Is this where Collingwood falls away?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood don’t choke in finals. I’m fact they haven’t gone out in straight sets since 1988. They’ve had the double chance 9 times since 2002 as well. Only twice since 2002 have they failed to win a final. They always perform well in finals. Grand finals not so much but they give fans plenty to cheer about in September…
LOL....delusional....long live the Colliwobbles

Yeah it is genuinely tricky to find examples of someone limping towards finals but still winning anyway.

West Coast in 2018 for their last 8 games went 6-2, so you can say that the 3-2 example is slightly misleading. The North loss was weird admittedly (but back then North were seriously good in Hobart), but the Melbourne game was a close one with Melbourne having more to play for. For the most part their form had largely remained the same throughout the season. In contrast I think Richmond arguably peaked too early that year, three of their last four H&A games they won by under 2 goals (the other game against the Suns who had won one game after Round 5 that year).

2016 the Dogs arguably were limping towards finals that year (went 3-3 from their last six games) and lost to a side that went 4-18 in the last round, but that flag win was so unlikely I don't think it means much going forward.

The other two examples where you could argue that a side that was struggling pre-finals but still won the Premiership was 2012 and 2009. In 2012 Sydney went 1-3 in their last four H&A fixtures, but two of those three losses were close ones against fellow Top 4 teams (Hawthorn and Collingwood), and the other one against Geelong in Geelong. Even when Sydney were flying those games would've been 50/50 or so, so I don't think it's that comparable to the Pies form slump.

2009 might be the one that gives Collingwood optimitism, though. After going 13 in a row Geelong went 5-4 for the rest of the season, but three of those five wins were by less than a goal. The other two wins came against Melbourne and Fremantle at home....they were legitimately playing kind of bad prior to finals but turned out fine. That's probably the only recent example of a side doing the whole "train ultra hard, mix a few things around and cop a few losses late in the season" thing and it actually working.
Although Collingwood didn’t win in 2002, that GF never had a margin of double digits and could have gone either way right until the Akermanis goal with 5 mins to go

That season Collingwood were horrendous in the last 4 games, having only beaten cellar dweller StKilda by 11 points. They turned it around in the QF beating Port away with Buckley (one of its best ever finals performances) and then backed it up against Adel.

Yeah I know they didn’t win but point is Collingwood turned it around damn quickly in the finals despite a horrible final 4 games

I feel like we are judged different to other teams. We will either end up with the most wins or equal most wins for the season however the media and other supporters think we should be winning more? Form isn't great but we can get that back in the last game hopefully.

Regardless of what the Pies do next week, the team is still limping into the finals. That’s fact. History has shown what premiership sides produce leading into September. Can the Pies be an outlier? Possibly. But recent history has shown that is extremely unlikely.

Regardless, it’s a very even season and looks like there are 5 teams in it this year. Yeah I think the Blues have a chance. Although one of my Blues mates was already talking up attending the GF. Arrogant twat👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never convinced me as much as the media pundits/posters here. Just rely too much on quick run and gun rebounding and coming back. Still a very good side, but not surprised They're firmly amongst the pack. I don't know if they can turn it around but gonna be an interesting.

Frontrunners all year until the Power showed everyone how to counter their gameplan, and now have dropped 3 out of 4.

Historically mentally weak as a club. So many wobbles. Would anyone be surprised Bombers beat them again next week?

Calling it now: Pies wont win again in 2023.
Your call is stupid. More hope than anything. Here’s mine GWS next week by 30 then by 45 when the blues meet them a week later or the swans. I hope.

Have to make history if they win it from here. I don't think its likely. I think they went too hard too early. The past is littered with unbeatable teams early in the season who faltered and ran out of steam at the business end of the year. Richmond did it in 2018 and learned to time its run in 2019 & 2020, Geelong did it last year, Melbourne in 2021. I think both Port and the Pies will struggle from here on while Brisbane and Melbourne have timed their runs beautifully. Hell, Carlton and GWS may even go deeper into the finals than the Pies.

Why does it surprise you?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

When it comes to the s**t we give it's only because we've copped it from Carlton supporters in the first place. It's not a one-way street.

For what it's worth I've enjoyed watching Carlton play recently and if it wasn't for your fan base I would love to see you guys win one soon.
Go and cry me a river son.:D One flag and twenty seven wooden spoons.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back