cripps and Ed out does become a reason for our downfall in the second half of the season. But I've also noticed we've recently been implementing offensive strategies to a fixed system, which only has seen us come off worse than before. We are looking like the Collingwood side of a few weeks ago, confused and no sense of direction. Our playing group are in two minds and it is seeing us lose by greater margins. The current game plan also depends on having the right players on the field. So either our depth is terrible (which it is) or depth itself means very little.

I'll also agree that our young kids are tiring out a little, but how come the kids of teams such as Richmond, North Melbourne, Fremantle and Brisbane look to be getting better with each game? How come Charlie Curnow has lifted lately? This shouldn't be an excuse at all, given the expectations laid upon any player that takes a step onto the big stage. I blame the game plan. Our kids are good, but they can be so much better with the proper space to run, carry and deliver effectively.

Not so much tanking, but just about putting the cue in the rack. We are always demanding for our players to take the game on and hit the scoreboard themselves. We are making and effort to show up and expecting our team to do the same. We are whipping players that we shouldn't need to whip. It wouldn't be so bad if we were kicking a bigger score. An attacking style of game will make it look like we are putting in more effort. It would prevent the players from looking unmotivated. Having them not bothered when the ball is in their hands sucks the life out of the supporters and members. For almost 30 consecutive games we haven't kicked a 100+ score.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once we get a few young midfielders over the off-season, I think it is time to immediately expose them to a fresh new Carlton. One that will try and work both ways rather then just worry about what the opposition does. Playing like the Fremantle of 2014 is not going to help them out in any way.

Right now we are once again, close to another wooden spoon. which would see us potentially with another number one pick. And I don't know about you lot, but I'm not that excited by it. I see pick 1 to be quite overrated anyway. Most of them don't turn out as absolute stars. We have four of them already and only one of them has been proving why they were a good choice (Kreuzer).
You make some very good points. The defensive game plan won't get us a premiership but I feel it has been good for us this year. I think it will be a gradual change to a more attacking game, we won't completely remove it.

You look at a guy like Fisher, I really like him with ball in hand but it his defensive game that is getting him selected every week. I think it is a good starting point for these young players, I think they will be focused to start adding more attacking play with each pre-season.

You make some very good points. The defensive game plan won't get us a premiership but I feel it has been good for us this year. I think it will be a gradual change to a more attacking game, we won't completely remove it.

You look at a guy like Fisher, I really like him with ball in hand but it his defensive game that is getting him selected every week. I think it is a good starting point for these young players, I think they will be focused to start adding more attacking play with each pre-season.

I really like Fisher, and I enjoy watching what he brings. But there comes a time when you will question how much more will he gain from this. When will he get to apply his strength of pushing forward of the packs and finding the goals more regularly?

He looks to be the sort of player that can change the game to our advantage.

Kids aren't physically ready to take the game on at all costs. We need to give them recovery time during quarters or the scores will blow out.

Two more years and we will be lethal, look for the transition to begin next season.

I really like Fisher, and I enjoy watching what he brings. But there comes a time when you will question how much more will he gain from this. When will he get to apply his strength of pushing forward of the packs and finding the goals more regularly?

He looks to be the sort of player that can change the game to our advantage.
I guess what Bolts is doing is making sure the kids have a defensive side to their game before they start running forward of the ball. The thing that let us down when we were in the top half of the ladder from 2009-11 & 2013 was that we didn't have enough players who ran both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our players just can't execute basic handball chains at break-neck speed like other teams.

There's a reason Bolton has us playing this way, one off-season won't change that.

We do have the skills, however, we don't have the run - players with too little stamina right now.

It's a matter of how to set the game plan up before the season starts and who is going to learn plenty from it. Having noticed the slight modifications to our performances recently, it doesn't look like our game plan should be changed during the season. Most of the players are simply getting confused, not knowing what to do.

I just can't see Fisher or Pickett doing any better than they are now given their strengths aren't encouraged. And our KPF's seem to be lifting a heavier load.
I've actually thought the opposite. When I watch I get the impression we are trying so hard to play to a certain structure and method that the creativity, run and flow is stifled. The reason for it I think is to preference a team defence and maintenance not possession as long as possible. Once our young guys really have that down, get more games under the belt and become hardened bodies, we'll play that style even better. What I'm hoping is that with time, we'll also add more elements of attacking flair and run to improve the other side of the ledger.

If we worry about what the AFL world thinks we'll never achieve any sort of success.

We should stick to our beliefs and right now Bolton believes this is the best way for us to play. It can be hard to watch at times. That's definitely true. I sit in some seats with decent views of the way we set up and I've lost count of the number of times our gameplan has stopped us from getting easy scores.

It simply will continue though until we add more skill to the 22 and some of the younger players get better with their decision making. Right now I would literally only trust Gibbs and Docherty to consistently make the right decision. Every other player has been prone to some awful decision making this season.

