Toast Isaac Smith-250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays the game as it should be played IMO..all class on and off the field and done with a smile on his face.

Top class individual. We are better for having you around the club.

Go get em Isaac.

Last edited:

Became a fan favourite pretty quickly when switching over from the dark side and it’s not hard to see why! Very down to earth and just loves to play footy, he fit in with our team values really well. Would have loved him to get to 100 games so we could pinch a father son from Hawks, but I guess immortalising him as a Cats Norm Smith Medalist will have to do!
Congrats Issie

I'm still pissed off we didn't pick him up in his draft year

What a fantastic career he has had, and wonder if he's interested in playing VFL for a year or two, as it would be great having someone like him leading the youngsters

Has made an enormous contribution to our football club, given how little time he was actually playing with us. How many players have played so few years with the Cats and still exerted such a mighty influence over our team's fortunes?

His efforts on the field have been often heroic. His attitude to winning, losing and the whole footy lifestyle has been refreshing to watch and clearly instructive for the wider playing group. And it appears that he's a teammate that you simply can't help but love.

Looked good in the hoops. Played well in the hoops. And goes out as a premiership hero in the hoops. It's a brilliant story that reflects a really quality character.

Thanks for everything, Smitter. It's been immense.

Last edited:
I know we've been frustrated with some of Smith's efforts as this season has gone on - he's never been a "tough" player but maybe mental and physical fatigue have taken their toll. It will never detract from the positive influence he's made on our club in a short time.

But anyway, he was a hugely important acquisition for us. The hard running, prolific wingman we'd been crying out for. It allowed Duncan to be a quarterback in defence, and together with Holmes we finally had dynanism on both wings. No more trialling Blicavs there either, so we could use him as a crucial stoppage midfielder.

He was strong even when we stuttered in 2021, was a big piece of our premiership success and a shining light early in the year when few others were performing. Also hugely underrated for his incredible stint at Hawthorn.

Well done Izzy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember that final for north ballarat where he destroyed it in 2010-wanted us to pick him so bad instead of smedts. In the end its nice that we got him at the tail end of his career, such an underrated super player and just a genuinely loveable bloke. Hope he stays around the club in an off field capacity.

I know we've been frustrated with some of Smith's efforts as this season has gone on - he's never been a "tough" player but maybe mental and physical fatigue have taken their toll. It will never detract from the positive influence he's made on our club in a short time.
There have been times this year where he's looked well off the pace. And even times where his heart hasn't appeared to be completely in it, either.

Having said that, I thought I glimpsed a couple of really positive efforts from him in the last quarter against the Power. A couple of contests where he just had to put his body on the line and crash through in pursuit of the footy, and he absolutely did. I felt as though they stood out because I hadn't seen much of that from him at all in recent times. And the ball ended up either rolling our way (or at least being neutralised, via a stoppage) when he cracked in hard.

So hopefully he can bring this same sort of intensity to his final games, and thus provide a fitting swansong to what has been a truly remarkable AFL career.

Im pretty sure I was stoutly indiffernt about this when it was floated about his signing to us.

I now stand with a full dip of the hat to Izzy - we dont win 22 without his contributions and more than that, what he's brought to the club off the field in terms of leadership and development cant be underestimated.

Im not sure he'll stay down our way - although he said he loves the coast and lifestyle - but maybe he will keep invovled with the club in some way.

Regardless of the future - he will always be a part of the GFC past and i'll forever laugh with him at the things he dif for Geelong... both in the Hoops and out of it.

GO Catters

Undoubtedly our best FA pick-up to date and one of the better players we've brought into the club over the last decade, full stop.

Always stung a bit seeing him play in the poo-and-pee knowing we could've picked him up instead of Smedts. Glad we still got three great years from him.

Played his role perfectly and if he's slowed down a bit this year, it's 100% understandable.

The Norm Smith was just a welcome cherry on top of all that. Can't be many players with 4 cups in their career, let alone the last as a result of a move to a different club and getting BOG in the grand final.

I don’t think I have ever seen a player enjoy his footy on field more than this bloke. It is a pretty instructive attitude for others - if you let yourself enjoy your footy you will likely have a longer career.

Has been a great addition to the Cats, and has made a big contribution in a relatively short period of time.

I will forever be grateful for the money he won me when he saluted as norm smith in 2022.

It took a Hawthorn champion to finally get you baggers over the finish line ;)

The one consolation to Geelong winning a flag was Smith winning. No doubt will be revered by both clubs for eternity. :thumbsu:

It took a Hawthorn champion to finally get you baggers over the finish line ;)

The one consolation to Geelong winning a flag was Smith winning. No doubt will be revered by both clubs for eternity. :thumbsu:
Was happy for Isaac to win the Norm Smith (but still think Danger was BOG).

One of my favourite Hawks, such a positive influence at Geelong, and proof that veterans can add value to new clubs as opposed to becoming list cloggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back