Is the top 8 set-in-stone after only seven rounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

PortBrillance

Trump Donor - 16' 20' 24'
Jul 9, 2009
TRUMP WON 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Adelaide City
I think the only team outside the 8 that can make it is Carlton.

Richmond, Crows, North, Essendon, Melbourne, Hawks and West Coast all gone for this season imo.

Hypothetically, If Blues lose to Saints(I actually tipped the blues) and then Port beat them next week, I think they are ALMOST finished.

In conclusion, the top 8 is set. The final positions in the top 8 are still up in the air.

in caro wilsons voice

bad call

7 games doesnt make a season. be a brave man to lock in the top 8 before even half the season is over

I love it how some people are so quick to make such ridiculous statements just so they can say 'I told you so'...Please PB, offer some reasons why the teams you've listed cant make the 8...There are still 15 rounds to go FFS!

I wouldn't be suprised to see Port dropping out, and it isn't my hate for them influencing the call, I just don't think they are all that good. But in saying that, they are more than likely to make it with 5 wins already on the board, so I'd have to agree it is nearly set. Although, Adelaide and Hawthorn still shouldn't be ruled out despite 6 losses, and Melbourne also. 15 rounds to go. O, and Carlton.

I'd say only Geelong, Saints, Freo, Swans and Pies are certs to finish top 8. Most of the other teams bar Crows, Hawks, Eagles and Tigers could all move in or out of the 8

in caro wilsons voice

bad call

7 games doesnt make a season. be a brave man to lock in the top 8 before even half the season is over

These teams will make it:
Collingwood
Saints
Geelong
WB

Teams who should make it:
Swans
Freo
Lions(50/50 I think)

Then it leaves Port. And as I said, If Port somehow manage to beat the blues, it COULD knockout the last contender for that last place. Port is still a 50/50 bet to make it.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Port dropping out, and it isn't my hate for them influencing the call, I just don't think they are all that good. But in saying that, they are more than likely to make it with 5 wins already on the board, so I'd have to agree it is pretty set.

Yeah Port could still go either way I reckon - though they do look to have a bit more steel about them this year.

Blues have/had a tough first 8 games. Have Kang, Melb, Syd (in Melb), WC (In Melb) Haw after Stk and Port games. Should make finals.

Think Bris will fight out 8th with Port.

Agree 7 teams look gone. Melb perhaps the best of them but will tire as season goes on with so many young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton and Melbourne are both a chance. And realistically, any side other than Richmond could get a run on and scrape in.

I love it how some people are so quick to make such ridiculous statements just so they can say 'I told you so'...Please PB, offer some reasons why the teams you've listed cant make the 8...There are still 15 rounds to go FFS!

Its not so much a matter of why the other 7 teams cant make it, Its who will they replace? Port will be the only team that might drop out. And the next 3 games are winnable. Blues, Melbourne, Richmond could see Port go 8-2 :eek:

If anyone's going to drop out it will be Port, but if they can win the next 3 games then they will make it easy

Its not so much a matter of why the other 7 teams cant make it, Its who will they replace? Port will be the only team that might drop out. And the next 3 games are winnable. Blues, Melbourne, Richmond could see Port go 8-2 :eek:

If anyone's going to drop out it will be Port, but if they can win the next 3 games then they will make it easy

we play your mob at tio stadium (darwin) melbourne is building a rather large base there, i think we will get enough of a home crowd. And we do alright there, when we aint horrible lol, and we have an alright record against your mob, kinda wish it was at the 'G' though

we play your mob at tio stadium (darwin) melbourne is building a rather large base there, i think we will get enough of a home crowd. And we do alright there, when we aint horrible lol, and we have an alright record against your mob, kinda wish it was at the 'G' though

No doubt.

The next three games are winnable, but conversely if we play like we did last year (up and down) then I rekin we will drop at least one of the next three games.

I'd be more then happy with 7-3 by round 10

Blues- Would hardly call that a foregone conclusion, they have looked a lot better than Port this year.
Melbourne- Is this in Melbourne or not at AAMI? If so, I will be tipping Melbourne.
Richmond- Yes that should be a comfortable win.
Realistically, I see Port 6-4 after 10 rounds, and it could go either way from there.

Blues- Would hardly call that a foregone conclusion, they have looked a lot better than Port this year.
Melbourne- Is this in Melbourne or not at AAMI? If so, I will be tipping Melbourne.
Realistically, I see Port 6-4 after 10 rounds, and it could go either way from there.

We'll see this week. I rate the blues highly hence the reason why I think they can still make the finals, but at home we SHOULD be favourites. But we wont be underestimating them.

7-3 looks much more realistic

Interesting to note that after 7 rounds last season Port Power were sitting in 4th position on the ladder & even as late as Round 19 were sitting in 8th position (Essendon were in 9th position & were to end up making the 8), yet ultimately did not make the finals.

After 9 rounds last season both Carlton & Collingwood were outside the 8, with both Port & Hawthorn inside the 8 (Collingwood were 11th after 8 rounds). As was the case with Port, Hawthorn also missed the finals.

One would suggest there is still a bit of football to be played before the 8 is "set in stone.".

the melbourne game is at tio stadium which is in darwin, our sold game.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Port dropping out, and it isn't my hate for them influencing the call, I just don't think they are all that good. But in saying that, they are more than likely to make it with 5 wins already on the board, so I'd have to agree it is nearly set. Although, Adelaide and Hawthorn still shouldn't be ruled out despite 6 losses, and Melbourne also. 15 rounds to go. O, and Carlton.

I'd rule out Adelaide and Hawthorn easily.

Simply because the historical record of teams that are 0 and 4 shows that they basically never make the finals, let alone teams that have a minimum of 6 losses from the first 7.

Blues have/had a tough first 8 games. Have Kang, Melb, Syd (in Melb), WC (In Melb) Haw after Stk and Port games. Should make finals.

Think Bris will fight out 8th with Port.

Agree 7 teams look gone. Melb perhaps the best of them but will tire as season goes on with so many young players.

Hate to break it to you, but Carlton will not make it.

Actually a very good call, Carlton are the only team who can jump in, Melb and NM are too young and will tire in the 2nd half of the year.

Looking at Port after the win yesterday, they are a much different side to last season, got some heart.

Brisbane are playing way below potential, they were decimated last night, Brown didn't fire and Clark didn't play. Brisbane are a top 4 team if they play as well as they can.

Bulldogs, saints, cats, swans, pies are all home. Hate to say it but the only team I can see dropping are Freo if they run out of momentum in the run home. Don't think it will happen though.

Top 9 are set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back