If we tried to be more dangerous we'd get cut apart even more. Under Ratten we looked a million bucks at times when our players were getting first use of it. On other days we looked awful because we didn't know how to defend.

Having a team that can defend well will be huge once the kids starting becoming real players. You'll see far more consistency.

The skills and lack of dare just highlights how important it is for SOS to get more talent in this off-season.

The current game plan has to go, and it will, unfortunately we'll have to be patient....again.

Long term, let's get the foundations right. I'm not keen on North's run and gun approach at this stage, gotta get this right. They're down bottom like us but so far behind long term.

2019 onwards is the time for the transition to a more attacking style of footy IMO.

Once we get a few young midfielders over the off-season, I think it is time to immediately expose them to a fresh new Carlton. One that will try and work both ways rather than just worry about what the opposition does. Playing like the Fremantle of 2014 is not going to help them out in any way.

Cliff Note me, bro...

Defence is the cornerstone of success - so logically you teach that first.

We have the least depth of any team in the midfield so it is inevitable we will lose through the middle so setting up for counter offensive style makes sense.

The game plan might become more offensive as midfield improves but maybe it won't - Ross Lyon has been very successful with ultra defensive football

Oh and yes - our game structure is very successful as I don't think anyone expected us to win more than 2 or 3 games last year or this year. How this team wins more than that is a credit to to coach.

I love Bolts. He's a smart cookie.

It may be painful while right now but instilling a defensive mindset and game plan into the very DNA of our players at this early stage will be wonderful for their long term development.

Attacking footy is easy, working hard defensively the other way is much more difficult and that's what separates premiership contenders and premiership pretenders.

I love Bolts. He's a smart cookie.

It may be painful while right now but instilling a defensive mindset and game plan into the very DNA of our players at this early stage will be wonderful for their long term development.

Attacking footy is easy, working hard defensively the other way is much more difficult and that's what separates premiership contenders and premiership pretenders.
Defensive mindset requires discipline and team defence is a good foundation to build on.

I remember the Geelong teams of the 80s and 90s, great forwards and attacking running game....always came unstuck in finals.

I think you have completely missed the point. If Bolton had inherited a list capable of playing attacking footy, fair enough. But we have about 3 midfielders, and many of our young players are still far from reaching their peak.

Top sides build from defense first, because it is a team-wide commitment and driven largely by attitude. He is instilling accountability and resilience in the playing group first.

To be honest, I find it sadly hilarious the amount of flak that Bolton, SOS & the Club are currently copping. What did people think they meant when they talked about the 'journey' of building a list from scratch? Do you even know who was on our list at the end of 2015?

We are attempting the near impossible and the Club has done an amazing job at clearing out deadwood and bringing in as much young talent as possible. The fact is that it takes considerable time and patience to do so - you need to recruit well, develop well and coach well. We are actually firing on all cylinders in those areas, more so than anyone could gave reasonably expected in less than 2 years. One of the biggest factors in player development and success is time - experience, fitness, strength, team cohesion, etc. It simply does not happen overnight, but it should be clear to all and sundry that we are on the right track.

Again, like I said, it takes patience. It is a shame that whilst supporters decry the 'Old Carlton', we have the perfect foundation for the 'New Carlton' at the helm of the club and many are too ignorant to comprehend, acknowledge and appreciate it. It shows a great misunderstanding of how the modern AFL works. Bolts, SOS and co. deserve far better.

Well only become more attacking when the balance of smalls/talls in the team is setup to be able to play more attacking football.

Oh and when we have a couple of fast offensive and defensively minded small forwards that place pressure from behind the opposition ball carrier

I think you have completely missed the point. If Bolton had inherited a list capable of playing attacking footy, fair enough. But we have about 3 midfielders, and many of our young players are still far from reaching their peak.

Top sides build from defense first, because it is a team-wide commitment and driven largely by attitude. He is instilling accountability and resilience in the playing group first.

To be honest, I find it sadly hilarious the amount of flak that Bolton, SOS & the Club are currently copping. What did people think they meant when they talked about the 'journey' of building a list from scratch? Do you even know who was on our list at the end of 2015?

We are attempting the near impossible and the Club has done an amazing job at clearing out deadwood and bringing in as much young talent as possible. The fact is that it takes considerable time and patience to do so - you need to recruit well, develop well and coach well. We are actually firing on all cylinders in those areas, more so than anyone could gave reasonably expected in less than 2 years. One of the biggest factors in player development and success is time - experience, fitness, strength, team cohesion, etc. It simply does not happen overnight, but it should be clear to all and sundry that we are on the right track.

Again, like I said, it takes patience. It is a shame that whilst supporters decry the 'Old Carlton', we have the perfect foundation for the 'New Carlton' at the helm of the club and many are too ignorant to comprehend, acknowledge and appreciate it. It shows a great misunderstanding of how the modern AFL works. Bolts, SOS and co. deserve far better.

I want success and I want it now damn it!!!!

Back