Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

Mav stole a goal off JB today!
Add that, his kick to the top of the square when he should have gone for goal, Dunstan overlooking him when Jack was in a much better spot (but still converting), Steven overlooking him and deciding to go for a more contested shot (but still converting), his 'nearly' mark in the goal-square and Bruce going back for a set shot when Jack was all alone in the goal square (luckily, also converted) and Jack could have had 4 or so. He gets himself in the right positions, which is why I'm sure he'll make it as a mid, he's so clever. Most talented footballer on our list (behind St Nick, of course).

Would people agree if I said that yesterday was one of Jack's best games (top 5, behind vs Essendon 2014 and 2015, West Coast, Bulldogs)? Probably our best on in the first quarter, some really impressive body work and ball winning and very very neat with the ball, as always. Starting to push higher up the ground, slowly working his way into midfield.

Would people agree if I said that yesterday was one of Jack's best games (top 5, behind vs Essendon 2014 and 2015, West Coast, Bulldogs)? Probably our best on in the first quarter, some really impressive body work and ball winning and very very neat with the ball, as always. Starting to push higher up the ground, slowly working his way into midfield.

Some of his kicks both on the left and the right, were so penetrating, it opened up the Hawks defense, allowing us to slice straight through. So glad we have him.

I thought Jack's ball-use was probably the best it has been. Would have been nice for him to hit the scoreboard though, but he did pass off one or two unselfishly. The more experience he gets, the better he will be.

Just looked deadly all game. Didn't waste a disposal. Oozes class does Jack.

Jack's kicking prowess will become even more damaging as the quality of the people around him improves in the next few years. He will be able to reward hard running into space with his deadly boot and vision.

Jack's kicking prowess will become even more damaging as the quality of the people around him improves in the next few years. He will be able to reward hard running into space with his deadly boot and vision.
Spot on, already this year there have been multiple occasions when either the player receiving's running has been slightly off, or they can't hold on to a mark from JB's kicking. One thing's for sure, it's a bloody weapon and is one reason that has me wanting JB to stay as a half-forward.

How is it that Billings position in the team is never questioned? Apart from the Bulldogs game what else has he done this year? He looks intimidated at times to me, With Schneider & Sinclair going out it saves him, but it is time for him show a bit this week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it that Billings position in the team is never questioned? Apart from the Bulldogs game what else has he done this year? He looks intimidated at times to me, With Schneider & Sinclair going out it saves him, but it is time for him show a bit this week!
Are you saying his pass mark is basically tearing a game up? Hes only a 2nd year player. Been pretty solid from what I've seen.

He's averaging over 20 touches and nearly a goal a game...

The bulldogs game is the exact reason why you don't drop Billings.

He's averaging over 20 touches and nearly a goal a game...

Yeah Billings has been more than serviceable in most games this year and played his role, he's not going to tear games apart like he did against the Dogs every week but he's shown that he can be a matchwinner when he gets enough ball within scoring distance and players like that are like gold.

To even suggest he should be dropped is madness, although he may need the odd rest like Dunstan so as he doesn't get burnt out.

You're surely pulling our leg?

Are you taking the p1ss ?

Not at all - Im just not sold on Billings...2nd year or otherwise, just cant warm to him as a future star midfielder!

What about a star half forward ala Chapman or Akermanis?

Not at all - Im just not sold on Billings...2nd year or otherwise, just cant warm to him as a future star midfielder!
That's fair enough, but to drop a bloke who is not only our best field kick but is averaging 20 touches and a goal a game from half fwd as 20 game, 19 year old, is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Without wanting to put too much pressure on a kid, and with most supporters not seeing some of the match simulation and game sense work that goes on during pre season /at training....
Jack Billings is the most insanely talented kid I've ever seen arrive at St Kilda, including players like Hayes, Riewoldt etc. The kid is going to lead us to some good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back