Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

The underlying argument has merit however. Using a 4 round period to say what he can do, when there is a huge body of evidence of your normal average yearly performance, does seem to be reaching.
The problem is, even without the injury, he most likely would’ve posted similar numbers anyway. He’s always been inconsistent, and I don’t mean great and really poor, just never consistently great.
He’s had good patches every year, early 2019 he was on fire but then sorta just ended up being good. He’s a good player, but has never taken his game to the next level for a full year.
Obviously sandwiched between Kelly and Bont he gets a lot of stick, but if you look at that draft I’d still say he’s definitely a top 10 pick.

Lol it says Richmond Rd5 in the post you quoted.

Yeah agreed, not particularly keen.
That’s not the original post
Cool so you reply to posts you don't read?
what? I think you’re confused. You’ve jumped in halfway through a conversation and don’t understand what’s going on.
BrutThough covered off which rounds the injuries occurred, that post is at the bottom of page 12 of this thread.

It was after philthy posted asking about it. Reasonable question, since answered.

Can we move on now?

The problem is, even without the injury, he most likely would’ve posted similar numbers anyway. He’s always been inconsistent, and I don’t mean great and really poor, just never consistently great.
He’s had good patches every year, early 2019 he was on fire but then sorta just ended up being good. He’s a good player, but has never taken his game to the next level for a full year.
Obviously sandwiched between Kelly and Bont he gets a lot of stick, but if you look at that draft I’d still say he’s definitely a top 10 pick.

Being pedantic here now but I don’t think Billings would stay in the top 10 if there was a redraft of that year. Others I’d have ahead of him and not in any particular order;

Bont
Kelly
Salem
Sheed
Cripps
Jones
Crouch
Merrett
Nankervis
Brown
DBJ
Amon
Sicily

and then Billings.

Id still take Billings at Port as a FA for a reasonable contract (500k x 4 perhaps) as I think he could complement Rozee and Butters but it seems it’s never 100% clicked for him to play consistently at a high level. As you mentioned for one reason or another he’s just always been inconsistent but on his day can be a match winner.

Being pedantic here now but I don’t think Billings would stay in the top 10 if there was a redraft of that year. Others I’d have ahead of him and not in any particular order;

Bont
Kelly
Salem
Sheed
Cripps
Jones
Crouch
Merrett
Nankervis
Brown
DBJ
Amon
Sicily

and then Billings.

Id still take Billings at Port as a FA for a reasonable contract (500k x 4 perhaps) as I think he could complement Rozee and Butters but it seems it’s never 100% clicked for him to play consistently at a high level. As you mentioned for one reason or another he’s just always been inconsistent but on his day can be a match winner.
Entitled to your opinion, but I'd take Billings career over Salem, Jones, Nank, DBJ, Amon. Probably borderline with Sicily and Brown a little bit different as he didn't come into the AFL as an 18 year old. Nank obviously a premiership player but has played what? 2 full years in his career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well worth a look then for someone imo as long as Saints wouldn't match
Billings is unreliable. Saints would almost be better not to match should the situation present itself.

He is one player that really saddens me how his career has progressed (form and injury). In full fight he is pure class and a joy to watch, just does not happen enough.

Billings is unreliable. Saints would almost be better not to match should the situation present itself.

He is one player that really saddens me how his career has progressed (form and injury). In full fight he is pure class and a joy to watch, just does not happen enough.

that sounds like the career development issue as opposed to issue to di with the individual.

Very ordinary footballer, been a big disappointment. Find him average at most things and has zero impact on game.

Prob only worth a 2nd rounder in a trade if a contract was matched.

Really not that fussed either way.

He isn’t worth a salary that gets anywhere near band 1 compo.

Unfortunately a change of scenery will prob bring out better in him.

This thread is a good indication of the general apathy - 13 pages on a former pick 3 entering his prime years.

I’d prefer to keep him on moderate coin than just let him go. He does have some class and is a good user.

Last edited:
Tested the market.
Found out no other club was prepared to pay him close to what he was on.

It’s disappointing, really.

The Saints have overpaid him, and others of his generation, in order to meet salary cap minimums. I’m sure St Kilda would have reminded him of this fact when in negotiations, and I would have hoped Billings and his management would have clearly seen this to be true. If they tested the waters with genuine expectations, then they’re deluded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back