Toast Isaac Smith-250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

The man who was once our enemy yet won us a game after the siren 😂
Super player for hawthorn and has been a great get for us doesnt show any signs of slowing down and on track for consecutive high B & F finishes.

Hope we can win in his 250th game.

Super recruit. I wasn’t thrilled to get him but he has been a great addition at low cost.

250 games a great achievement and even I can forgive the first 210 of them. ;)

Last edited:

For the budget price we paid (ie nothing except salary), he's been one of the best recruits of the Chris Scott era. Not in the blockbuster trade category of PFD or Jez, but very much in the Tuohy, Hendo and Rivers group of acquisitions who proved strong contributors to the club. :thumbsu:

I visited the I was wrong thread bc of him.

Had little to no interest when i heard he was coming to KP.

Fed me my hat, my words and good dose of STFU.

Deserved it to.

He's been instrumental in providing drive off HB and running the wings - and remember he's shouldered much of that load sans Menegola who provides much of the same running capacity on the other side.

Has fitted in extremely well.

I can also respect his time at the Hawks - as he's brought the same to us as he brought to them.

Part of the reason I hate and respect the Hawks was bc of this guy.... so respect as player in both jumpers.

Good on him - unlikely to get the 100 as a Cat lol but geez it would be handy

Welll done Sac.

GO Catters

Was fantastic last year. The end is coming quickly this year. This is probably his last season.

not really sure what i think of him. The first thing that comes to mind is that 60 metre bomb in the 2008 grand final that broke us. The second thing that comes to mind was his weird smile and point after the siren that gave us harry taylors post game wacky adventure run. im still comfused by it.

Was fantastic last year. The end is coming quickly this year. This is probably his last season.

not really sure what i think of him. The first thing that comes to mind is that 60 metre bomb in the 2008 grand final that broke us. The second thing that comes to mind was his weird smile and point after the siren that gave us harry taylors post game wacky adventure run. im still comfused by it.

The bomb in 2008 was dew. Smith was only drafted in 2010. Gee he broke us in some later finals though. Loved the smile then the after the siren miss. Quirky blokes him and harry.

The bomb in 2008 was dew. Smith was only drafted in 2010. Gee he broke us in some later finals though. Loved the smile then the after the siren miss. Quirky blokes him and harry.
Holy crap you are right. My mind remembers it as smith like light and day. Just shows you the mind is terribly dodgy. Go by the stats instead.

I never got the blow up about the smile. Clearly to me at least he was laughing at something Mitchell said to him, he sure didn’t look confident or like he was smiling about how easy the kick would be or something.

He’s been an excellent contributor for us, his decision making is generally very good and he’s one of our better players at knowing when to dump kick for territory when we are under pressure, and when to actually take on the defence and look for a teammate. Good runner, tries his guts out every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I visited the I was wrong thread bc of him.

Had little to no interest when i heard he was coming to KP.

Fed me my hat, my words and good dose of STFU.

Deserved it to.

He's been instrumental in providing drive off HB and running the wings - and remember he's shouldered much of that load sans Menegola who provides much of the same running capacity on the other side.

Has fitted in extremely well.

I can also respect his time at the Hawks - as he's brought the same to us as he brought to them.

Part of the reason I hate and respect the Hawks was bc of this guy.... so respect as player in both jumpers.

Good on him - unlikely to get the 100 as a Cat lol but geez it would be handy

Welll done Sac.

GO Catters
Gee I wish we had him from the beginning. Apparently we were really keen on him but Hawks beat us to him. Been a fantastic player over the journey with little sign of slowing down. I can easily see him as a Mundy type who plays well into their 30s, so I can envisage him reaching 100 games for us.

Gee I wish we had him from the beginning. Apparently we were really keen on him but Hawks beat us to him. Been a fantastic player over the journey with little sign of slowing down. I can easily see him as a Mundy type who plays well into their 30s, so I can envisage him reaching 100 games for us.
As long as he’s legit best 22 which he easily is atm I have no problem with this.

It is always a topic of contention for Geelong fans about using old players etc and I do understand it I really do, but if someone commands a place on merit I don’t see why you wouldn’t keep them on if your side is still competitive.

If we were bottom 8 absolutely I would understand why you would pick a kid over a veteran who pound for pound is currently a better player but if you’re in the mix with the top half of the comp I don’t really see any reason to not pick them.

His footy for us has been genuine class, almost every week. Certainly had me massively ratcheting up my somewhat limited expectations for what he was going to bring, based on how much he's contributed and how consistent he's been.

More than anything, though, I just love how much he loves footy. Nobody in the entire comp plays the game with more of a smile on their face than our #7. Must be genuinely infectious out there for the boys. And I think it's made a really positive difference to a group that hasn't always looked like they're loving their football. Clearly a teammate that is really esteemed across the group, despite his very short history in the hoops.

Great story about him on the club pod as well this week, underlining the simple values that he brings to playing footy. Domsy was talking about walking away from GMHBA after a recent game when he heard someone calling out to him from the road. Turns out it was Isaac riding his bike home from the ground. They stopped and chatted, with Isaac making the point about how much he loves the idea of cruising home from the game on his bicycle. So much much relaxing than having to jump in the car and get yourself home from the 'G. He clearly loves the 'pace' of life down at the club and is totally satisfied with the decision he made to head down the highway. And considering the Dees were into him about leaving the Hawks as well, we can be very well satisfied with how this has all panned out.

I also don't see the marked 'slowing down' that others are referencing and hope we can enjoy more of his run, dare, and long left peg for plenty of games to come. Quality character and class footballer for mine. What's not to like?

Love your work, Smitter.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back